Coffee, Java, Café, Joe

I will have some recommendations when I go to lunch.

1 Like

Starbucks White chocolate mocha is on point.

I do love Aspen coffee too. Especially their Frozen Granita drink.

1 Like

Solid place to start is a chemex setup!

I’d probably go with the 6-cup size, big enough to make two

You’ll need a scale, gooseneck kettle and a grinder!

I like hario’s scale the best. Easy to use, reliable

Any gooseneck kettle should work, unless you want to have an electric, self-boiling one. Those get a ride pricy, but not sure in the new shed there will be a stove to heat water.

Then a grinder, lots of grinders out there, but you wanna go with a burr grinder. It’ll give you the most consistent, thorough grind. Blade grinders are pretty inconsistent and will give you very mixed results. I have and like Cuisinart’s burr grinder, it’s a bit noisy but I’ve had mine for a number of years and it still works great.

The key to all of this is the ratio of coffee to water. For every 1g of coffee, you want 16g of water (which is why the scale is so necessary). This’ll be the most consistent, repeatable way to make a great cup!

Sorry for the novel, but coffee is somewhat of a hobby, just enjoy it a lot and want to share!

4 Likes

So what you’re saying is opening the top of my folgers can and dumping a mound into my Mr. Coffee isn’t very consistent?

10 Likes

hey the ultimate thing at the end of the day is, it’s all about personal preference. So if you like your folgers thick as molasses, or you like your starbucks blonde roast, find what you love!

But, also yes, in my home folgers can folgettheheckouttahere /s

2 Likes

Still waiting for the PFB Blend from Hoboken😉

1 Like

That’s clever and I love it :sweat_smile:

In all reality, I just love my Go Juice dark, no matter the flavor

2 Likes

With a nice Chamber logo, right

2 Likes

Kettle - Stovetop for ~$30 or Electric for ~$100

Grinders - Baratza Encore for ~$140 or could step up a bit for better grind control to Baratza Virtuoso Plus for ~$270

Coffee Maker - Technivorm KB 741 for ~$280

These recommendations keep you in the mid triple digits.

I’m a pour over guy. Don’t weight things out, but might give that a shot. Get my beans from White Rock Coffee, for the most part. Sometimes I’ll venture out to some others. Try to stay local.

The Bitter Southerner was doing a coffee club for a while that I really enjoyed being a part of.

1 Like

Making a little v60 as a Friday afternoon treat!

3 Likes

We absolutely, without a doubt, unequivocally, COMPLETELY have different ideas of what a Friday afternoon treat is…

3 Likes

Exactly. Time to crack open a Bud Light.

I really should look into a sponsorship deal!

1 Like

We have officially found a way to sneak the world’s best beer, Keystone Light, into every thread on the entire forum.

3 Likes

Find you someone who loves you like @jonjester loves his coffee.

6 Likes

It’s what we do while waiting on commitment news. :rofl:

1 Like

I second these methods and products. Almost exactly the setup i have. I typically boil water in a normal kettle, transfer it to gooseneck (any will do, I don’t like to heat it up in the gooseneck cause the handle gets hot on mine!). I also have that Cuisinart Burr Grinder @jonjester mentioned, I’ve been through a few grinders and it’s solid, reliable, allows decent control, and a good value. I use a regular kitchen scale (as long as it can measure grams, you’re good) and the 6cup Chemex. I make one in the mornings with 42 grams of beans and around 700 grams of water. Usually makes a medium cup for wife, and two cups for me to keep in my thermos and dole out over the next couple hours. I prefer Onyx or Topeca beans, but will also gladly get Elemental or Cirque if that’s what I can find then.

1 Like

Get a rope…

Yeesh, tough crowd.

So @PutACorkenIt can line up his empties next to it and try to drink the length of the rope?

3 Likes