How little is expected from Gundy?

He’s 2-12 against OU. At least split the series or come close is my thing.

2 Likes

Who has done that? I see Mack Brown had a decent record vs 0u… 7-10. But anyone else? Patterson is only 2-8. Snyder was 8-16. Not sure you will find anyone in recent years with a .500 record against them.

2 Likes

I don’t know that 50% is a reasonable ask, but more than 2 wins in over a decade and a half is not okay. But we’ve been over this a ton in other threads too. It comes down (in my mind) to ‘total wins’ (which he has lots of) vs. ‘meaningful wins’ (which would be 2011 Fiesta Bowl, 2 Bedlams, and…well). Therein lies the issue.

2 Likes

All of those coaches have a better winning percentage. I’m just asking for something better than 2-12.

1 Like

While Gundy has been HC, Texas is 7-8 against OU.

3 Likes

We all do. But you’re moving your own goalposts. So be honest, do you want to win more, split the series, or just have a different coach? (Rhetorical question)

1 Like

I think this example actually proves the point that @Alum_in_AZ is making. You gotta go all the way back to Colt McCoy to make Texas’ record against OU look good. They’re 3-7 against OU in the last 10.

So if your point is that you want OSU to be as good as Texas was in the Colt McCoy era, then sure. But be clear about what you’re asking. You’re not asking Gundy to “just split with OU or get close,” you’re asking Gundy to make OSU into one of the best 5 or 6 programs in the country, which is what Texas was back when they were beating OU.

You are perfectly within your rights to say, “I want Gundy to make OSU the equal of OU as a program, and anything less is unacceptable.” But it just doesn’t make any sense to say, “I’m fine with 9 wins per year, as long as we win close to half against OU.” That’s just not the way football works. Nobody wins half against OU in the long run unless they’re roughly the equal of OU as a program.

8 Likes

The point @ar1 is making is that, during the period Gundy has been our head coach, UT is 7-8.

So, for perspective, the team that WE are 2-12 against…UT is 7-8 against. Why is that, given that we’ve been great against UT all those years?

2 Likes

The transitive property doesn’t apply to sports.

2 Likes

Because we haven’t been great against Texas all of those years. We’ve only been great against Texas since about 2010.

1 Like

Not that it has that big of an impact but Texas doesn’t have to play OU in their home-state every year

2 Likes

Oh no! Only ten years…

Gundy is 7-8 against UT. We started getting somewhat competitive in 2007 (even almost beat them in 2008 when they were #1).

That also goes back through oSu all time greats Weeden and Rudolph as well.

Win totals for oSu typically go back to 2010 and everyone loves to overlook the fact the NCAA added an extra game in 2005 or 2006. 11 wins is the old 10 wins to be fair. When oSu won 10 games in the 1980’s they never lost more than 2 games. Now a team can lose 3 games and get to 10 wins and that is what we see under Gundy. When a team only plays 3-4 ranked teams it makes that feat less impressive IMO. Fan should look at winning over 5 year periods in the program. Past success is being used to ignore the current direction of the program which has been a rebuild in 2014 and 2018.

I’m moving the goalpost to the benefit of Gundy. I’d prefer to split the series but if that’s not possible then at least have an equal winning percentage compared to other coaches in the league.

1 Like

3-10 when they are down is better than 2-12 when we are up. That’s disheartening.

1 Like

Yeah, they have to come to Stillwater every other year which should be a tougher win.

Should be but as a student going to the games from 11-16, our stadium felt like it was 1/4 to 1/8 OU fans when we played in Stillwater

To be fair, that’s what it’s like in their stadium when we’re there. I went to the 2014 game in Norman and there was a ton of OStaters there.

I think 1/4 is a little high but 1/8 is about right. We take about 1/10 to Norman most years. Last year was the worst I’ve seen it for traveling OSU fans but both teams do travel. Our fans have more of an impact on the game though due to how the stadiums are set up.

Well, this will convince precisely no one, but since you asked…

Whatever part of it isn’t explained by one team being better than the other in a given year is probably mostly luck.

I don’t think Gundy is uniquely ill-suited to coach against OU any more than I think he has a magic potion against Texas. There’s a lot of randomness in college football; you win some you lose some :man_shrugging:

1 Like