Bowl Game Thread

The playoff committee has an “anti-SEC bias”?

Huh…

1 Like

So this year will make 5 out of the last 6 bowl games that I’ve made it to. Unlike the last trips I don’t know anything at the bowl destination worth staying through New Years For. Is there anything in Houston that’s worth staying the extra days for?

Tamales

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that someone has composed this thought.

It’s a fair point. If the blue blood of the big12 can’t win a playoff game, none of the other schools will ever get the benefit of the doubt. Take a what if from this year, let’s say Baylor barely beats OU in the Big12 Championship. Anyone really believe Baylor would’ve been the 4 seed?

Maybe. That’s a close call.

Who is it you think they’d take? A 1-loss P5 conference champ is going to make it. They’ve consistently shown that having fewer losses is a primary qualification.

If you’re a golfer, Black Horse golf club in Cypress, TX is awesome. Two courses there. Houston might still be warm enough to play…

3 Likes

Honestly the comparison would have been cleaner if Utah won, but I really think if Baylor was the Big12 Champ they take a 2 loss Pac12 champ instead.

I think they would’ve taken Georgia.

2 Likes

If Utah won it’s a 1 loss team vs 1 loss team, and you’re saying they’d have selected the team most people think is better?

If they didn’t abandon the 1 loss teams are better than 2 loss teams paradigm in 2016 when they took Ohio State over Penn State, they aren’t going to in 2019 either.

I’ll have to check into that, the forecast looks like it might be in the high 60s down there!

Ok, see Baylor, TCU 2014. 1 loss Big 12 co-champs that got leaped over by Ohio St. You are going to argue back that Big12 didn’t play a championship game because you are so busy trying to find the apples and oranges excuse not to consider my point of view. My argument remains as un-provable as yours.

I believe that because of the perception that the Big12 doesn’t play defense and because of OU’s performances in the CFP that any non-OU Big 12 champ going forward is unlikely to get into a 4 team playoff. The experts on TV will find an argument to say the Big10 or Pac12 champ is better.

2 Likes

My argument is based on the data available. No 2 loss team has gotten in over a 1 loss team. Yes, sometimes they have to choose between 1 loss teams, but never have those teams been left out in favor of a 2 loss team. That has been true even when a 2 loss conference champ, PSU, is who gave 1 loss Ohio State their 1 loss. They still went with the 1 loss team.

If you believe that the best helmet sticker of 1 loss teams will always get in, then I agree. Had Baylor won, they would have been the only option and would have gotten in the same way Michigan State did.

3 Likes

Good points. When and if a 2 loss team gets in, it will be based on helmet stickers. A blue blood won’t jump another blue blood. But a 2 loss blue blood certainly might jump a 1 loss “regular” team.

Yep. It would have been interesting if Baylor had beaten OU, and Georgia had played LSU close. I think they might have gone Georgia in that case.

2 Likes

:eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:

5 Likes

All the eyeball emojis!

3 Likes

Man this got me super pumped. Please don’t let it be for nothin!

Here’s a question. What makes a bowl game pointless, or mean less than regular season games? Specifically in the context of if someone plays or not.