I hate OU and I live in :

I love OSU because I hate myself.

5 Likes

OU winning a title means we are losing Bedlam. I donā€™t want to lose Bedlam.

1 Like

I would do that trade in a heartbeat. 1 natty isnt a big deal to them. The we have so many NCā€™s argument doesnā€™t change with one additional title. However, if OSU starts getting top 20 classes, we become much more competitive and actually beat them more regularly. This seems to me like an easy decision.

1 Like

I do not believe, in the current system, OSU will ever make the playoff. I think the committee would take a 2 loss SEC (or even Big 10 team) before an undefeated OSU even with an excellent non-conference schedule.

Even if itā€™s just one more time?

Whatā€™s the evidence for this? No undefeated P5 teams has been left out. An undefeated OSU will not be left out unless somehow all 5 P5 conferences have undefeated champions.

The committee has passed over a 2 loss Big 10 Champion in favor of a team with fewer losses before.

1 Like

No it doesnā€™t. We can win Bedlam and they can still win a title, and we can set ourselves up to win a title of our own.

Crabs in a bucket is all this is.

My college football conspiracy meter reads as high as anyoneā€™s does, but even I donā€™t believe this. But unless there is some very unusual circumstance, I do think we need to go undefeated to get in.

3 Likes

Not if we play a good non-conference slateā€¦

I would hope soā€¦ but until a non-blue blood wins a CFP tough-call decision, I will stick with my conspiracy position. Bring this reply back up to me when Utah or Baylor gets in this Sunday. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A rational point, I donā€™t have any evidence. And - to be sure - this isnā€™t an ā€œeveryone hates OSU and we always get screwedā€ take.

My anecdotal observation is that the committee (and punditry) are always glass half empty with non-blue blood schools. There is always a reason why a non-blue blood gets excluded from the conversation. ā€˜Weakā€™ conference, no conference championship, no defenseā€¦ the playoff makes too much money to risk a non-brand name like Utah, or TCU, or UCF, or OSU to get in.

I believe the committee, like bowl committees, will move the goalposts (ha! great pun tom!) to keep a non-blue blood out if/when push comes to shove.

Itā€™s possible, but thereā€™s only one way to find out. We have to go undefeated. Not ā€˜one bad gameā€™. Not ā€˜oh, it was Bedlam so it makes senseā€™. Un-de-feat-ed. Beating OU twice if we have to. If we still wouldnā€™t get in, then there would be legit cause for fury.

4 Likes

Truth. And our current typical non-conference strategy of one solid P5 (or Boise State) and two G5 games will be sufficient for that. Just donā€™t want a FCS team on the schedule to open the doors for omission.

Iā€™ve been expecting this one for a really long timeā€¦

OSU beats OU in the regular season and is undefeatedā€¦ itā€™s OUā€™s only lossā€¦ OU beats OSU in the Big 12 title gameā€¦ jumps OSU for a spot in the CFP.

Nightmares.

2 Likes

Youā€™re a monster and I hate you for saying this.

4 Likes

An undefeated P5 school is getting into the playoff 100% of the time to suggest otherwise is nonsense.

2 Likes

Yep. And thatā€™s why crazy hard non-con scheduling is not helpful. Unless everyone does it.

All depends on what you want as a fan out of the football season, CFP potential maximization or more potential for fun matchups. Iā€™m firmly in the latter camp.

Listening to national podcasts and websites discuss some of the open jobs, Iā€™m glad weā€™re past scheduling wins hoping for bowl eligibility. Even with one less non-con game, we still have more flexibility than Arkansas and Ole Miss who must schedule 4 guaranteed wins and then hope for 2 SEC wins.

1 Like

We both have reasonable but different positions on non-con scheduling. Regardless, there is no reason the SEC should not schedule one more cross-division game per year and then have only 3 non-con games per year. Other than SEC protectionism.

1 Like

Thatā€™s how it should happen, according to basically everyone on here, right? Win your conference championship, youā€™re in?