Football Recruiting Thread

I’m not mad about this… I’m a lifelong Notre Dame fan.

Always one of you in the group.

1 Like

My grandfather graduated from Notre Dame after he came home from burning down the Japanese Islands in WW2. I have one regret in life. Not going to Notre Dame after being accepted there.

1 Like

I hope Notre Dame loses every game for the rest of eternity.

26 Likes

I was a fan in the 80s. I think their sweet NBC deal turned me off though.

I have a lifetime hatred of Notre Dame for non-sports reasons. Coming out of high school, an alum of the school and of Notre Dame had set up a scholarship for a student from our school. Two years with all expenses covered - tuition, books, etc. I applied for Notre Dame (because scholarship) and the scholarship and was the only student in my class to apply for either. I was all set…and Notre Dame rejected my admission. The only school out of twelve to do so and the one that would have saved me possibly half of my student loan debt now. Fck Notre Dame.

8 Likes

Doesn’t matter the reason I’ll take it !

I wish i could be more positive about Wozniak and his recruiting abilities. Amazing to me that his RB recruiting results since coming on staff is so pathetic/unimpressive. No ‘signature’ recruit at all to speak of … (Glass or Hill dont count in my book). The Salesperson who ‘inherits’ accounts is never held in the same esteem as the Salesperson that delivers a ‘net new’ account to the customer portfolio. You can debate all day long about what’s more important ‘coaching or recruiting’. The reality is, you have to be excellent at both requirements as evidenced by Josh Henson. Great recruiter and average coach.

5 Likes

Woz has been abysmal as a recruiter.

He has been good at evaluations just not good at landing those guys. Look at some of the players he went after and what they are doing now at the schools they went to, even guys that were just 3 stars. Doesn’t matter though if you can’t land them.

2 Likes

That’s a mystery about Woz I’m pulling for him but it’s not easy to . He was Monken’s guy as well but Monken didn’t like recruiting much either or so I’ve heard .

1 Like

Ah yes…the Dame of the North.

4 Likes

I think Woz gets more bad press because people expect oSu to do well recruiting RBs. I think there is a general apathy in recruiting at oSu. The fact Woz has a job IMO doesn’t send the message Gundy is serious about winning championships.

My hot take is Dickey hasn’t been as good as advertised and would say Joe Bob is average at best.

The CWB offer this week IMO shows that apathy. oSu used to fill the CWB spot with preferred walk ons. Now oSu is using scholarships on JUCO TE known for blocking when the class is barely inside the top 50. I will admit I wouldn’t care if the class was in the top 25 and oSu was filling out final spots. The reality is oSu still needs impact recruits. To me that is waving the white flag on getting inside the top 30.

1 Like

@tomg I agree on the CWB. When I saw that offer I was like WTH. Why are we offering this guy now?

1 Like

It’s cause Rudy was offsides wasn’t it.

1 Like

Or it could be that the fact that the last two recruiting cycles the RBs we’ve gotten, Glass, and Richardson have fallen into our lap. Woz really can’t recruit at all.

Still up in the air in regards to Dickey. IMO he hasn’t had time to build the relationships with recruits yet. And IMO this would be the year we should be seeing results of some kind, except COVID.

Also, still not sold on having two DL coaches.

1 Like

FB recruiting at Ostate is just a very dismal topic overall. Incredibly depressing. After 10(+) years we have gone backwards while the quality/volume of recruiting/evaluation events have gotten much better. That is NOT a recipe for success in ANY type endeavor.
Grundy can SPIN his narrative all day long to the masses that take it hook-line-sinker and it is nothing more than him making excuses and believing the fans are dumb enough to buy into it…its not, ‘look how well he does with average classes’. ‘Its think how good see could be if Gundy stepped up his game’.

I better stop now :rofl:

4 Likes

Where is this Norte Dame you speak of? Never heard of it.

1 Like

If (when?) football for high school shuts down this year it’ll be really interesting how the recruiting plays out for the seniors. Any of those kids who might have broken out won’t be noticed leaving more ‘diamonds in the rough’. I’m curious if that plays to OSU’s advantage or if it’ll be a non-factor.

3 Likes

Somewhere on the banks of the Pecos.

3 Likes