Caleb Williams ba ha ha ha!

Holder was right, though. The numbers say he should’ve been. Particularly when you compare Oklahoma State’s recruiting budget (which was raised twice due to Gundy flirting w/ Tennessee/Baylor/Arkansas) and the benefits/drawbacks of Stillwater to similar college programs and towns of similar stature.

1 Like

Sure raised twice and ku still had a bigger budget.
Holder was a jack ess not give enough money to football. Iba was the same. Thats why we’re dnt have a historic program.
The reason gundy does spend alot of time on 5 stars thats a waste of time. Needs that time to compete for players we can get. Spend a ur time on 5 stars u won’t get 4 stars

1 Like

You’re absolutely right. Oklahoma State did not make any sort of real financial commitment to football until it was 70 years behind.

Ok, the whole “spending time” on 5 stars isn’t accurate. Here’s how recruiting works. You put out feelers/mailers/talk to guys and you gauge their interest. When a recruit shows he’s interested, you keep recruiting him. When they don’t show any interest, you move on. There are plenty of 5 star kids within reasonable traveling distance for OU & OSU. If I’m Gundy, I offer every potential 5 star kid in Texas before his Jr yr. That gets you in the door. If they don’t bite, you move on. Schools don’t actively recruit every kid 365 days for 4 years. I’m not a Gundy detractor because he’s obviously done some good stuff at OSU, but his mouth has gotten in some trouble at times……& openly saying you don’t recruit 5 stars cause it’s a waste of time was not a good message to your fan base.

He does recruit 5 stars go on 247. 247 shows who they give offer to. It’s problem a high % of 5 stars since there not that many 5 stars.
They may not do 365 for 4 years but it’s more then u think.

1 Like

This is why OU lost the Shettrons. After they committed, they got ghosted by the staff. OSU kept in contact with them.

@robert28 Can you help @jake4 on this one? You have that wrong. “They” never committed to OU. OU offered Talyn & he committed to the Sooners. The family angled for Tabyr to be offered as well. That wasn’t happening. So Talyn decommits. OSU offers both of the brothers & they end up in Stillwater. That’s what happened. It’s well documented. Tabyr had 2 Power 5 offers (OSU/KState). OU never offered him and wasn’t going to.

I know he does. I know how recruiting works. I said Gundys words got him in trouble with the anti-Gundy folks. Gundy was just popping off like he does when he said that.

1 Like

It’s not a gundy thing all coach get this. Look at boynton talking about the to is selfish just 10 days ago.
Lot of fans got bent out of shape.
Even riley saying he wasn’t going to lsu. People got made because they took it as he wasn’t going any where.
But in general I dnt get to excited either way on coach talk.

I think Gundy loves the microphone. Boynton to me is a lot like Mike Tomlin & I love it. Gundys mouth has gotten him in some hot water at times. But good discussion

1 Like

I think it’s hilarious.
Calling kids snowflakes
People hate it when he calls players using their numbers.
Alot want to quote gundy from his talks.
The main problem is the fans want insight from the coach when they give interviews.

Yes ur rite. But, it sounds better to osu fans we stole more then we can carry. Ksu did offer both. Also tiley was have a had time holding onto any recievers. So it could have been the best out for the brother.
I’m glad we got them and hope t h e both work out.

2 Likes

Riley did pretty good in offensive skill players. He brought in four 5⭐️‘S in the last 3 classes in the WR room alone (Haselwood, Wease, Bridges, Williams). He had trouble closing on some defensive players the last few years, but not WR’s. Of course you lose some, but 4 elite rates guys in 3 classes is pretty dang good

1 Like

Yes but he had what 3 decommit in this class. Before he left. It was probably because they were still recruiting better recievers.
Competition can play a role.i think that’s why we held on to 3 4star running backs in this class. They all think they will have a role.

I don’t put any weight at all in what this class at USC did or what the guys did while he was at OU this period. There was a ton of goofy/sketchy stuff going on both ways. But his track record of signees was proof enough to me. Yeah I’m sure he missed on some he wanted, but all programs do. Just hard for me to say he couldn’t hold on to WR’s when he reeled in four 5⭐️‘S in 3 years

I think ur missing my point. Like the brother we got. He was a high rank, but with riley still trying for higher ranks he see his place go down. He could be at ou and be the 3rd best in just his class or go to osu and be the top out of all the recievers. In other words playing time.

I was talking about the decommits he had before the usc chit started.

1 Like

I agree on factors that lead to commits/decommits. Playing time is one of those.

On Shettron, I don’t think he would’ve left if it weren’t for his brother. That’s not a knock on OSU cause they’ve put out some great WR’s. But OU tends to win the in-state football battles when they want to. OU Losing an in-state star WR under Riley would be like losing a star in-state RB in the 80’s. Plus there are plenty of reps to go around with the OU offense, so I don’t think Shettron had anything more to do than wanting to play with his brother.

On the decommits before Riley went to USC, he was setting up this move since Sep. I put zero weight on anything either OU or USC did under Riley this entire football season.

I know what ur saying.
When I coach says ur the man but then is still recruiting.
Since the other was .82 any school could have got him.
So when ksu gave an offer they did bolt then. So osu has a lil pull.

I got an insider scoop on this one. My nephew goes to school with them. He’s a student assistant with the team. Shettron’s been saying OU stopped talking to him once they got his commit. That’s all hearsay, sure, and maybe he’s just poisoning the well since he decided to go elsewhere, but that’s the scuttlebutt.

1 Like

It didn’t matter if OU kept talking to him or not. Tabyr was offered by OSU & they announced the decommitment/commitment to OSU 3 days later. Talyn said they played together their whole lives & once that opportunity came……it was a no-brainer. OU wasn’t going to offer Tabyr. I respect what you & your nephew say, but I’ll decide to listen to what Talyn’s statement said & what the insiders who do it for a living said.