Football Recruiting Thread

Plus camps etc won’t likely happen either so it could get very interesting.

2 Likes

Am I dumb or is today some signing day?

2 Likes

First day to make the offers official, I believe.

1 Like

Yes just saw that with Valdez!

I will admit to not knowing it was such a thing, though.

4 Likes

Well If we don’t get any signature it is not . I kind of thought (hoped) we would and I’m a little salty(also bored) about it . But… covid .

I like Gundy for the most part and am in the camp that doesn’t want to move on from him . I also want to be able to question him and light a fire under his @$$ too. Recruiting, who he tabbed at qb and position coach hires/fires/walks to name a Few things .
I say all that to say this, seemslike every year he gets another reason to slide . New OC,DC needs time to find his recruits, finally got more recruiting money and needs time, covid etc etc

And They all have brain fb degrees of validity we could debate until the cows come home. But I’m just getting tired of them (obviously) . And I don’t want to make a hasty decision which we obviously can’t do anyway with his contract and our current situation to boot .
I’ll pause the ramble to catch my breath.

TLDR just read the first part and skip the rest . Ain’t nothing there no ways .

I got very excited because I saw the Kelley and Oliver tweets first with both of them being committed then saw Valdez and thought that was his announcement and signing. But then saw he also had Texas Tech and Purdue as well!

1 Like

I’m not mad. It was looking like he was a heavy OU so…fck the Sooners!

3 Likes

I think your comments summarize a prevailing opinion among a lot of Fans including me.
I know this much to be absolutely true though. If I was given a 3x increase in a solitary budget line category (aka recruiting) with expressed intent from my Board Directors to IMPROVE performance AND I actually went backwards? Guaranteed, there is a different person in my chair the following year. MH got a lot on his plate now, but he cannot be happy with Grundy and his recruiting performances since he increased Gundy’s recruiting budget. Frankly, I don’t understand how Gundy can be satisfied!

1 Like

I think we would all be hungry for more if a line item in our budget got a great boost of capital . That’d definitely get me up earlier and working later .
Gundy is a mystery and that’s part of the intrigue and part of the angst . Well he will have time to figure it out and has a fresh cop out that’s good for at least 2 more years maybe more .

I would go even further and say that the CWB is the poorest recruited position on the team. Jelanie was recruited as a QB. Ross, Boomer and Odom are all gone with zero production. Everyone else who has contributed has been a walk-on.

3 Likes

I can’t say they aren’t the poorest recruited position, but I do think they are serviceable based on what is asked of them.

I’m no plays guru but they bring value in the box picking up defenders for the run game and a mismatch player to defend in the secondary. They fit somewhere between the highly heralded skill players and the unheralded linemen. For that reason I think more production will always be expected of them since it’s a possibility, but will not hit the mark most of the time due to how we utilize them.

Our QB play in recent years should be considered as well, specifically last year. CWB probably isn’t the first or second read on most plays we have when we do pass it. Once Spencer gets faster at progressions you’d like to think those wide open CWBs will be noticed and utilized (i.e. get the production everyone expects of them).

4 Likes

I think the position is important! Wish we recruited it better.

3 Likes

I’m with you. I did a poor job of closing the loop. After all that I should have mentioned that it’s probably tough to get good TE style recruits to commit and stay committed when as of late we haven’t been using them (or the system is limited to them being used because of QB play) the way highly rated recruits want.

3 Likes

I love the idea of the position and want more from the execution . Probably the same as you two . Hopefully a young man from Tuttle can change that and put some eyes on us in the process . Those eyes need to be straight and attached to a 6 foot 235, 4.77 running
, soft handed but hard knuckled quiet young player . I’m still here dreaming But there ain’t much left to do these days .

With the type of QB we currently have, why don’t we go for true TE’s? Brandon Pettigrew comes to mind.

5 Likes

We have briefly held commitments from some of those players in recent years before they jumped ship to A&M or was it Mizzou? Anyway, I don’t think it’s for lack of trying.

1 Like

I saw that comment, I’m a bit foggy, lol.

Unless I’ve missed something, he has a TCU jersey on in his profile pic.