Facilities

I like your list, especially the way you qualified #1. I will consider the Human Performance Innovation Complex part of this #1 line item, but it may not really be. It may be critical in some of the conference alignment discussions however. So #1 it is with this all combined.

Personally, I want construction on softball and wrestling started next Tuesday (actually can be any day next week and I will be thrilled). So these are 1a and 1a for me (yes - exactly the same. Build them together with the same crew).

Anything to help basketball take the next jump is next. I love both of our coaches and want them to succeed like crazy.

Track and Field/Cross Country… this has some history, right? Didn’t Garth donate some money in this area years ago which was re-diverted and caused the rift with Holder? Perhaps this has more strategic importance than we recognize.

And finally, Golf and Equestrian come last for me, but I love that they are on the list.

6 Likes

The University, yes. But Gundy on the other hand…

This is so great. I can’t wait to see these projects completed.
The next time the lottery prize is over $1 billion, I’m buying as many tickets as I can. :smile:

2 Likes

It’s exciting but sad that it’s all still kinda a ways away, it seems

3 Likes

Holy sh:t this would be awesome…

2 Likes

It’ll match the orange turf (CC: @TheHeadChimp)

2 Likes

Organizations only meaningfully progress if they have a vision. Vision drives action. Bold vision drives bold action. I love the vision.

3 Likes

Couple of thoughts,

Basketball and Wrestling buildings -
Hate how plain they look.
They could and should incorporate their roofs into a outdoor bar, cabana, plaza, something. You could connect to both BPS and GIA upper level. Missed opportunity.

Health Complex -
I like the jumbotron addition, I could see this being a site where they stream away games and people “tailgate” on that fake football field outside practice facility could be a pretty ■■■■ cool experience if you did it right.

Existing practice fields outside of Health Complex -
this could be flex space on game-day, open to tailgating or family fun

GIA Welcome Plaza -
Hate that they are putting parking in here, could have been fountains, statues, amphitheater, literally anything but parking.

Softball -
Love that it’s sunk into the ground, hate the parking near it. Let people tailgate for all sports, need space to do that.

Indoor Track -
No thoughts, looks plain as well but only so much you can do at cost for a building that large.

General -
I wish they would develop better off-site parking. They could have designed a new “duck pond” feeling area in this (outside of Bennett?) that could have really added to campus. This side of Campus has always felt very thrown together and lacking big-picture, human scale design elements that could really improve the overall user experiences.

3 Likes

We need parking on campus badly though. It gets rough out there often

1 Like

This is by far the coolest one I’ve ever seen. Love it. It’ll never happen but if they did something like this and closed off the NE and SE corners, BPS would be deafening.

1 Like

Yes, they need to bite the bullet and design better off-site parking.

How would that work? Park somewhere else in town and ride a bus to campus? I’d hate doing that personally.

My favorite part of college was paying $95 a semester to not be able to park anywhere. So awesome.

4 Likes

This sounds stupid but you could do underground parking garage (more on-site), off-campus or on campus edge parking garage and provide a bus, tram, or free bikes (swipe student ID for access to bike from kiosk, ride bike to on-campus bike parking, plug bike back into on-campus kiosk to not be charged a fee)

Several options where you can avoid a terrible looking parking lot as a big element in your welcome plaza

It’s like $135 for the pass now :slightly_smiling_face:

You get like three options if you don’t live within walking distance of campus:

1. Get a commuter Green Pass the night they go on sale (because they don’t oversell them and sell out kinda fast) and park in the lot between BPS, Endeavor, and the architecture building w/overflow as the lot between GIA and the Catholic student center or back by the Chase bank and Cafe 88

2. pay an outrageous amount of money and park in a parking garage (I think they’re like $300)

3. Get a commuter silver pass and pray you can find parking within a mile of anything important.

Additionally, you can do green space at street level with parking below a la Boston Commons parking garage

My final semester my only class was my capstone, at the DML. Which is nowhere near campus and no one other than aero kids would ever be out there, ever. So I didn’t get a pass. The lot was 85% empty 7 days a week, but they would still drive all the way out there and ticket people for not having a sticker. We got smart and left a TV on the camera facing the street (our professor literally told us to do this) so any time we’d see a parking car we’d run out and move our cars until they left. Lol

4 Likes

Fyi, there’s no statute of limitations on illegal parking. And I have a HS acquaintance that works for campus police. Sorry in advance for the fine you’re about to get.

6 Likes

Brilliant. My lab is in an off campus building and luckily they don’t enforce campus parking out there. Unfortunately I’ll still have to buy one when I finish classes to be able to go to the department building for stuff.

1 Like

Yeah we were told they didn’t enforce for us either but they still came out maybe 2-3 times a month. We usually got around it though. Any time I had to go to campus I’d just go to the Monroe garage and throw a Buck in the meter.