How little is expected from Gundy?

Really Gundy’s record against Baylor is more confounding and frustrating than his record vs OU. If we want to consistently beat OU at some point in the future we need to decisively be the best program in the middle class of the conference, and we aren’t despite all the turmoil that program has had the last few years.

4 Likes

I totally understand that, and I get the whole “Any Given Sunday” mantra (pro reference, but it applies here too).

But UT being able to do that indicates a minimum level of success, and a particular expectation when they play OU. An expectation that they will at least split, or get really close to splitting, their games with them. And play them hard every time.

Honestly, I just don’t get that from Gundy. He doesn’t verbalize his desire to win very often and it’s frustrating. As I’ve said before, I’m cool with him outright saying “We’re going to win this year”. And if he loses, fine! That’s totally fine! At least we know that he is communicating the expectation in a public manner and letting people know he isn’t a coward.

Well, Kleiman is 1-0 vs. 0u… Let’s see if he can set a new standard.

1 Like

To add to this note. I would absolutely not be happy if we had the exact same season as Texas the last several years. (other than last year). I care about beating OU but not enough to convince me that beating OU as part of a 5-whatever season is worth the sacrifice.

1 Like

See, I just don’t get that.

So you’re cool with going 10-3…11-2…and if one of those losses is always to OU, whatever? Wouldn’t that 10-3 or 11-2 (or 12-1) look so much better if one of the wins is against OU?

1 Like

Also very frustrating.

Edit: Texas Tech being annoying the last few years also has me concerned.

2 Likes

I read his comment as he would rather have a 10-3 record with a Bedlam loss than a 5-8 record with a Bedlam win. I would agree with him. We would all rather have a 10-3 record with a Bedlam win. But then we would be livid that it was not at least 11-2 or 12-1.

2 Likes

My null hypothesis is that it’s impossible to reach the level of success Gundy has reached while being a sports-coward. The sports-cowards got weeded out of the business long before they start at QB as a true freshman, much less before they’re able to win 100 games as a P5 coach.

To me, what Gundy (or any coach) says about winning the conference is completely meaningless. He can say, “we’re gonna win the conference dammit!!” or he can say, “I have so much respect for every team in this conference that it’d be folly for us to expect to win it, but we’ll do our best.” I just literally could not care less. I think every word that comes (publicly) out of every coach’s mouth is self-serving disingenuous babble that doesn’t reflect anything about how they’re actually doing the job.

3 Likes

Yes it would absolutely be better if part of a 10+ win season included OU. but people here are arguing that having the same season as Texas has had in recent years beating OU would be better and I argue that it was not. Texas football seasons in recent years past…

Side-bar, I just did some backend research and basically proved myself wrong. there has only been one year where Texas both beat OU and went for only 5 wins which is what I was trying to use an example of my position. I highlighted the years they beat OU below…

On the flip side, I don’t have OU fans at my place of work or anything hounding me about it. If I had some outside influences pressuring me into thinking that we’re the “little brother” blah blah blah then my opinion might be changed.

Yes!

This was the correct interpretation.

That’s how I read it, also.

Texas also has talent on the same level as OU… which opens back up the recruiting discussion.

It’s all chicken and egg BS.

@TheHeadChimp and @Alum_in_AZ

Maybe my argument should be… I would rather have OSU’s last 10 years than Texas’ last 10 years.

2 Likes

Why was there such a drop from 2009 to 2010 for Texas? I can’t recall.

Don’t ask me?!? I had to go looking for their LAST year record. I am no Texas expert by any stretch

I agree that publicly it’s all “self-serving disingenuous babble that doesn’t reflect anything about how they’re actually doing the job.”

But I would add that Nick Saban pretty famously doesn’t talk about winning. He talks about doing the next right thing. It’s a fool’s errand to focus on the result, which you don’t control, rather than The Process which you do control to an extent.

4 Likes

Garrett Gilbert was no Colt McCoy.

In the past 5 years;
Charlie Strong beat them in his second year at Texas.
Tom Herman beat them in his second year at Houston.
Matt Campbell beat them in his second year at Iowa State.
Tom Herman beat them in his second year at Texas.
Chris Klieman beat them in his first year at K State.
They haven’t been unbeatable except for Gundy.

In the last five years, they have a 53-6 regular season record. So you are correct. They are not unbeatable.

2 Likes