Favorite Old School Video Games

Oh wow this thread brought back a memory that is so old. Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, a,b, start! Cannot believe I still remember that, long live contra!

1 Like

I want to say they had a Twisted Metal reboot a couple years ago… I don’t have a PS4 so I’m not sure on the time frame.

1 Like

I believe the creator of the Konami code passed away a month or so ago. That code showed up in so many places.

1 Like

Command and Conquer is my drug of choice when talking nostalgia

3 Likes

Just saw a video of the remaster of C&C and Red Alert. Many good classic games getting remade or remastered lately.

1 Like

So good. I’ve been playing a age of empires 2 definitive edition. It’s free with xbox gamepads on pc.

1 Like

I pre-date the home consoles. It was Asteroids at the arcade at the mall for me. For hours…

3 Likes

Excited for this but I think they are only doing two of the games. A little unfortunate but I’ll probably still try it out

1 Like

Spectre was my car of choice. He was small, fast and could inflict some damage. Then if I wanted to piss off my friends, I would put in the cheat to get Minion.

1 Like

Didn’t he have the three-homing-missile special that whistled and chased you for a really long time?

I have a “OSU Wrestlers in Video Games” story I’m working on. I was saving it up for the off-season, which came a lot sooner than expected, so the story will probably come a little sooner.

I came across these cut-scenes with Randy Couture from Red Alert 3

Good thread. I am an old. So old I probably won’t remember my favorites. I also have not played a game in many years. When I get handed a controller today for COD or the like, I die almost immediately. I have better things to do lol. But there once was a time…

Forest/Pirate Adventure on PET Commodore (it IS a game although no graphics lol)
Pitfall II and Centipede on Atari 400
Defender of the Crown on Commodore Amiga - hours playing this one
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards on Amiga - great training for 15 year old lol
Tecmo Bowl on NES
Punch Out on NES
Summer Games Commodore 64
Some game on Sega I can’t remember

Then long pause for grown up activities.

As an adult with my 4 boys:
SSX Tricky on Xbox - untold hours playing with my kids - would play it today
Donkey Kong Country on Nintendo Gamecube
Madden & NCAA on numerous consoles
Super Smash Bros on all
Forza Horizon 4 on XBox

Many of the new games do not have the play-ability of the older games. Nintendo hit a sweet spot of games as well as early XBox and PS - it’s not all about graphics.

1 Like

Donkey Kong Country is a classic.

3 Likes

Zombies ate my Neighbors was very high on my list of games as a kid.

3 Likes

The Genesis version was good.

I was just focused on console games in my earlier list, but I think I could make an entire topic on just LucasArts games from the 90’s and early 00’s…especially the computer stuff. I was exposed early (my cousin was a very early Creative Labs Stillwater employee and thus had lots of the early LucasArts games to use with his SoundBlaster 16 that I drooled over and then I worked there (twice!) and they had a lot of pack in agreements with Lucas…at least the first time I worked there)

SCUMM Games:
Maniac Mansion
Sam and Max Hit the Road (I use jokes from this game on probably a daily basis)
Full Throttle

Non-SCUMM Games:
Tie Fighter (I stole my screen name from the pack in book from this game back in like '94 or something… been using the name for…Jesus! 26 years?)
X-Wing
Force Commander (seeing a theme here?)

LucasArts (and Sierra On-Line) probably accounted for a good 50% of the PC games I played growing up (I think another 35% could be summed up in Interplay and Blizzard).

Kinda crazy how good those companies were.

3 Likes

That is awesome

Going back to my old school, I was all about computer games.

Wolfenstein 3D
Spear of Destiny
DOOM
Wolfpack (a submarine hunting game)
Comanche (helicopter sim)

Then it was the N64 with Goldeneye, WWF No Mercy…

4 Likes

Lots of good old school memories coming back reading all these, love it. For me, never really played anything but NES and SNES for the longest, then Playstation 1 through 4 every since then.

For me its:

Final Fantasy I
Tecmo Bowl/Super Bowl
Zelda: Link to the Past
Final Fantasy VII & VIII
Madden from late 90s until now
NCAA Football until it was cancelled. (some of the older games had clips from various schools bands and crowds, would restart game over and over until the OSU ones would play)

1 Like

Man I used to play this all the time