Grading OSU’s Win vs. Central Michigan: High Marks for High-Flying Offensive Debut

Originally published at: Grading OSU’s Win vs. Central Michigan: High Marks for High-Flying Offensive Debut | Pistols Firing

Spencer Sanders also scored very high marks.

I thought #1 – Xavier Benson – was not where he was supposed to be several times last night. If his game tightens up, the overall defense looks much better.

I wished we would try Trace Ford at LB. Be fun to have him, Oliver, Martin and Lacy on the field at once.

4 Likes

You know that wouldn’t be a bad idea if/when they switch to a 3-3-5 look.

1 Like

Defense was bad, but I think at least part of the blame is on the crowd/atmosphere. Gotta be tough to get up emotionally when your team is up by 40 and the stadium is empty for the second half. At one point they panned the cameras and it looked like a TU home game out there.

1 Like

Underneath crossing patterns were not covered very well by Pokes. I assume that’s often times LB responsibility. Offense looked very good but did not like the number of sideline throws and the frequent downfield homerun balls. Spencer had to make some tough throws across the field. We will get better!

4 Likes

“CMU quarterback Daniel Richardson threw for 424 yards and four scores, so it’s hard to be too terribly kind in grading the secondary. There were numerous busts and miscommunications on the back end, several times at the linebacker position, that cost OSU points and allowed CMU to accumulate chunk yardage. There were definitely some encouraging moments and some star players — Kendal Daniels, the former four-star recruit, had 11 tackles, a TFL and an INT in his first game with extended work”

Richardson had a CAREER-HIGH in passing yards against us. Which means not even the MAC defenses let him do this last season. Also, Kendal Daniels was a four star recruit. Now do you guys see why I have such a hard on for getting better players and recruiting classes?

2 Likes

Offense: B
Special Teams: B
Defense: D
Overall: C

2 Likes

Man, what does an A on offense look like for you? We gotta hang 70?

3 Likes

What is this uou guys. Were the ones who understand 4 star would be nice. Your the one who dies understand why they dnt come here. How many times can you forget this. Its not us its you

1 Like

Gundy got three of those top 25 classes his first six seasons here. Tell me what’s changed?

Yes and i explained that to you too. Ranking started in texas. There are guys they dnt rate now. How many did they not rate 20 years ago.
Joy i wish i were you just a simple person, making things up. Like, world is flat because water doesnt run off.

1 Like

I gave them a B because the offense in the 2nd half went stagnate and we really couldn’t run the ball, especially when we really needed to in the 2nd half to ice the game.

2 Likes

A self description of yourself don’t you think? Like us finishing in the top 10 in 2016? Or maybe that top 25 Boise team we beat last season? Or maybe it’s that 2021 “Big 12 League Champions” trophy we have?

2 Likes

Miss remembering is what ive none.
You miss whole concepts.

1 Like

I think the loyal and true Cowboy fans left early because they realize the importance of going back to their dorms in order to study. I am sure that none of them left to head for the strip for a night of celebration under the influence.
As for the grading, I have a hard time seeing the running game as a B+ when they averaged 3.9 yds and Gundy over the years has said they need to average 5 yds or maybe he said 5.2 yds. There were too many missed tackles and not finishing the tackles to give the defense a good grade. I have no idea why Dunn was done with the high octane offense play during the second half. I would have preferred that he got the score around 70 and then let Gunnar in the game to show us his arm. And to rely on your QB as one of your weapons for the run game is just too risky because of injury. Teams are going to land on his legs in order to take him out. He has shown since the Fiesta Bowl that he is now a skilled passer, and that is where we need him the most. We need to see more of a run game against ASU in order to see who are the RBs that we can rely on in Big 12 play. And let’s take a page from the CMU playbook and add more crossing routes for the passing game.
I’m a graduate of both OSU and CMU, but last night I had no warmth for the fire up Chips because of the way the last game with them turned out. As a mid-major, those Chips should have been fried in both halves of the game. Show no mercy, run up the score and show the world what the Cowboys are capable of. Let those players have fun and build confidence. Instead, we were embarrassed in the second half. This is not a gentleman’s game, this is war! Spence Sanders is not going to be drafted in the NFL, so this should be his time now, let him shine.

3 Likes

A C is fair for the defense overall, but a D or an F for the secondary - which at times looked completely confused and frankly lost out there. To be fair, the offense should have done a better job of extending drives in the second half - by running the ball - so as to let the defense rest a little. Gundy famously stressed 4+ ypc last year - what happened to that?

What is the average per run your going off of.
On stats i see we had 129 yards off of 29 carries thats 4.4

1 Like

That’s why Google should be your friend. Stop being lazy.

1 Like

He’s always said at least 4.5 yards per carry. The individual rushing stats by Richardson and Sanders wasn’t bad. It was overall as a team.

I happen to think it was Gundy telling him to try and burn some clock. Gunnar wasn’t given a single pass in the one series he went in.

Unless you’re the Baylor Bears. Then you do need his legs.

1 Like