Auburn DC Derek Mason Emerging as Candidate for OSU's DC Position, Per Report

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/auburn-dc-derek-mason-emerging-as-candidate-for-osus-dc-position-per-report/

Could the Cowboys swipe an SEC DC?

1 Like

While I will always be upset we couldn’t keep Knowles this or Joe Rossi would be amazing hires.

1 Like

When the ink hits the paper… I will believe it. Would be nice grab for oSu though.

3 Likes

Can anyone explain to me why he would come here? Potentially take a pay cut to move from a solid, and occasionally-contending SEC school that won a title as recently as 2010 to head to a slightly smaller brand team in a lesser conference?

2 Likes

Allegedly he isn’t too happy with Harsin. Could see the writing on the wall that Auburn fires Harsin next year and doesn’t want to deal with it. Or he’s trying to get a raise out of them.

4 Likes

Pass 61st defense way to low. Would rather have Jess Loepp he seems to be doing a better job a UTSA

The math does not add up. He made 1.5M this past year and the most we could offer Knowles was 1.3M. Not much in his resume looks that great to me.

2 Likes

I agree, I was not impressed with accomplishments that would deserve $1.5 million. Offer him half of that. Even if we countered Ohio State’s bid for Knowles I think he was still leaving because he wanted to play at a higher level where his team had a chance to win it all. I continue to have faith in Gundy to find the right fit. I guess no one in Division ll so far has impressed him. I can’t judge this candidate based on his gig at Vanderbilt because any head football coach there would have a losing record. They know how to play baseball.

3 Likes

My thoughts exactly… Betting we hear about him staying at Auburn or getting more money from another school. I am feeling a but like a ‘used cowboy’ already. :roll_eyes: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

I don’t believe it yet either. Maybe if we start a ‘Joe Bob’ petition… lol Our new DC really needs put to bed. :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face: GO POKES!!

1 Like

Man, grabbing an SEC coordinator would be a big boy move.

Shocking news today to learn that we lost another guy on defense, Bernard-Converse entered the portal! That really hurts. I wonder what is going on with those guys jumping ship from defense? Playing on one of the top 3 defenses in college to go to another school that has a lesser defense?

1 Like

This is exactly the type of hire I would like to see. Fits the hired hand approach so it most likely wouldn’t be for long but that I don’t mind. I am impressed with Gundy’s approach and that is a change from his OC hires post Monken.

Exactly!!! Once some fans avoid the attitude of “It’s better than it used to be!!!” Or “Just wait till next year!!!” I’m not believing what anyone says about our financial commitment to OSU football. Now it’s just my opinion, but I don’t think OSU’s administration will do anything along those lines as long as they think most of the fan base is satisfied currently.

Because those schools provide a bigger market and more awareness for NFL scouts and television sets. If he were to leave and succeed at a place like Ohio State or Michigan (or whatever blue blood school he goes to) the chances are his draft stock would be touted more and noticed more.

Giving him a chance at a higher draft grade. He’ll get more looks than someone else at a lower school. Of course that’s not the only thing. He would need to do well at the NFL combine, but it’s always been that way.

We only offered 1.3 Million to Knowles. If he’s already making 1.5 Million, I don’t see us getting Mason from Auburn. If we do offer enough to get Mason, I’ll be more disappointed that we didn’t increase our offer to Knowles, tbh.

1 Like

When the whole league is not running the spread it’s a whole lot easier to find a defensive coordinator that does well. That’s why every DC in the big twelve during that period sucked as LOL and every DC in the SEC was good. Not rocket science. When the other teams run more you defend less plays. The way the big twelve is playing football I think finding one is a whole lot easier than 5 years ago in our league. Just got to find a offensive coordinator that can call his own plays and a quarterback that keeps the ball away from the other team.

Much weaker conference. Did you see their bowl game result?

No way dude takes 1~1.2 mill so it ain’t gonna happen. Personally I would rather have Joe Bob as DC, I think he’s ready and hungry!

1 Like

Just like y’all wanted to give Kasey the oc job just so he wouldn’t leave.