Chad Weiberg suggests "Little Brother" move

Oklahoma State athletic director Chad Weiberg said the Cowboys athletic department hopes to continue the Bedlam rivalry with Oklahoma in all sports except football once the Sooners exit the Big 12 for the SEC.

You just going to leave out the part where Chad talked about having football non-con contracts locked up for the next decade that cost money to get out of or what?

10 Likes

Playing OU historically brings in more than Missouri State every year.

1 Like

I don’t think we should play them ever again. Maybe in 20 years.

It was ou’s choice to leave the big 12 with out any concern or loyalty to the organization. It was for more money. Same situation as Lincoln Riley leaving ou to go to USC. Good riddance! Don’t let the door hit you in the a55 on your way out!

3 Likes

Most people on here say the football program needs more money but they are all willing to throw away the biggest money making game they got because their coach can’t beat OU even as often as the other teams in the conference.

1 Like

How would that makes money. The tv contract won’t pay us more. And missouri state is always a home game.

1 Like

We’ve got Alabama scheduled down the road. We can have moneymaking games without playing OU. Every team schedules 1 or 2 cream puffs. Every single one.

3 Likes

How much do we make for 1 Bedlam at home?

It will cost you more than 850,000 to play Missouri State two years in a row. That’s money going out not coming in.

Ur point is bedlam is a major loss. Know it’s down to ticket sells and a pay out.
I dnt have those numbers and they get kind of screwy.
But in general if u have 40,000 for 2 home games that’s 80000. The tickets are cheaper. But things like soda pop is not. U can minimize a soda pop. But that’s 25,000 soda pops. Plus what ever else the punter will bye. I’m not a forensic account but I’m sure there will be no crime done.

2 Likes

My point is Bedlam is a money maker and everyone wants more money in the program but they don’t want to play OU because Gundy loses every year. So instead of trying to compete everyone wants to play some cupcakes in hopes that with one less guaranteed loss Gundy might win something meaningful.

Not agreeing right this second to play OU in football in 2030 (next open non-con year) because “Gundy doesn’t beat OU” when Gundy won’t even be the coach in 2030 is an asinine take.

4 Likes

Out of context commentary. Go ahead and admit that, and we can flag the thread so it gets closed.

1 Like

I’m not understanding the point of ticket sales. For OU vs any other game. The extra seats between 45,000 and 50,000 isn’t that much.

We’ll make more if we have 1 and 1s with teams in a different tv market. We’ll make more tax money as a state if we play teams who travel well in Stillwater.

Bedlam is big for the state, but the money is replaceable with good scheduling. I don’t see it being a big loss.

2 Likes

How old was Bill Snyder when he quit coaching?

Once again u ignore that the money isn’t there like u think. Sure if u can prove 10mill I’m all in. If it’s more then a million I would be shocked.
This is really ur point. U want us to play 3 power 5 teams so gundy has a better chance of losing. When this happens do we change it back so the new coach doesn’t lose.
NOBODY PLAYS THAT. It doesn’t help in anyway.
Since teams we will face have been chosen so far out we dnt know how the will be. Oregon state would have been a different team this year. Even georgia was not got two years in a row. U have a weird look at how we play.

1 Like

How about we go to conference USA so Gundy can win a conference title?

Now do Bob Stoops. Chris Peterson. Jeff Tedford.

Citing Bill Snyder is a pretty disingenuous argument. He came up from a different era. Guys are retiring earlier than they used to and Gundy has already said he doesn’t see himself doing this for more than maybe 5 or so more years.

2 Likes

Taking OU off the football schedule increases the odds of winning Big 12 titles, thus higher bowl payouts. Which make up for lost revenue on having to host the Goons every other year.

1 Like

Removing OU from the schedule will have 0 impact on Big 12 championship odds. OU won’t be in the Big 12 and winning or losing bedlam will not have any impact on a conference record.

1 Like