Football 2020 Season II

Crazy is a bit strong. I wouldn’t say Shane has done enough to steal the job but it’s not like Spencer was stellar in his 7 Big XII games last season. If you want Spencer you are going off potential and it’s the same for Shane. In small sample size vs small sample size Shane has the better passing stats in conference as a true freshman vs Spencer as a redshirt freshman. Spencer is the better runner but also a turnover machine with 10 total TDs vs 10 picks.

1 Like

Why are people so enamored with Shane? Because he was able to toss balls to receivers against KU so wide open he didn’t even have to be very accurate? The opponents are only going to get better. Shane is talented, but Sanders has the experience, and the mobility to provide an added run threat and escapability behind a suspect offensive line. Shane is extremely immobile, shrinks our playbook, and is in his first go around. It blows my mind that this is even a real conversation.

8 Likes

Because he’s 3-0 with better accuracy than Spencer.

He’s 3-0 against a Tulsa team that might be pretty good, a middle of the road West Virginia, and a terrible Kansas. Spencer is still the starter, especially when we play teams with a pulse on defense.

3 Likes

I recommend you actually watch the games and recognize the opponents versus looking at a box score from the KU game.

I recommend you stop talking to me like a jackass.

3 Likes

Ok bud.

Passer Rating:

Sanders 2019 TU: 125
Sanders 2019 KU: 163

Illingworth 2020 TU: 204
Illingworth 2020 KU: 213

He’s obviously a more accurate passer. Nobody will get on here and debate that I would assume. It’s the other tangibles people will debate.

3 Likes

I’m not sure who is “enamored” with Shane, but you seem to be fully behind Spencer. So I’ll get crazy and buy a ticket to board the Shane Train. I bet you page of Bueno coupons that Shane is higher in the all time OSU QB rankings than Spencer when their careers are finished.

3 Likes

I think that when everything said and done Shane will end up being better, but right now Sanders gives us the best chance to win.

3 Likes

Might as well jump on the jackass train and say that when Spencer is 100% he should start. But if he gets pick prone like most of last year or hurts himself again using his intangible running ability, I am glad we have Shane there to take over. I am not a fan of the running quarterback unless that ability is used for scrambling purposes only, personally I would keep designed QB runs to a minimum especially in Sanders case since he has already been injured a lot. I would much rather have an accurate passer which Shane seems to be. All that to say based on small sample size, I feel Shane is going to be the better QB.

4 Likes

I’m not sold on this accuracy debate. Spencer, while more turnover prone, seems more accurate to me especially in difficult throws.

1 Like

Rushing leaders this season (I didn’t type out all names, just notable ones).
4. Breece Hall, ISU, 396yds
5. JD King, GSU, 370yds
6. Chuba, OSU, 339
8. Leddie Brown, WVU, 320
17. TTU
37. KSU
38. LD Brown, OSU, 203
49. WVU

OU or Texas do not have a player in the top 50.

6 Likes

Thoroughly intrigued to see how OU responds with nothing to play for. Big 12 title game is still theoretically possible, but Iowa State now essentially has a three game cushion on them. CFP is not happening after three games. It will be VERY interesting to see how Lincoln Riley handles the first dose of real adversity in his tenure there. Would be so fun to watch them go 5-5 this year.

16 Likes

But wouldn’t that just be our luck. Kept out of the CFP because OU wasn’t any good.

5 Likes

I’m not an expert but a one-loss OSU would pretty much never get in the playoff. It would take a lot. An undefeated OSU should get in, especially this year. And if not, blow the whole thing up.

12 Likes

But that’s what’s being discussed is that an undefeated OSU may not very in because the conference stinks.

Oh, I completely agree with us never getting in as a one loss team. I was considering us being undefeated but being left out if OU was 5-5. Using the whole “the Big 12 isn’t good” argument.

6 Likes

… granted we would have to finish that way before being able to cash in on that hope.

1 Like

Current passer efficiency:
7. Spencer Rattler
8. Sam Ehlinger
9. Shane Illingworth
10. Max Duggan