Grades: OSU, Gundy Flunk Another Test as Season Comes to End

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/grades-osu-gundy-flunk-another-test-as-season-comes-to-end/

What a way to end the 2022 season.

2 Likes

Perhaps Gundy’s response was a little strong, but Marshall’s question was inappropriate considering the time and place. Boone himself is guilty of name calling as well.
Pokes for ever!

5 Likes

At least if there is no changes to the staff then at minimum let’s change the schemes. We have 3 talented young running backs. It’s very painful to watch several drives without mixing some more runs in. I feel we could of had a better game plan for Rangel consisting of some passes out on the flats and some slants or some play action. We were called out for being predictable last night. Our offense looked confused on several plays as well.

1 Like

Hard to give Rangel a B for that performance. I agree he’s young and wasn’t put in the best situation but that was a C- at best. Also on the Gundy note, I understand you two don’t get along, there’s a lot of previous history there and if I remember right Boone was the one who helped stir up the whole shirt fiasco. Was Marshall correct for asking the question about new staff? Yes, the offense has been disappointing for far too long and players are taking shots at the offense as they hit the portal very fair question that should have been asked. With that being said, does Gundy have the right to not answer that question because he’s not going to disclose information when it comes to people’s lively hood as he stated before he talks to them? Absolutely he does. Is he actually going to pull your credentials? I highly doubt it, if so then criticism is warranted. However until he does don’t get into a sh** slinging contest because you asked a guy right after a bad last 6 weeks about firing half of his staff and he gets defensive. If he actually is going to fire people that’s a very difficult job to do especially with people who have been with you for 10 years like in Dunns case so he probably didn’t appreciate it too much and to me that is understandable.

7 Likes

Felt the same way when I read the article and watched the clip. Gundy asked if he actually expected an answer and Boone admits he didn’t. He’s acting like Gundy isn’t frustrated. It can’t be easy, but Gundy is a professional and should handle it better. Boone is also ostensibly a professional and should give some courtesy. He’s coached with these guys for years, it’s not easy to face the prospect of firing a friend. I’ve been there and it’s hell.

6 Likes

What a surprise journalism sticking up for each other. You boys need to toughen up. Sorry about the truth, but you know he has never talked about injuries or coach changes. Period.

3 Likes

Sometimes you got to do what’s needed. It’s a business at the end of the day. I was a general manager for years it sucks to get rid of certain people. Many times I’ve had to be a company first guy and friend off the clock.

1 Like

The question should have 100% been ask. The answer should have been we are going to look at every aspect of the program and leave it there.
But Gundy and half of y’all think Gundy and every aspect of this program are above reproach. For everyone who feels that way, you get what you deserve and this year’s season is what you deserve. Keep em coming.

6 Likes

If anyone thinks the coaches families haven’t been worried about job losses for over a month they are kidding themselves.

Really have a problem with Gundy on this situation. IMO he handled the situation 100% to his advantage. He threatened a reporter who didn’t kiss his ring, put the oSu admin on the spot for support, and used coaches’ families as the scape goat. I would recommend mentoring coaches you hire so they get better. The last two months have shown no signs of better. Offensive game plans are not good. Special teams not good.

Two things can be true. Gundy has earned his pay and job stability. oSu isn’t being well served paying a coach 7+ million for mediocre special teams and ineffective offense schemes.

3 Likes

Not sure what your point is, I’ve done the same thing and agree but recognize it isn’t fun.

In his defensive way, Gundy answered Marshall’s question. Seems pretty obvious there will be changes made, otherwise why respond the way Gundy did?

Now: Gundy owes Marshall an apology. It was a reasonable question. Yes, it could have been asked more artfully, but Gundy’s interruption of the question probably contributed to it being a little ham-handed.

That said, ignorance is a bad thing and head football coaches aren’t immune from it.

2 Likes

Actually, other reporters are saying it was out of line. Boone’s antagonistic approach was why I canceled my support of this blog.

1 Like

I couldn’t disagree with your take more on Rangel. He was terrible!

I thought it was okay for Marshall to ask his question. I didn’t think it was out of line. Response could be I’m not going to discuss that and move on.

4 Likes

There’s a time and a place, and right after another disappointing performance isn’t the time. It is a valid question for next month. I don’t get people like you who wallow in misery and think that somehow makes us better. Supporting the program through hard times helps it endure and throwing rocks at your own house doesn’t make it better. It might be time to make a change, but not like TCU. Firing a coach who brought your program to where it is in the middle of the season is a classless move. I guess it paid off for them, but Patterson deserved better. When Gundy goes it should be with the appreciation he deserves for elevating us from absolute obscurity.

3 Likes

Let’s be honest. The link to Pokes Report is from Robert Allen – Homer of all homers.

For all my crazed and insatiable desire for OSU information, PistolsFiringBlog.com is the best, most informative source of FREE information. Much better than PokesReport.com or GoPokes.com.

Lastly, Gundy awkwardly finished the presser by “I’m not mad about the game; I just don’t like ignorance.” Let me suggest Gundy SHOULD be a little mad about the game. And, if he’s happy with the way it went, he should be MAD about his inability to coach, teach and lead.

6 Likes

One more thing: sign me up for the first merch featuring Gundy’s profile with “Don’t Be An A**”.

3 Likes

Saw a clip of the exchange on “coaching change” at a non-sports news site. Interestingly the comments were overwhelmingly supportive of Gundy and how inappropriate the question was. Your article sounds like you guys are a bit b^^^ hurt over Gundy’s response. You might want to reconsider that.

1 Like

When Gundy questions a player’s desire to play football, if that player called Gundy an acehole on national TV, how would Gundy take it? For everyone of us that have been wondering if Gundy would make some staff changes. That makes it an appropriate question. Again I say he didn’t have to answer it.

3 Likes

The time should’ve been after it was realized KState wasn’t an outlier. After another bedlam beat down would’ve been a good time too. Also Patterson wasn’t thrown out mid season. They let him know they were going a different direction next season but the team was still his. He quit halfway through.

1 Like

“Boone admits he didn’t”

It wasn’t Boone. It was Scott. It was asked nicely. Respectfully. By a pro-OSU guy. If that question is out of bounds at the presser after the season is over……then when should it be asked? Gundy won’t meet with the press again until……Feb at signing day? Gundy has a job to do. You have a job to do. I have a job to do. Marshall Scott does too. He asked the question that has been asked on this site a million times in the last month. Gundy is the highest paid employee in the state & part of his job is to handle media. He’s been in that setting for 20 years. He’s the most media savvy coach you’ll come across & if he wanted to respectfully answer the question…….he could’ve. But he chose to try and embarrass/belittle a guy that is simply doing his job.

7 Likes