Big Ten Watch

Say it happens. Is it OSU and KU? Where does the rest of the Big 12 fall?

1. Who cares? Good riddance.

2. Maybe some of them merge with the PAC, maybe they grab more G5 teams and try to survive.

2 Likes

Love this thread

Baylor and tcu join smu liberty Tulane byu Vanderbilt Utah rice Georgetown Boston for the LOA conference - lawyers of America

5 Likes

Big 10 renegotiating their tv money after the 2022-2023 athletic season only impacts OSU in the fact that the Big 10 will set negotiate with tv networks on the 14 schools and then have written into contracts what additional money they could compile if they add certain schools. I think the Pac 12 GOR expiring is more an impact on what year we move. The Big 10 will make sure it is in the contract that they get their money whether teams are added in 2023, 2024, or 2025. This isnā€™t an if teams are added. It is a which teams are added.

3 Likes

I wanted to expound on this because this is VERY important for OSU, but I was at the basketball game last night and wanted to be able to put something together that was coherent. If the Big 10 reduces conference games and sets up more non-con games with the Pac 12 and ACC, Fox can televise their more than fair share of Alliance games between the Pac 12 and Big 10. Doing so means that the Big 10 (re: Fox) doesnā€™t have to add Oregon and USC and whoever else once the Pac 12 GOR ends to make sure that USC and Ohio State and Oregon and Michigan are playing every 3-4 years. That allows for schools who potentially add value to be added to the Big 10. OSU needs to demonstrate they add value to a tv contract. Thatā€™s why OSU has been putting out countless graphics about tv statistics and rankings and what not the last 6 months. They are actively making a pitch to the Big 10 (re: Fox) on a weekly basis.

6 Likes

Fox thought we were valuable this year.

3 Likes

They thought we were valuable compared to others in the Big 12. Do they think we add value to the Big 10? Thatā€™s the $25 million a year question. It sure would help if everyone would go ahead and turn on every tv in their house to whatever channel OSU will be on when travelling to Stillwater this fall.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll do anything if it means not having to play Iowa State anymore :triumph:

3 Likes

Are there ANY legs to any of this, or just pure speculation?

Unfortunately Nielsen ratings donā€™t track everyoneā€™s individual screens. They track a sampling (25k tvs) and then make estimates based off that. So while most of my tvs are turned on to Osu sports at one time unfortunately Iā€™m not fighting the good fight like I had hoped.

2 Likes

Guys, we are already in the Big 10ā€¦ :exploding_head:

11 Likes

I canā€™t wait two years for this to happen. :partying_face: :disappointed:

2 Likes

Thereā€™s legs for sure.

Bump. This is an important note on Big 10 expansion/tv deal/playoff expansion for this thread. Conference realignment hasnā€™t even started yet. Playoff expansion and new media rights for 3 of the 5 P5 conferences is going to burn down most everything we know about college football.

6 Likes

Anyone heard anything else about this?

Same as a few weeks ago. OSU is preparing for a move. Weā€™re looking at 18ish months before this is a thing.

4 Likes

Thanks! I guess Iā€™m buckling in for the long haul.

I would imagine it would be more like the OU/Texas to the SEC stuff where you donā€™t hear a whole lot and then all of a sudden it is happening. If it happens. Like I have said, others are way more confident that it is for sure happening where I have been told that OSU wants it and is going to do everything they can to make it happen. The Big 10 isnā€™t saying no at this point. This is going to be a Fox decision and weā€™ll see what tv deals look like in a year and a half.

2 Likes

Sign me up for us and Big Ten primetime games on Fox during November.

6 Likes