Football 2019 Thread

Knowles was on field last year to “get a feel” for big 12 play. Now he’s in the box to get a better view of the field. Yes, Spencer was moved to the box a couple years before getting the boot. But I don’t think there is any correlation here.

Was at the game last night. Here is my take away watching the OU defense as well as Jalen Hurts.

Defense: was actually pretty impressed by the speed and physicality. They had a few penalties that extended drives for UH, but those penalties seemed to be easy to clean up. I’m nervous that their D will be humming late in the season when we play them.

Jalen Hurts: I differ from the media coverage on what I saw. Was extremely unimpressed with his throwing ability - a lot of wobbly balls and not much zip on passes >10 yards down field. The two (?) deepish balls he completed were WIDE OPEN receivers so all he had to do was loft one up so the receiver could get under it. Pretty underwhelming arm IMHO. However, he is an elite running QB and that’s going to be OU bread and butter this year. I’d estimate that 80% of his completions were little dump passes or slants over the middle… defense had to decide to stay on their man (Hurts takes off running for a huge gain) or step up and try and stop Hurts (which then leaves the receiver uncovered to get a ton of yards after the dump pass). I’d imagine that they are going to try and exploit the DBs with making that decision all year. OU could be in a little bit of trouble offensively if they have to rely on accurate passes >15 yards throughout the course of a game, because I really don’t think Hurts can’t consistently deliver on those based off what I witnessed in person.

Hurts looked like he did at Bama really. He’s paired up with an elite play caller and great supporting cast. That’s formidable even if he’s not their third heisman winner in a row.

1 Like

Very true. I think someone is going to have to catch them on an off day during conference play to beat them. Don’t expect they’ll be able to escape an elite defense in a playoff though.

Talked to a source inside OSU who was on the road trip with the team for Oregon State. Wanted to drop some nuggets from what I learned for the PFB+ Channel.

• Sanders won the QB job over Brown in the final week. Throughout camp it was obvious he was more talented, but he was an INT machine in practice compared to Brown, who throughout camp was solid but not quite as athletic/electric. One source told me they watched one practice where Sanders threw four INT’s and Brown threw none.

• Mike Gundy LOVES Charlie Dickey. Source said that he’s been so good and such a perfect fit that they believe Joe Wickline days are going to pale in comparison to the Dickey era.

• Dickey’s age was the only real concern when OSU brought him over. But he’s been WAY better than expected. Recruiting well. Coaches his butt off. One source said if he wasn’t as old as he is, they would consider offering him a lifetime contract. Said the source: “He was born on this earth to coach offensive linemen. Or be a plumber. And he chose the former.”

• After Mike Gundy spoke with his players following the win, Gundy repeatedly hyped up Dickey, calling him (endearingly) a “coaching motherf*****” over and over again to staffers.

• I told the source that Chuba looked Heisman good. The source expressed quiet optimism but said the only concern is how durable he can be. Apparently he’s been dinged up on and off the last few years. But overall, OSU staffers are thrilled about his debut (obviously) and they feel excited about Sean Gleeson’s plan to use him.

8 Likes

Wow on the 2nd. If the defense can come around at some point, we could win a big 12 title in the next couple years. Oline was a key piece in ‘11

This year feels like a fun but came up just short type year. I’ve been wrong before though.

The only way Chuba or Tylan get any type of Heisman buzz is if the sports information department starts hyping them yesterday… And that’s not going to happen. There isn’t a worse sports information department in the country at getting the word out there… Unless they finally put Ryan Cameron in charge of the whole thing and not just golf and women’s basketball… Which they didn’t.

1 Like

And I know you’re gonna groan but Hurts is going to have the numbers and the narrative. (At least for voters in this area) It’s not like he really had to overcome that much at Alabama but they’ll give him credit like he did. Even though at this point it’s all Lincoln’s brilliance

I’ve been saying he’s a lock for the Heisman and he looked dang good last night. He’s treating it like a business and he has the weapons and the scheme to go out and take the dang trophy. I have no doubt he will do it. Especially with Trevor Lawrence looking pedestrian in week one, and I’m sure Tua will do the same as last season and sit a ton.

And you’re right. I do hate it. I hate OU more than I like OSU in football, if we are being honest. I want bad things to happen to the program. Some things I would never actually put out in public, but I have definitely said. Terrible, awful things. And I mean them when I say them. And won’t take it back.

In fact… I’ve been off the market for about 9 months now, but when I was dating in Dallas I would usually end up going out with an OU girl on about 20% of the dates I went on. I would never actually get into a relationship an OU girl… But you better believe that I acted like I was really into it, sealed the deal, and never, ever called these women again. Do I feel bad about inflicting this type of emotional terrorism on women that went to OU and were emotionally damaged enough to hook up with a guy like me? Absolutely not.

Oh… There are also about seven OU houses (having some sort of OU decor on them) on my various routes I walk my dog on around the neighborhood. I rotate through them and will leave my dog’s poop bags on their door steps. Each house gets it at least once a quarter. Will I get caught? Eventually… But in the four years since I bought my house in this little corner of East Dallas, I have yet to be confronted about it.

I hate OU, Eddy. HATE them. And nothing will ever change that. It’s bred into me. My children will hate OU. As will their children.

3 Likes

SHOOT IT INTO MY VEINS.

3 Likes

Chuba has his first Heisman interview on September 21st in Austin.

2 Likes

I hate OU more than anyone, but you sound like a deranged, unbalanced individual. Get help.

6 Likes

Keep this content coming! Awesome work

1 Like

If you’re not leaving dog poop on your OU neighbors porch then I am forced to question your commitment to OSU.

4 Likes

Great stuff KB, so glad I joined PFB+ for the little nuggets in the chamber!! :rofl:

3 Likes

Loyal & True :joy:

3 Likes

Pretty funny stuff.

Not sure if I am impressed or mortified…

2 Likes

Anyone see James Washington’s give away on twitter? Tv, grill, and most importantly 4 tickets to the TU game. It’s easy work to get registered to win

Has anyone else noticed how many similarities we have with our first few opponents?
Oregon State- Orange and Black, both are OSU
McNeese St- we’re both the Cowboys
Tulsa- Both Oklahoma Teams
Texas- Both are Orange (we even used to be the same shade!)
This isn’t attempting to say anything, just thought it was kinda interesting when I noticed them all at the same time.

2 Likes