Happy Hour

I have been spending my bourbon on Big 12 football and Jared Rosholt. Great win for Rosholt. Gonna fight for a million bucks on New Years Eve.

1 Like

Best place to watch MNF in the DFW area? A group of us are down here for work and plan on going out to see the game.

DFW Area is pretty big… if you’re more specific, I’d be glad to help.

If you’re near downtown Dallas, Okies seem to always be pretty impressed by Happiest Hour.

West Plano, Legacy Food Hall is the place to go.

Arlington, that new stuff between the death star and the new Rangers ballpark… Texas Live, I think… is good.

Fort Worth… I don’t know what’s going on in Dallas’ best suburb, but I’m sure there’s plenty of good places on West 7th to watch the game and get loaded.

We’ll be around the entire metroplex but moreso Dallas proper. Happiest Hour a good place to see the Cowboys MNF game?

Absolutely.

If you’re up around Addison, Yard House would be your best bet.

They’re both very generic, appeal to the masses type places. Can’t go wrong.

Sweet, we’ll check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Addison might still have a place called The Londoner which is also cool, but it does have a very strong soccer vibe.

I love soccer bars but the people I’m with will like that Downtown venue better I think.

Back in '69, I earned my dolphins (submarine qualification insignia). My boat was USS Patrick Henry SSBN599, we were in Holy Loch, Scotland. My dolphins were pinned on near the end of a 2 month patrol by the CO. When we pulled in, on the first day possible, my shipmates took me over to a pub in Dunoon called the Argile. We got there a couple of hours before lunch and started drinking beer. I drank as slowly as I could get away with, because I knew what was coming. By 8:00 that evening, we were all intensely mellow and were running back and forth to the head with the fervor of those who know you can only rent beer. Then my shipmates (all qualified submariners) stood me on a sturdy pub table (I own one of these tables - getting it was like reuniting with an old comrade) Next they had the bartender put a shot of everything on the bar until the glass was full. Then one of my shipmates took my brand new dolphins and dropped them in this very glass. The handed the glass to me and said, “Chug it!” Unsaid but understood was, “Be sure you catch those dolphins in your teeth.” (Later, back in New London, I saw a picture in a Patrol Report from the Abraham Lincoln, another SSBN. I was an x-ray of a new submariner’s belly, clearly showing his dolphins) Back to my story: By the time I got (shakily) off the table, I required assistance getting to the head. From this rises the term, “Commode-hugging drunk.” Another term, “Talking to Ralph on the big white phone,” comes to mind. What submariners lack in couth, they make up for in sarcasm and a twisted sense of humor. Hope you enjoyed my little tale. If you didn’t, you must be a Marine.

Note: This practice and many others have been outlawed by today’s Navy.

4 Likes

what did I just read

5 Likes

A story by some who barely dodged death by alcohol poisoning. Yowzah.

1 Like

I wouldn’t drink that concoction if someone put a gun to my head.

Now, I turned out OK. After 11 years of active duty, I matriculated at OSU, eventually getting a BS and MS

1 Like

I loved those Scottish pubs over there. I loved Scotch too back then. You know they don’t call t Scotch in Scotland They just call it “whiskey.”

1 Like

Well this is not how I expected this day to go

1 Like

You have to have a pretty strong constitution to ride the boats. You develop a tolerance for things. Like recycled air. tight spaces, little time to do anything but work and sleep, and Scotch.

I apologize for upsetting your day. This is the Happy Hour page. Now you know one of the little traditions of submariners during the Cold War.

1 Like

Definitely didn’t upset my day @SSBN599 you’re good. And I’m well aware of what page I’m on.

Glad to hear it. It was never my intention to offend.

And the Fish and Chips! Back in those days, 30 cents an order. Fresh haddock fillets, greasy fries, and salt and vinegar over it all. Addictive.

1 Like