Cale Gundy, Brother of Mike Gundy, Resigns from Oklahoma's Staff after Reading 'Hurtful' Word

Originally published at: Cale Gundy, Brother of Mike Gundy, Resigns from Oklahoma's Staff after Reading 'Hurtful' Word | Pistols Firing

Gundy has been on OU’s staff for over two decades.

So surprised and sad to see that this happened. I believe this must have been a onetime mistake since in over 20 years there has not been an incident previously. I wonder if Venables wanted him out and this was an opportunity.

4 Likes

Yeah, my reaction was there has to be more to this than what was reported. You may be right, but if Venables used this as an opportunity to let him go, then it’s a classless move on his part.

3 Likes

Yes sirey bob. When that kid download it to twitter off his uo tablet we can all sing those words as it goes viral.

And he read it in front of the one who wrote it. Lol you got to love it.

They must be worried that his bother has rubbed off on him.

2 Likes

Some team is going to be getting a good assistant coach.

4 Likes

There’s a million ethnic challenges people out there laughing saying we got another one. I bet the replacement is not white.

2 Likes

Ive seen a bunch of that same sentiment on the OU boards. I dont really get that stance, to be honest. I think there is a big difference between a 50yr old white guy in an authoritative position while “on duty” saying the word than there is a 20yr old black athlete typing it. Cale resigned, took ownership, and held himself accountable in the statement he released.

I do agree that no matter how much I love Cale, hes perfectly capable of self editing while hes reading it. Is that a mistake worthy of ending the career of a guy whos ultimately been a professional lifer at OU? In the year 2022…apparently s

Yeah…I’m sure Baylor is going to be thrilled.

If Cale goes anywhere, it will be to Stillwater. He is an Oklahoma lifer. He is either done or heading to Stillwater

1 Like

Cale is used to watching his teams win championships. I doubt he’ll go to a team that never wins them. If he stays in the conference he’ll go to the next best team he knows can win one. Helps him in recruiting as well.

1 Like

It is classless. Surely there was a problem Lebby - Gundy. Otherwise, I ask – COACH IS GONE. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE PLAYER? Venables looks like a fool that won’t discipline his players.

4 Likes

Well said KetchupSicle.

Is he not a man at 20 using university property in a team meet for malice intent.

Im not arguing about what an idiot cal was but if you cant see that at 20 you should be accountable.

2 Likes

I have to disagree. The kid is using a school issued device and should be punished as well, if not kicked off the team. There are no rules for thee and not for me in this topic. Either it’s all good, or it’s all bad.

Absolutely no difference than reading To Kill a Mockingbird out loud.

4 Likes

Mike should bring him to Stillwater. Would be a good addition to the staff.

2 Likes

True. Then we would have 1 good coach and Mike Gundy.

1 Like

What is classless? A guy willingly resigning is classless?

What do you mean what happened to the the player? I think a 50yr old white guy willingly, knowingly reading the word out loud to a room full of African American young men while on duty…is far less forgivable than a 19yr old young man typing it. You think Venables looks like a fool…for what?

Listen fellas, im not saying that this is a no-brainer that he shouldv been fired. I think its a pretty harsh sentence for what he did. But, I also know that youre perfectly capable of self-editing something before or while you read it.

1 Like

This is an ignorant comment. Educate yourself if you don’t understand why certain races can’t use this derogatory word, but is more acceptable when used by the race it was designed to harm.

2 Likes

It is not an education issue. I am well aware of all the arguments why one group of people are “allowed” to use a word, but if a person not in that group uses the same word, they are banished from polite society forever. I just think those arguments are total crap. Some of you swallowed and nodded along to every word their loser grifter philosophy professor said. Others saw them for the morons they are.

4 Likes

Nah. I am educated enough. Again, I will stop using it when they stop. Otherwise, fair game.

1 Like