AMA Thursday with Boone

@cade did the math and said there are five available for 2020. Believe that’s correct. So enough for Cade, Bryce, Isaiah Todd, JT Thor and Davonte Davis (crosses all fingers…)

As for Bryce-Cade, there’s definitely nothing set in stone yet. I talked to someone recently who told me they’ve connected and talked on the phone, but they’re not best buds. If there’s a package in place, no one – not even Bryce’s dad – knows about it (or at least are letting it be known publicly).

1 Like

A couple others, because why not?

1. If we do get CC, how much should we troll Kentucky fans who have been talking trash for weeks now and, follow-up, if the answer is not As Much As Possible, why not?

2. Do you see any more flippable players either for or against OSU this year?

1 Like

How do you think the RB depth shakes out through the year? Does LD keep the #2 spot?

1 Like

Yeah, it’s been dead period for the last month, which is why. But still plenty of targets left. They need a running back, so Daniyel Ngata and Isaiah Jacobs are on the radar. They also need at least one (maybe two) receivers, so Jay Wilkerson, Loic Fouonji and Matt Polk are on the radar there.

Other names to watch OLB Jabar Triplett, ILB Derrick Lewis. Lot of names still out there and yet to be discovered. They have 14 commits but can take as many as 25.

I can honestly say I’ve never done this. But if you have … well, that’s intense.

1 Like

In-N-Out and it’s not close. Chick-Fil-A is ELITE – the service, the food, *the sauce! *-- no matter what some naysayers (cough PORTER cough) have to say.

1. This month. I think a receiver is next on the commitment watch. Jay Wilkerson, Loic Fouonji or Matt Polk are up soon. I’m eyeing in-state RB Isaiah Jacobs, too. Seems like he could be considering OSU pretty seriously
1 Like

Baylor in football seems to always be that school. I think we underestimate the value of just simply being a major university located in Texas can do for recruiting.

As for basketball, I’ve been surprised to see West Virginia do so well lately. They landed two top-100 players in 2019 and already have one in 2020. Just isn’t really a place where I can see recruits filing in to.

1 Like

Do you think that The Athletic hates the Big 12? They only have writers for OU, UT, and West Virginia…

Meanwhile, Arkansas and South Carolina have dedicated beat writers. As do Cincinnati and Boise State.

North Texas and SMU have had more coverage on The Athletic in the last two years than Oklahoma State… am I wrong to think that this is outrageous?

Bryce is going to play for sure. He redshirted last year and will start along the OL. Ford will play a bunch, too, and if he’s healthy I suspect they’ll use him more than four games and burn his redshirt. From what I saw against Oregon State they can use him a lot.

As for other players that could wind up not burning a redshirt, my guess is that Jayden Jernigan, Na’Drian Dizadare, Tom Hutton and Thomas Harper are locks to play most of the season. LB Kamryn Farrar and WR Langston Anderson are two guys I’m interested in – both drew strong reviews in camp and could see the field in some capacity. Depending on the depth, maybe they play no games, or maybe four, or heck, maybe eight.

Troll away. All day. If Cade comes, UK fans are going to be absolutely pissed, and it’s going to be splendid.

Secondly, the only flippable player that comes to mind is 2020 hoops commit Davonte Davis. If both Cade and Bryce come, is Boynton prepared to take three guards – all of whom can and have in the past played point guard? I think he’s all in, so my guess is yes. But that could be a crowded freshman backcourt. At the moment I think the football commits are locked in.

1 Like

So I actually talked to someone about this over the weekend. Observers at camp thought LD had a terrific offseason and a strong camp. So to see him look kinda meh in Game 1 was … surprising.

Problem is, the depth isn’t quite there. Dezmon Jackson’s been banged up. Deondrick Glass showed up to camp fat. Jahmyl Jeter is kinda Desmond Roland 2.0. The next guy up behind Chuba might be former walk-on Micah Cooper.

I’ll keep asking as long as there’s time!

Another two, more down the line ones.

1. Say, by some miracle, we take the natty this year. It’s not happening, but let’s say the stars are aligned perfectly, bombs drop on Norman, Tuscaloosa, Athens, and Clemson, and it happens. Does Gundy retire on top? If he does, who replaces him?

2. Do you think it’s possible for our football program to dramatically improve our recruiting (not necessarily this year, but in general) and how would we realistically do that?

1 Like

What is your opinion of Gundy’s theory that hiring OC from lower divisions will improve the duration of their tenure? I don’t see the logic as I prefer coordinators to bring D1 experience. I think Gleeson will prove to be a much better hire than MY and not spend 5 years in Stillwater.

1. If Gundy won a natty, I can see him doing the opposite of going out on top. He’d probably flirt with Tennessee, renegotiate another lifetime contract and then never ever go on the recruiting trail again. If he did retire, though, I think the name everyone around OSU thinks will get a serious look is this guy.

2. I don’t think OSU will ever improve in recruiting as long as Gundy is at the helm. It’s not a priority for him. I’m not saying this to dog on him, but he’s content with recruiting leftovers and trying to outperform expectations, maybe win 10 or 11 games. Only way OSU will get better in recruiting is if the head coach leads the charge (a la Boynton in basketball).

1 Like

Meh. I get it. But if you consider yourself a top-20 program, why not go hire a top-20 coordinator? I think the Gleeson hire was a good one that will work great, but plucking from lesser leagues just to try and look smart has potential to backfire and make you look like a big dummy.

1 Like

I appreciate the honesty there, but man, that recruiting truth (and it is a truth) is so appalling that it makes me a bit sick.

2 Likes

It just kind of is what it is at this point, but yeah, it’s a weird deal.

All right thanks all for joining. If you guys liked this, maybe we will try to make this a weekly ordeal.

6 Likes

Did anyone call out to Sanders that he didn’t need to hurdle the defender if he would of dumped the ball to the receiver that the defender left to put pressure on him? There was no one with 15 yards of him running down the sideline.

1 Like