AMA Thursday with Boone

There is a significantly different style in kicking an Aussie Football to an American Football. Aussies kick with their football vertical generally and kicking into the ball more soccer style on the drop vs the American dropping the ball horizontal and kicking up. Aussie Rules players do have legs and it is a closer transition than just grabbing a soccer player, but there still is an adjustment. Not saying he will be good or won’t be good just adding some color.

Realize the AMA is done, but…This about recruiting has me wondering.

It came out a few weeks ago about Georgia spending 3 million on recruiting. A quick looks shows Georgia and adjoining states account for more than 30% of blue chip recruits. Georgia being the first choice for a lot of those (until this year GT wasn’t even competing in state due to system) and no worse than what 4th for anyone?

We won’t ever be able to spend that much, Oklahoma and adjoining states account for 17% of blue chip recruits and we’re at best hoping to be 4th choice for blue chips behind Texas, OU and A&M.

I guess I sorta feel like the structure of CFB makes it very tough to break into the top tier of recruiting like you can in BB.

2 Likes

This may be true and we may never become elite in recruiting. I get that. But there is zero reason why we should be only slightly above TULANE in recruiting rankings. We are one of the winningest teams of the last decade, but we are still (well, Gundy is still) content to bring in the second or third-tier players without even putting up a fight for a blue-chip recruit aside from once in a blue moon. We don’t need to be #1 in recruiting or even #10. But a consistent top-25 class is not too much to ask for and the fact that we aren’t there is a direct indictment of how little our HC prioritizes a full third of his job.

From what I can tell, to get more 4 or 5 star recruits than anything else, you have to recruit at a top 15 level. Outside of that, I’m somewhat skeptical of how much difference it makes since it comes down to 24/7 grading out your 3 stars a tenth of a point better than South Carolina’s. I’d posit that the gap between 25th and 40th is much less and more easily overcome than the gap between 15th and 25th. An outstanding QB can do most of that work for you.

6 Likes

Perhaps, but it’s a perception thing. If you’re always in the top-25 in recruiting, you can use that with recruits to help convince them to make that better. If you’re languishing in the low-30s and 40s, it’s a harder sell. Whether or not there’s a significant difference in quality doesn’t really matter - it’s the fact that we are such a winning team and recruiting at such a crap level that appears - and rightfully so - that we don’t really care about recruiting. That isn’t a winning strategy and just leads to fans (myself included, sadly) feeling slightly resentful about the fact that we invest so much time and energy and money into a program that isn’t led by someone who is willing to go all-in to improve.

2 Likes

Gosh that 5’-5" Oregon State dude scared me a couple times. Although with the new rules return men aren’t quite as valuable as they once were. Justin Gilbert :eyes:

@kyleboone when you say recruiting is not a priority for Gundy what are you basing that on? Has he said this in the past or are you assuming this based on previous results? Most every pledge I’ve seen interviewed has credited Gundy in the recruiting process. I’m just wondering if you say this based on fact or opinion. If it’s based on fact, I’d like to know what you know.

2 Likes

Amen brother …been on computer ‘do loop’ on recruiting topic for decade. Indeed, we only need to be ‘consistently’ anywhere from 15-25 ranking every class. To achieve that range on consistent basis is the difference between 2-3 four star recruits per class to 8-10 four star recruits per class. Our average player ratings per class needs to be in range of 87-90 range every class…OSU is more than capable…it IS NOT all brand and geography …a huge component is the quality of the recruiter…the Gundy staff (exception Dunn -Arroyo-Yurcich-Henson etc) historically have NOT proven to be quality recruiters…so far, Gleeson has shown some recruiting moxy …

IMO the solution has been unders Gundy’s nose the whole time. While Gundy preaches the regional approach luckily he has hired some assistants that don’t follow his lead.

Yurcich signed QBs from South Carolina, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Georgia, and California.

Arroyo signed Hubbard from Canada and King from Georgia in the same class.

Spencer signed several from Georgia.

Gleeson tapped the CA market for his first QB commit.

IMO what needs to happen is locking up the state of Oklahoma for recruits that don’t go to OU. It was great getting Trace Ford last year, but would have been even better if they could have gotten Collin Clay who went to Arkansas. Beyond that find talent from other P5 regions that don’t have offers from regional P5 programs. oSu did that with MR, Costello, and Shane Illingworth. Then use Gundy’s approach of regional players to fill out classes.

Wait, you mean that NOT focusing on TX/OK/KS/maybe LA exclusively for recruits can bring in new players that could be even better? Blasphemy! We win a Big 12 title maybe every decade - clearly the old ways are working.

/insert as much sarcasm as possible

1 Like

I’m basing it off fact. I’ve talked to numerous people inside the OSU program who flat-out admit that recruiting is the one area Gundy can improve in, but he has little desire to do so. Gundy does less work as the frontline recruiter than most coaches in college football. He puts the responsibility on his assistants and then tries to close deals, but he’s not leading the charge like a lot of other CFB coaches who make it their top priority.

3 Likes

That’s just so infuriating to hear as a fan. It’s one thing to be bad at something. That’s understandable and it fine. It’s another to willfully choose to REMAIN bad because you aren’t interested in what would be required to be better. As far as I’m concerned, that’s pretty clear-cut negligence and Holder should privately talk to him and demand improvement or figure out a way to draw penalties out of his contract. Otherwise, it’s another 10 years of poor-to-average recruiting, 3rd place at best finishes, maybe one more win against OU, and a storage locker full of outdated memes.

2 Likes

Those are not 60 yard punts are they? The ball is being snapped at the 30 and being caught around the 25. Looks more like 45-50. Still not too shabby I guess.

Love the scenario. Win the natty, Gundy retires and then we bring someone in who can recruit… hahaha

I mean does anyone really think the day after winning a big 12 title gundy would jump on a jet and go recruit?

No, that would be silly. What kind of coach would win a game and then immediately turn around and go to recruit some-

…oh, right.

3 Likes

The guy in Norman called into espn from the jet to say they were excited about the title and it’s the best time to go recruit.

I mean we don’t really even put ourselves in a spot where we could win

Both being facetious about the same thing - we just took different routes to the same conclusion! I don’t know if that should make me laugh or incredibly sad because there are multiple examples.

1 Like

Lol who wants to tell him about our chances of winning a natty?

1 Like

Why is Zaxbys so underrated by the people that run this site?

1 Like