Any golfers?

I played it once last summer and wasn’t a fan. I’m in Edmond, love Lincoln. Golf Club of Edmond is good, but about $10 more for a round. It also eats my freaking lunch.

It’s wasn’t unplayable, but for $50 I was disappointed to say the least. A few tee shots that end up in a patch of dirt in the middle of the fairway. Fairways that were about 3-4 days over due for a mow. Greens were like putting on a cheese grater, if you weren’t directly behind a huge pile of sand. If it was half the price I wouldn’t really be complaining. If you’re gonna charge a premium over a city course it better be premium quality, not worse than a city course.

1 Like

Yeah, GCoE went up from right at $50 per round to I think $65, right? Just gouging people. Plus they took their unlimited range balls away. It’s an awesome course but the greens are some of the hardest in the metro and I feel like I could get just as much out of a round elsewhere for under $65. But those clubhouse breakfast burritos will keep me coming back.:joy:

That sounds like a nightmare. And absolutely, if the course is in bad shape they should discount it or warn you ahead of time. We drove an hour down to winter creek once, called ahead of time and said “how is the course?” And all he said back was “in good shape, just watered.” We get there, they still mention nothing about the course, then we go out to play and the whole back 9 had just been aerated 2 days prior. It was like putting on a plinko board. Pissed me off

1 Like

What is that little 5-second trick for contact that you were talking about?! I gotta know!

My issue was pulling or fading all of my irons so I couldn’t keep them straight. But Once you get to where you’re at least getting enough solid contact on the ball with your irons to get the ball in the air every shot, get up to the ball like you’re about to swing, and then let go of the club with your strong hand (right hand if you’re right handed) and just let it hang. If it falls toward your body when you let go of the club, you’re too far away. If it falls away from your body, you’re too close. You want to be where when you let your hand go, it falls straight down. Once you get there, you’re at the right distance from the ball and you can move your hands up and down the grip to get the right length. It’ll really tell you if your clubs are too short or long for you, but I’m cheap so I just choke up to the bottom of the grip and it worked beautifully lol. I still fade and draw some shots depending on how hard I swing, but I’m not hooking or slicing them much at all anymore.

Once you get proper stance, you can work on contact. With irons your divot ideally needs to be in front of the ball (striking down on the ball at contact). It’s a person by person thing but for me the easiest way to do that is by leaning the end of the club forward from the center of my body a few inches. It forces you to hit down on the ball and contact will be so much cleaner. Now you’re hitting solid contact and straight pretty much every shot.

1 Like

Choking down to the end of the grip helped me a lot. It gets the face of the club closer to your body so it’s easier to control your swing. People claim that it hurts distance but it added about 10 yards to each club for me. Probably because I’m making better contact but it doesn’t feel like it hurts distance at all. That doesn’t work for everyone though

1 Like

Thank you so much for the advice! Using a shorter putter has helped me “swing the pendulum” much more accurately. As a result, I don’t pull or push as many putts as I used to. Now, I’m only missing due to distance for the most part. The iron trick I will definitely try. Surprisingly, I play better at Links than Lakeside. Links is a narrower course thus forcing me to focus more, I guess. One thing that would really help my game is knowing my average distance for each iron. How do you figure that out?

Yeah power on putts is an issue for me too. I’ve noticed that extending your backswing on longer putts just makes it worse so I pull back the same length every time now and just change my speed through for power. Still isn’t awesome but it helps lol.

And I honestly just played a ton until I started noticing how far each club went. Crappy answer I know but the range doesn’t help, the yardages are always off due to the hitting area being moving up and back so much. You can go to a golf sim like at golf galaxy or something and they’ll show you how far they go on average, but the cost can pile up quick lol.

If you only go to Golf Galaxy one time…that cuts price down.

Very good point. But if you can figure out yardages with just one visit, please give me your secrets. :joy:

Outside of having a rangefinder and “figuring it out” (such as being 155 yards out several times and your 9 iron comes up 15 yards short consistently, so add 1-2 club lengths next time you are 155 out, etc) your best bet is downloading a GPS app such as 18birdies. Gives you a satellite view of each hole and you do point-to-point inputs based off your GPS location and assign what club you hit for each of those shots. A little time consuming to track every shot, but a free way to get the information you need to determine your distances with each club if you don’t know that already.

Easy rule of thumb is add 10 yards for every iron. If your pitching wedge flies 140yds, your 9 iron should be around 150ish, 8 iron around 160ish, so on and so forth. Lot of variables with that assumption but will get you in the ball park.

I’ve used the free version of 18 birdies for a while now, love it. I use it mostly as a rangefinder and to keep track of my scores, but I’m tempted to buy the premium membership to get all of the perks.

1 Like

Brilliant!

1 Like

PFB team played a scramble yesterday. Pretty fun and competitive outing. Colby and Seth beat Marshall, Devin and myself 70-69 at Lakeside.

4 Likes

I’d kill to scramble to a 70 or a 69. Kam and I played 18 at Links yesterday. Beat him 47-51 front 9, we scrambled back 9 to a 42.

2 Likes

Also, prayers continue going up for your recovery. The fact that you got to golf, let alone shoot a score that would kick my a## is so good to hear. Take care, brother. #PrayerPosse.

3 Likes

Thank you! Was great to get out. Have either been holed up or in treatment most of the last year. But feeling really good. And have scans/labs this week, so hoping for some positive news!

5 Likes

Not bad! Golf is #hard (this does not apply to Colby, however, who is probably good enough to be on the LIV tour)

4 Likes