Five Thoughts on Oklahoma State Basketball's 2023-24 Season

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/five-thoughts-on-oklahoma-state-basketballs-2023-24-season/

On Boynton’s job status, the roster moving forward and more.

1 Like

Big Thanks for the coverage through a tough season Marshall !!!

6 Likes

My five thought for the 2023-2024 season.

1. Team is bad
  2. Oh wow this team isn’t just bad they’re real bad
  3. Team is straight ass
  4. Maybe they’re figuring out late in the season
  5. Nah that was fools gold they’re mega ass
4 Likes

It’s time for a new HC but I’m afraid no change will be made due to $$$$

2 Likes

Thanks for all the coverage this year. Gotta be a tough year to cover - it was really tough to even want to watch or follow the games but I did my best. Started watching wrestling this year just to have a non-depressing team to follow.

Hopefully we figure it out next year. Go Pokes!

5 Likes

Great job on the coverage, PFB! In the words of Terry Don Phillips: “Thank you…for hanging tough!” That was a really rough season. Glad it’s over. Program needs to be set on fire and start over.

3 Likes

Even with $10 million NIL to throw around, why would a talented young hooper come play for Boynton? You’re guaranteed to never make the tournament. The results are there for everyone to see, even before NIL happened. Sure, he’s likeable, but it’s just not there on the court.

If OSU is serious about the BB program, Boynton has to go AND we need more NIL money.

Seriously, with the program where it is now, I would discourage my own son from playing for OSUBB.

2 Likes

Hey, I also was at the Fall Out Boy/Jimmy Eat World concert with my wife! Very cool! Fun show. And up for work the next day at 5am, so I feel ya! Good work brother

1 Like

Thanks

Great coverage from PFB. Tough year. However, the advent of NIL changes the landscape. It would normally take another 4 years of recruiting, without those ridiculous sanctions, to build a program back up. Sanctions are meant to set a program back. They are punishment. It certainly did for us other than the Cade year.

That’s in the past but now we have NIL. I just don’t see how OSU is going to compete with NIL money. Many schools will suffer the same problem. They will eventually get a second tier of teams because the blue bloods will have more money and win the big games. Any 3 star diamond in the rough we develop will leave for greener pastures. Better coaches cost more money too. We will see how it goes.

NIL will probably ruin college sports but I appreciate PFB covering OSU sports until it does. You do an excellent job.

2 Likes

I think retaining Boynton is the best decision. Save the money and hope that he can retain key pieces and recruit some nice additions. It’s hard to dislike the guy but his teams are tough to watch.

2 Likes

So what happens when Chad KEEPS HCMB (avoiding the buyout) but then 1/2 the roster transfers out anyway? Don’t think that’ll happen? See previous 2 or 3 years

1 Like

Outstanding article - both in content and writing skills. The PFB crew sets the bar for informative, crisp, and skillful writing. Not every forum can claim the same. 5 thoughts is a must read for me after every game. Thanks for your good work

1 Like

Fix the issue with NIL. But it is Boynton’s last excuse. If the team again is in the bottom half of the league, give him the boot.

Why hasn’t your post been flagged?

Probably because everyone here is thinking similar thoughts.

Fire the loser in April so as to pay him less…, pathetically inept MBB coach!!!

I have been very negative about Boyton this season, but he does recruit well.

• NIL is a distraction, because he had Cade C. and still didn’t go far.
  • He is going to stay because of the buy-out, so what do we do?

I say, take things away from him, that he doesn’t do well. Take a page out of Gundy’s book and bring in two new assistant coaches. Find fresh young minds from small schools or D2 schools, one to run the offense, the other to coach the bigs.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but I’m tired of hearing the NIL excuse. Iowa State isn’t rolling in dough, and yet they’ve managed a top 10 team. Texas Tech and KSU aren’t facing any different NIL challenges. But the difference is that Boynton needs blue-blood level players to offset his anemic coaching and to make us at least mediocre. With the NIL shortfall, he’s getting the same level of player that Cincinatti, Tech, ISU, and the rest of the non-KU, BU, or UT teams are getting, and the deficiency in coaching talent shows.

2 Likes

The most entertaining and enjoyable part of Cowboy basketball this season has been PFB articles. I wasn’t masochistic enough to keep watching the games after 2/3 of the season was done. So I relied upon PFB to learn what happened.
You guys did a great job during another lousy season.
I don’t care if half or more of this team enters the portal because the outcome will be the same next season no matter who the players are. Mike Boynton doesn’t have the full package to be a head coach. I really admire my former classmate, Mike Holder, but he made a bonehead hiring decision choosing someone with no experience as a head coach. This is the toughest conference for basketball. So it takes the best coaches to succeed. We had no chance after Underwood left. Underwood was a great hire, just not a great person. So cool it on the new facilities for awhile, and instead, buy us a great coach and better players.
Yes, NIL/NCAA has ruined college sports.

2 Likes