Big 12 Has Reportedly Formed Subgroup to Explore Expansion

I love this idea. They could anchor the conference, no doubt, but I don’t see those programs joining the Big 12.

With Nebraska ego. I bet they are at least thinking about it.:crazy_face::upside_down_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::money_mouth_face::innocent::rofl::scream::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face:

I know it’s all about money for the conference but my god the football side of it…it’s like putting lipstick on a pig! Osu football will never be taken seriously or anybody in the big 12 and I can’t say this enough that the recruiting will go down and Osu football can’t afford to go down any further. That is if you have any aspirations of winning a playoff game. Bad bad bad for the football side of it.

1 Like

And if we do get to the playoff by having to go undefeated then the first game of playoff we will be playing the 1 seed or 2 every time.

everyone seems to be reacting like we have to do this tomorrow…lets dont chicken little this bump in the road…things are changing and will continue to change…dallas fort worth #5 according to nielson…houston #10 kc #32 okc #43 tulsa #58 waco #82 lubbock# 142…we will have plenty of viewers…lets stay in an area where fans can travel…without having to spend a 1500.00 to watch the cowboys play and the houston regent that got so angry…he term expires the end of this month

1 Like

If we stay in the big 8. If the playoffs are expanded to 12. The top two g5 champ will get into the playoff. Yes will will not get a bye. But a win gives us 1win extra on the way to the to the natty. Think positively.

I believe that a group of college players will bring an action against the NFL and college programs (NCAA, as well) under antitrust law for colluding against the players, thereby preventing the players from earning market value compensation for their services. In dicta, Brett Kavanaugh signaled this in a recent US Supreme Court case. If successful, the best high school players will be immediately eligible for the NFL draft. Of course, these players may not be physically ready to play in the NFL, yet, so the NFL will need a professional developmental league, ie, a minor league.

Will NFL teams work with college programs to have the minor league players play under a professional contract for a university, as a non-student? Hard to see how this unfolds.

I see college baseball as a potential model for a path forward. That is, students may choose to go pro or play college. Once this happens, will people be interested in college football? The players interested in college may choose a university like Stanford over Alabama, because that student chose college over a minor league contract. Those interested primarily in money will go straight to the minor leagues.

The same problem exists with the NBA.

1 Like

Your right about things could change but just commenting on the topic. But if your just looking at it from a fans perspective and want to travel cheaper to go watch games sure but if you care about the ultimate goal of the sport to win a championship, then expanding the big 12 in not the answer at all in my opinion.

This should have always been the model for all sports. Colleges are learning institutions

1 Like

I agree.

I also believe the alliance between the PAC 12, ACC, and B1G was formed to address this. The elephant in the room isn’t that UT and OU are headed to the SEC. Rather, it’s that we just had a sitting Supreme Court justice tell the country that the current college football system is illegal, as the NFL and NCAA have colluded to avoid paying players under an “amateurism” facade. UT is making over $200M dollars per year from unpaid laborers. Is this fair?

The players are, proverbially speaking, getting screwed.

2 Likes

Correct

iam living in the real world…jeff…you sound like a disney employee or stockholder…lets win the big 12 championship first…the big twelve has two years to figure this out…get the loose change that were owed…and lets add smu…houston…perhaps colorado #17…nebraska #107…we dont need an ou or tx…in my humble opinion…

Here to offer my school suggestions for expansion like everyone else. I ran some numbers based on the revenues provided here. Making the correlation that the higher the revenue the higher the market share. Ranking importance primarily by the amount of money/market a school can bring, then by location relevant to other conference schools, potential market growth, and lastly being good at football as playing well does offer the ability to increase market share. Notable missing figures are the private school’s revenues which for the most part aren’t too relevant.

Looking at the total conference revenue prior to the SECession we bring in around $1b, without Texas and OU that number drops to about $600M (OU and Texas combine for a whopping 2/5s! of our total revenue). So in simple terms we need to recover that missing revenue. The obvious choices of Houston, UCF, and Cincinnati bring down the deficit from around $400M to $170M still a substantial amount but easily fixable when expanding the conference to 16 teams. My suggestion is from there to add the following teams: East Carolina, Colorado St, Memphis, USF, and SMU. Which would eliminate the rest of the deficit bringing our total revenue above what we had prior, up to $1.1b (estimating around $50M for SMU). Note that these values are not accounting for any market growth these schools may experience from being in a higher caliber conference.

Now I know schools like BYU and Boise are popular here but I don’t know how feasible they are. Boise I think is just straight up a bad choice as the only thing they bring is being good at football on the odd occasion. Their revenue would be far and away the worst in the conference, even with the AAC addons, by about $5m and their market is extremely small leaving little to no growth opportunities. For reference, the population of the entire state of Idaho is about half of the city of Tampa.

BYU on the other hand is much harder to pass up, revenue wise they’re likely the closest (outside of maybe Houston) to current members; its hard to know since they’re private of course. They also have a strong hold on their market and being in a proper conference and being good to allow them to become more popular than their main competitor Utah. But the location is too awful to deal with, as a reminder they are nearly 2000 miles from WVU and would be 2400 miles to an obvious add like UCF. Even splitting the conference east/west they are still 800! miles to Texas Tech the nearest Big 12 school. Logistically they would be a nightmare and require extensive travel time for teams plus add in the religious scheduling rules they have that would affect other sports such as mbb and I think they are simply more trouble than they are worth.

On pulling teams such as Colorado, Nebraska, Mizzou. It’s not going to happen. Imagine jumping out of your cruise ship to land in a dingy with a leak. Colorado is the only with like a half percent chance of joining… That being said in the freaky world where any of the teams decides they want to help shovel out water, you take them.

Lastly on the subject of when to expand I think the best time is right now, like get these programs to join by the 2022 football season. If OU and Texas stay then fine have an 18 team conference for a couple of years could be fun, but if they decide to buy out then use their money to help negotiate a good TV/streaming deal. Kicking the can down the road has literally never worked for this conference, action is 100% necessary to keep this dingy a float and keep its current occupants from abandoning ship.

I agree with most of what you said but with Nebraska, the move for the football program has been a disaster. You could sell it to them with,

1. The winner of the conference will be in the playoffs.
  2. The reason for them leaving (Texas) is gone.
  3. They would be the big dog in the conference when making decisions.
  4. They would be recruiting in Texas again.

Most of it sounds good. I think everyone knows who we need to add. Some think we need less then 16.
Travel is a lil over played. One word Hawaii. Then there are the teams who play them.
Some dn’t want to go to the pac 12 because of travel. But fine having wv cincy usf and ucf. Then some want to also add temple,army and navy.

And the 25 million they will lose is ok. Are we going to supplement their pay. A share and a half. Same with vote in conf. Matters. Red carpet ever event. Imps throwing rose pedals before their feet, as they ride into the stadium on unicorns.

25 million? LMAO

I know u want Nebraska to come back. If add them and teams like byu and ucf can’t get us money then we are screwed. I dnot know have many millions they lose by not selling out football. It’s just a number they will lose if coming with us. So no their not.

Your math is as bad as your grammar. LOL

I throw a number out. Who knows what they would lose. Main they is they would lose. Go back and play with ur 6th sense buddy. U know the one who talks to dead people.