Instacap: OSU Survives Three Turnovers, Second-Half Lull to Defeat Baylor 24-14

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/instacap-osu-survives-three-turnovers-second-half-lull-to-defeat-baylor-24-14/

The resilient Cowboys leaned on their defense and rushing attack to stay unbeaten.

3 turnovers is a big goddamn yikes. We can’t keep doing that along with rarely scoring in the second half. Glad we get a week off to prepare for Texass. Hopefully they win by like 2 in a close hard fought game against OU and are worn out for us.

5 Likes

Defense played really well tonight. Sanders had a rough game, that last interception was Owens fault ball hit him right in the hands. If we could figure out how to get more success out of the passing game this team could be dangerous in the big 12 but I’m afraid it’s going to be a lot like tonight, some amazing throws and plays but then some head scratchers that make you have 0 confidence in the passing game.

6 Likes

Defense shines, Offense sputters. Rinse, repeat.
The bye week couldn’t come fast enough.

4 Likes

It’s pretty impressive when your QB gives the Baylor offense three extra opportunities to score, and your defense gives up 0 points on those turnovers, and still manages to hold an offense to 14 points total in the game.

5 Likes

Once again Gundy out coaches his opponent. If the offense can play like they did in the first half against K-State we will give Texas everything they want. The defense looks like a top 10-15 defense in the country.

4 Likes

Your right. I guess it had nothing to do with David Aranda running the ball on third down multiple times against the strength of our defense.

I guess it had nothing to do with Aranda going for it on 4th down from his own territory with half a quarter still to play when he’s only down by three.

I guess it had nothing to do with Aranda abandoning the pass even though Baylor was having decent success on short passes and getting PI penalties when their receivers challenged our corners deep.

I don’t want to take anything away from Gundy because I didn’t think he did a bad job (except the third quarter), but it was more about Aranda outcoaching himself rather than Gundy outcoaching Aranda. If anything it was Knowles outcoaching Baylor.

1 Like

Gundy knows what he has and coaches to it. 5-0. Go Pokes! Beat Texas In 2 weeks.

5 Likes

We’ll see when Texas rolls around in a couple of weeks.

Do you really hate Gundy that much, or do you just want to be right so bad that you hope Texas wins?

5 Likes

I don’t even know what to expect against Texas. One week they look like a team loaded with 5 star talent that could beat anyone and the next week is like watching a dysfunctional **** show. Meanwhile OSU runs it 70% of the time and prays Sanders doesn’t turn it over the other 30%. If Texas shows up ready to play we may get beat by 30. But if they’re more worried about the cars the boosters are going to buy them and Sanders is dialed in we may beat them by 2 scores.

2 Likes

They didn’t have time to pass! It’s no one’s job but aranda’s to control his decisions. We played them well! Our defense is probably top ten in the country. We’re strong and fast. Other than the 50 runs up the gut on 1st and 2nd downs, I thought our offensive plan was good. Sanders has zero intelligence when it comes to reading a D. On the zone read, he often hands it off when he should take it, and takes it when he should hand it off. That’s a coaching problem. But, unlike you, i only blame gundy for dunn. This O has gone downhill since dunn took the reins. Everyone can say what they want, but it was prolific until dunn. Sanders, IMO, needs to sit. Maybe for just a week or two, but he isn’t a qb. He’s a not so great rb that can complete a pass 50% of the time. If anything is on gundy, it’s dunn… And if dunn can’t play the best player to win consistently, he needs to go. That’s what he gets paid for… I like dunn, but he’s over his head. In business, when someone wants to leave, the worst thing you could do is convince them to stay. Gundy should’ve let him walk…

2 Likes

My thoughts as well. Pessimistic much?

1 Like

I’m glad the 4th and 2 worked out but especially after Baylor used their last time out, I was shocked they didn’t kick the field goal. Whew!!!

Just win baby!!

2 Likes

5 words…Get him out of there. If hes the best we have then we are in trouble for a few years.

Going for it on 4th and 2 was the correct call. If they didn’t get it (thankfully they did), you still have Baylor pinned deep in their own territory with no timeouts and have to drive into FG range for the tie against our D, which was playing superb as usual.

4 Likes

After this game I look at the team a little differently. I got chills when one of the commentators toward the end of the game listed some of the Cowboys who are not playing because of injuries. With those guys able to play this should be a completely different team. So quite an accomplishment for this team to beat anyone up to this point without all those key players. But what I still see is that we have a QB who is not good enough. I have to agree with Joe when he pointed out the coaching from Baylor. I kept saying during the first half that Baylor can win this game if they forget about the run game and mainly pass in the second half. I keep thinking that OSU has used up its share of luck, but apparently not.
I think we might get too many points scored by Texas to win that one. Chalk that up to all of our guys out with injuries. Texas will be the first good team that we play. I agree that Dunn should have been allowed to just walk and we could have found an experienced OC since we like to overpay coaches.
Too bad we have to dial back our passing game because Sanders is not that good, no consistency. The result is we are wearing out Warren and the risk for injury is great with all of those carries. The other RB did well, he should have carried a bigger load, but that is on Dunn.

1 Like

I don’t want Texas to win, and I don’t hate Gundy. All I’m saying is 10 points in three halves of play probably won’t cut it.

Anyone else find RG3’s commentary obnoxious?

3 Likes

I did hear him but God he has to hate osu.

2 Likes