ESPN+ peasants

Thus far, I refuse to pay an extra $5/mo. for ESPN+ to watch my beloved Cowboys play anyone that’s not crimson or burnt orange. Any OKC pokes know of any good restaurants or sports bars that will have ESPN+ to watch the K State game?

The one that comes to mind is CHALK in NW OKC off of memorial. You might call and see if they will have it. Great food, beer and atmosphere.

Chalk is an awesome place to go. Great food like @crazed_stallion said and they’ve got a rooftop bar if you’re in to that. TV’s everywhere. You would want to get there early though.

1 Like

Why not go to the game? If I lived in OKC or Tulsa, I would be at everything.

1 Like

Going to the game costs more money than the bar does, plus even though it is closer it’s still at least an hour from OKC, then parking, tailgating etc takes up more time. But I have two kids as well so timing is harder with soccer games and swim practice and gymnastics thrown in so my perspective is skewed maybe.

When I was in school there I went to everything at least.

Buddy of mine deep in reddit sent this to me, if this helps

I would love to see a Venn diagram of the % of people mad about espn+, and the % of people who complain about cable prices and started the cord cutting movement. I bet there’s significant crossover.

Great job everyone.

3 Likes

Yeah when I heard about it I was frustrated because I really wanted the Big 12 to partner up with Flo Sports… but I’ve known what’s coming when I dropped traditional cable for YouTubeTV. I really need to go through my subscriptions and do some culling… but that’s a personal thing.

1 Like

Everyone wants high quality content and tons of it, but not pay for it. This is free markets pushing back and saying, it’s expensive to produce and you’re going to have to pay for it either way.

I worked in film one summer in Abq. The sheer time, effort, and skill that goes into sound editing, just sounds editing, is absurd. There’s 50+ other technical and skilled jobs on a TV set.

Things are going to cost money. Broke a perfectly adequate system because we need to change things.

And as CC mentioned on the pod now we’re in the awful purgatory where things have gotten more expensive not less.

And that’s another I LOATHE about streaming, you’re at least a minute behind. It’s fun to watch twitter and the game, with streaming tweets come in well before the play does.

I was looking at signing up this morning and the terms specifically don’t allow commercial establishments to subscribe to ESPN+. I haven’t been able to find where they have a commercial license either, so it probably won’t be at any nice places if anywhere.

I don’t mind the price because I like the secondary content like the 30 for 30s. What I am going to be mad about is if the picture quality, camera angles, and announcers don’t improve from the McNeese game. Won’t be much of a problem for me for football but it could be for basketball, wrestling, and baseball.

I don’t think that’s a compelling argument for why I should pay a large amount for cable in order to get the 3 channels I want, and in turn subsidize a dozen channels about Fishing or Cave Diving that I have zero interest in. Everything looks to be circling back to the same place where we have to pay for an increasing amount of individual streaming services. Soon the big conglomerate media companies will offer bundles of streaming services and I’ll be back where I was before I cancelled cable - paying for streaming services that I don’t want in order to get the services I do want. I think many of us here, paying PFB+ subscribers, have zero issue paying for services that we want, and acutally I suspect that most of us here who have “cut the cord” immediately transitioned to paying for only the services they want.

If every American only paid for the “3 channels they want” which is false, you watch more than 3 channels, there isn’t enough scale to charge everyone $3.99 month for a few channels. The business model flat doesn’t work.

Which is why its pushing this way.

This. The viewing experience for streaming is overall terrible.

And when there are 10+ games on at the same time, it’s extremely beneficial to bounce around and check on other games quickly. Good luck doing that with streaming.

1 Like

My issue with ESPN+ thus far has been that it’s an incomplete package. It’s a necessity of the moment because we are in the middle of the move but as more and more negotiations start coming up we are going to see the ability of companies like Disney to move to where the entire offering will be available over a subscription service like ESPN+. Right now you gotta pay the cable/sat company AND Disney to get everything and that really isn’t a good long term deal. Of course as the content expands so will the cost of the service which will cause other complaints. Ultimately I think it is a move in the correct direction, but the whole landscape makes the best arrangement pretty impossible to achieve at this point.

1 Like

For anyone interested, Buffalo Wild Wings does appear to carry espn+ games.

Not in Owasso.

BUMP this thread.

Enough of the company holding media rights hostage and not delivering on their promises. Burn ESPN down.

!

Can we talk about ESPNU not being on YouTubeTV or ESPN+ yesterday for hoops as well? I had to watch some random stream from Reddit.

1 Like