Instacap: Oklahoma State Survives a Wild Game against Tulsa, 28-23

I’m lost as to why an OT would block down and double team the NG when there is clearly a DE outside of him and we are in a 5 Wr set. Of course said DE sacked Sanders.

3 Likes

Why hire Tulsa’s OLine coach? Tulsa RBs we’re 30-88, less than 3 yards a carry. OSU’s backs were 30-87? Seems like both run games were crappy to me.

2 Likes

Ok fair point, some of his RPO’s were very poor reads.

Short 10 thoughts:

1. Spencer hasn’t gotten any better

2. Gundy is still mediocre

3. Dickey is the most overrated OL coach in the country

4. I watched the Kansas game last night and we look just like the offensively

5. Jaylen Warren should be the #1 HB

6. Kasey Dunn is not an OC

7. We aren’t winning in Boise

8. This team resembles 2005

9. Tulsa defensive knew where the ball was going 90 percent of the time

10. The offensive coaching refuses to do their job

3 Likes

Was he in the box when he made those plays. Yea he did a nice job.

Did Brooke Martin play? I did not hear his name.

I feel like a change of O.C. is needed. I dont feel like the play calling or offense meets what the athletes are. Sanders is obviously not a pro style QB, and OSU is obviously not set for a pro style QB. Last week against Missouri St we had a pro style QB that barely threw 50% of his passes, A O-line that couldn’t block. Shane is a statute sitting in the pocket. If what was ran today is RPO then it’s the worst RPO play calling I’ve seen. I think we might be suffering a Identity Crisis on the offense. Sanders is a true RPO player, build that offense around your QB, and call the best plays suited for him. Sanders isnt the Issue. If we want a passing QB then get better offensive linemen or develop them better. Go pokes!

4 Likes

Yes. He never even look at the de. I guess he thought he was still playing guard

Just what I was commenting about, right on.

We need to find a new HC.

2 Likes

Boy I hope the Big 10 and Pac 12 got to see how impressive we are. Like Gundy said, "We are in a good place "

1 Like

8 and sometimes 9 in the box and we still call a run??? Which OC coach is not communicating from the press box to the sideline? Or is the sideline play caller overriding good calls? Hard to believe that any Div 1 offensive coach would knowingly run his rb’s into a 9 man front + backers. Or do we just need a new OC? Dunn was great with the WR’s but right now the offensive play calling sucks…at best.

At this point, I’d personally rather Gundy’s replacement hire a new OC. I’m a bit tired of the Mike “I want to be like Pat Jones” Gundy’s mediocre coaching.

For the past several years, we’ve lived on the coat tails of a few NFL level players carrying the team to a middling bowl game. Unfortunately, this team has no NFL level players currently playing, and with the quality of coaching seen thus far, I’m not sure we can make up for that loss.

3 Likes

Here is the best way to explain it:

Kansas played at #17 Coastal Carolina last night. So I watched that game. Despite 15 hurries and 6 sacks, the Kansas offense has 412 total yards (238 passing and 174 rushing). They had 8 yards per pass completion and 4.6 yards per rush.

Now here it is Saturday afternoon. Mediocre Mike and his offense post just 274 yards of offense against a team that lost to UC-Davis. The offense gets 6.7 yards per pass completion and 3.3 yards per rush.

Right now Kansas has a better offense than we do. We have a way better defense (even though we’ve played Missouri State and Tulsa so far). So we’ll see how the defense does at Boise, but I don’t think anyone should have any faith in the offensive coaching staff overall to fix this problem.

We are a 3-9 or 4-8 team at best, and we will not be going to a bowl game this season. I’ve been saying it since 2017, and I’m going to keep saying it. WE NEED A NEW HC!!!

2 Likes

I was wondering. I have seen someone on here say every single coach and water boys should be fired except the DC and glass.
This body by glass is I think over rated. I know injuries happen. But when u have guys who can’t make it thur per game.

I think the coach that’s satisfied with a 35th average recruiting ranking over the last 10 years should be gone. That’s what happens when you get average recruits and bad coaching. You look like a 3-9 team in the battle for 9th in the conference along with Kansas.

Does anybody feel good about Jelani Woods stats today? 5-122 1 TD.

2 Likes

I do. I’m glad he’s finally being utilized properly, which was never going to happen here.

3 Likes

So let’s see here. My prediction was 26-20 in OT (the final was 28-23). Then I said OSU would neither cover the spread or the over/under at 51.5 (it was at 51 this game).

So you might ask how I got this correct? It’s because I know who the head coach and his tendencies. I’ve been watching him every since he took over the program. He’s not hard to figure out.

2 Likes

No one has been down on the special team this week, yet