Five Thoughts on Oklahoma State's 70-60 Loss to West Virginia

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/five-thoughts-on-oklahoma-states-70-60-loss-to-west-virginia/

The Pokes’ offensive struggles return in West Virginia.

1 Like

It’s going to be a long and merciful short season for our Pokes. We go to Tech and Baylor. I really thought they had a chance. Our turnovers and poor shooting from the stripe killed us. I really would like to see us ranked before the season is done. Just kind of a slap to the ncaa, There is no doubt this conference is really good and cannibalizing itself as it goes. It’s only going to get better with the teams coming in. Go Pokes!!

4 Likes

I’m glad we’re banned from post season. At least we now have an excuse

1 Like

I truly hope this is the worst they play all season but there aren’t any limits to “bad”. The defense played OK but had some incredible lapses. I agree its a good thing this is the team that is only playing in the regular season….

But boynton got one 5 star to sign out of high school and two mediocre at best 5 star transfers he gets a pass as usual

1 Like

His passes are running thin for me. It’s one thing to lose games and another to look like total shiit repeatedly. If this isn’t fixed by the end of next season time for a new guy.

1 Like

With so many fouls its had to call it a good defensive nite.

I disagree with running the offense through ICE. While he handles the ball well, he can’t shoot from outside the paint. What happened to the Rondel Walker of last year? Even when he wasn’t scoring his defense was there but now he looks lost.

I think we need to start both Boones. They are by far the most efficient offensive options and they shoot free throws well. I like Anderson but he is pressing right now and he needs to be able to take his shots in the flow of the game.

2 Likes

I’m fine with ice running the offense, just not this one, as long as he doesn’t shoot.
Doug G. Couldn’t shoot but ran the offense.

2 Likes

Fair enough. So Bryce W., ICE, Boone, Boone, Cisse. That makes a second string of Anderson, Bryce T., Walker/Newton, Smith, MAM.

Also, there is a Manzer on the bench? Green light that kid! Lol

1 Like

As long as ice is our best option at point then we have no chance. Tell me how many teams in the big twelve where he starts? They guy can’t shoot so he has to drive to the rim where he’s 50/50 at best at making the lay up and if he’s fouled he can’t make the free throws and not to mention he turns it over too many times. Ugly ugly ugly.

1 Like

Wish they would show the coaching sidelines more in timeouts so I could see the coaches interact with the players. Seems like the coaching staff arnt all in together to make this team better. I was watching Baylor last night and all the coaches were all giving input to drew as he was holding the white board and I just don’t see that with our coaches. I mean what the heck is Scott Sutton during for this team? He’s to good of a coach not to give some input to get this offense clicking just alittle.

1 Like

I wonder how many games will be lost this season due to this team’s inability to make free throws. Good grief!! If you can’t make free throws at the college level you better be the next Shaquille O’Neal!!!

We really need to invest in guys that can make free throws. Just a little ridiculous that you play for a P5 basketball program and can’t make a shot 15 feet away without any physical pressure on you.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone here is giving him a pass. I mean he DID get us our first tourney WIN for the first time in 12 YEARS. Even AR and myself both agree if he doesn’t right the ship over the next couple of years that OSU should move on from him. I also have to take into account he’s getting dicked by the NCAA right now at no fault of his own which makes recruiting just a little tougher on him. Still though, all things aside he has to clear the path for the basketball program.

I love our coach and want nothing more than him to succeed but this is another throw away year and it seems like we say that every year. This is his 5th year, 5th and we still do the same things that we did in year 1. Every year, every game we go into long scoring droughts that doom us. Every year, every game he can’t figure out the lineup and rotations until the end of the year. If we don’t make the tournament next year he should be bounced no matter how much I love him.

1 Like

Completely agree. Unfortunately, he does get a pass this year with everything surrounding the team, but next year should be a do or die season

1 Like

It’s garbage basketball he got lucky with Cade and now that he’s gone it’s gone right back to the same ol thing

1 Like

They looked at best a bad high school team.I also say play both Boone’s at same time. Boynton can’t settle on who should play.Mark my words the transfer portal will be full by the end of the season.Next year Boynton won’t have anybody.

Exactly, I haven’t seen a decent half court set since he took over it’s pitiful

1 Like

You go make a case to recruits why they should come to a program with an existing ban on the conference and NCAA tournament.

Nobody seems to want to mention how Boynton beat OU and Kansas twice in the same season and got screwed out of the NCAA tourney his first year with whatever leftovers he could scrape up from the Travis Ford era.

I’ll agree he needs to do better, but I’m not going to ignore the fact that he’s dealt with dismissing players, a post season ban, and from what it looks like is playing in the hardest league in the country over the past three years.

When he had Cade OSU played 16 ranked opponents out of the 30 games they played that season. How many other teams in the country can you name the in the last few years that have done that? It’s not like Gundy where he’s not facing a post season bowl ban, and only has to worry about maybe three of the twelve or thirteen games he plays are against ranked opponents in the third best football league in the country.

Everybody was talking about how he sucked last year around this time during the season and eventually the teamed gained some footing and started to play better ball. So it’s okay to give Gundy the benefit of the doubt when his team decides to play like chit at the start of the year, but not Boynton?

1 Like