How little is expected from Gundy?

In 5 years they have lost 6 times total… and we complain how Gundy can’t beat OU consistently. :joy:

5 Likes

We complain because he is 1-7 in games that were within one possession in the 4th quarter.

2 Likes

In the 99 games before Gundy OSU had a 16% winning percentage, if you subtract ties it’s 17%.
With Gundy it’s something less 14%.
With Gundy<
Without Gundy>

2 Likes

We should definitely judge success or failure on the basis of one game. I’ll never understand people stuck in this mode of thinking.

3 Likes

I’ll never understand people stuck in your mode of thinking either. No expectations of beating the best just thrilled to not last.

3 Likes

It’s obvious you don’t understand my mode of thinking since you can’t characterize it correctly.

1 Like

You know you have made a good point when it is based upon facts.

Serious question though, is everyone seemingly fine with losing to OU usually…but winning 9-10 games usually, also? I just don’t understand this mindset that OU should be a probable loss every year, and we shouldn’t care about it.

Beating OU and being consistently better than them helps, among other things, recruiting. It also, to an extent, helps attract more potential students who want to be at a school with a consistently highly-ranked upper-tier sport. I’ve seen this mindset firsthand, it’s not a myth.

2 Likes

And Texas has never been to Norman.

4 Likes

I think this is huge. Our flagship programs don’t ever face each other in an away setting. While there are certainly upsets in the series, I think it helps the better team come out ahead a bit more frequently than would happen in a traditional home and home series. I have no idea if actual results match my theory, however.

So then why doesn’t it help us, when we play in our stadium?

1 Like

There is a difference between being “fine” with losing to OU usually and firing the coach because he lost to OU usually. I want OSU to beat OU every year like my life depends on it. I am one of those fans that would rather have OSU beat OU than almost anything else. I am not ready to run Gundy out of town because OU is really hard to beat.

The start of this thread was about whether Gundy still deserves his job. I vote yes.

3 Likes

Ours isn’t 85,000 and filled to capacity?

Suppose I told you that Purdue is going to average 9 wins per year over the next decade, and Northwestern is going to average 11 wins per year. Assuming Purdue and Northwestern meet 10 times in the next decade, how many do you expect Purdue to win?

Whatever your answer to that question is, is it different if you replace Purdue with OSU and Northwestern with OU? Why or why not?

2 Likes

A great mystery. Bedlam aside, recent losses at home have been baffling and frustrating.

1 Like

Whoa, that’s like a math test and psychology experiment in one. I haven’t the will to attempt an answer. Maybe the stats guy OKC_Dave can answer: If team A averages 9 wins and team B 11 over 10 years, how many times is it even possible for team A to beat team B? I mean if team A won it EVERY year team B could still average 11 wins, but realistically it can’t be a high probability.

1 Like

So if Gundy coaches another 10 to 15 years and you knew he would average 9 wins but also knew he would never beat OU or win another conference title, would you still be for keeping him?

That has nothing to do with that. It’s OUR stadium. That’s the point.

1 Like

Do you remember when GIA was known as the best college basketball arena in America before the expansion? BPS is a very good home field advantage and IMO would only marginally be better with an upper deck added on for more fans.

1 Like