Gen Z Punk Watches 1988 Bedlam Game for the First Time and Blogs About It

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/gen-z-punk-watches-1988-bedlam-game-for-the-first-time-and-blogs-about-it/

A first look at a classic Bedlam.

1 Like

I have 3 big takeaways from this:

1. @marshall if your born in 1995 you’re a millennial not GenZ
  2. The fact that OSU called a timeout just to let Barry catch his breath is both hilarious and insane to think about. I can’t imagine that ever happening in todays world.
  3. How many schools can say “Hey we should honor THREE Olympic gold medalists at halftime of our rivalry game and biggest game of the year.” That is a huge flex. Also makes me think we kind of take for granted how good OSU is at non-revenue sports.

Great notebook though! Enjoyed the read.

1 Like

I was going off this chart. I’m a inbetweener of sorts

Haha that’s funny. I’ve never seen 1995 listed as that. My family was literally talking about this yesterday, and my younger sister was mad that she was born in January 1998 rather than December of 1997 because that made her a GenZ and not a millennial.

Great article, thorough summary, brutal game. Even though it should never have come to it, (the ref that called a personal foul was hopefully put down after the game) that last pass will play over and over in my nightmares.

3 Likes

Great article, but it was hard to read. 1988 was my junior year at OSU. I didn’t miss a game at Lewis Field. For .000001 of a second (if there is such a time) I was sure Brent Parker was going to make that catch. It just didn’t work out.
Here’s hoping we don’t have any disappointments this week! GO POKES!

2 Likes

Marshall, I read nearly every article on the blog. So far this is one of my favorites. Great recap and takes. Thanks for doing this!

2 Likes

13 year old me was in the stands, the heartbreak is still real

2 Likes

Glad you guys liked it. It was a lot of fun to write.

2 Likes

Well done. I like these “live retro blogs” of classic games. Porter recently did the Durant/Boggan 3OT classic basketball game, and now you’ve done this one. I suggest each PFB writer should do at least one of these per year - a mix of great wins and a few unforgettable, painful losses. Helps you understand us “#olds”. :man_white_haired::man_bald:

As for this particular game… it was the year after I graduated and I was living in the Sacramento area. Was so mad and frustrated after the game that I spent close to 2 hours shooting baskets by myself at the basketball court in our apartment complex just to let the frustrations out and cool off. [I don’t recall if the ball, rim, or backboard suffered any damage.]

3 Likes

The hugest flex.

2 Likes

Same. @kyleporterCBS I would definitely love more of these for both football and basketball. Maybe during March (or the offseason), you could do notebooks on the Final Four runs. Or the Rutherford for 50 in Allen Fieldhouse. They dont even need to be super old games. Id love to read an updated notebook on the 2011 Texas A&M football game… Don’t know how hard it is to find these videos, but I’d love more of the retro notebooks from you all.

2 Likes

I have been watching OSU football since my father took me to a game at Lewis Stadium when I was eight, in 1968. The anticipation, dread, disappointment and misery that results from bedlam is best captured in this article which is still a pleasure to read:

Ironically, written in the year of the “Great Thrashing.” But also the year of the “Great NCAA Shaft.”

On cold, blustery, rainy winter days, I still track down BigDave’s post of THE game on YouTube and go back…

2 Likes

I was in a house full of ou fans 2 blocks from the stadium because we couldn’t get tickets. 88 was the year I was suspended from school for an atrocious freshman year and some “off the field” issues. One of my buddies destroyed a recliner within seconds after the drop. Side note: I played basketball in a league with Parker in 92…great guy! …except for the time he bawled me out for missing a pass on a fast break. Had to hold my tongue there!
Go Pokes!!

1 Like

I still think the hardest to swallow is 2012 in Norman. OU led for ZERO MINUTES AND ZERO SECONDS and won. LOL @ us.

1 Like

I was at game with my 10 year old daughter. Been going to ok state football games since I was 4 years old started going in 1957. This was a heartbreak for sure. A friend of mine who is deceased hunted the ref down who made call on limerick after the game to congratulate him by throwing a full glass of beer in his face… have thought about this game many many times since, what happened to Brent Parker?

No. 41 for OU was Richard Dillon from Ringling, small Class A school in Southern OK. Not that that game is still burned into my memory or anything…

1 Like

Sam Bradford fumbled near the goal line on fourth down in 2008 on fourth and goal and ran it in as well.

Thanks for the kick in the testicles with that pointed steel toe boot with that blog.

1 Like

I was there. That night, Brent Parker joined Chris Rokens on my s@&t list.