Kobe Bryant, RIP

Kobe was my generations MJ. I never thought a celebrity death would hit me so hard. But Kobe is a reason for my love of the NBA. I’m rocked.

Others reporting that his daughters weren’t there. We just can’t know for the moment.

Yeah, definitely a fixture during the time I really started paying in-depth attention to the NBA.

I grew up with the MJ Bulls, but it was during Kobe’s tenure that I started caring about the league as a whole. And boooyyyyyy, do I have my “Kobe hate” moments, lol.

But I thought his “revenge” championship on Boston is one of the best storylines of his career. The Celtics fans were trashing the Lakers team bus when they left after losing in 2008. So Kobe was like, “alright”, and proceeded to obliterate them next season.

I really wish people on Twitter would just stop trying to report stuff without 100% certainty. If someone falsely reported that his daughters were onboard, or reported it without actual confirmation, that’s about as low as it gets in my book.

Agreed completely. It’s one thing to confirm Kobe’s death. It’s another to try to ‘confirm’ deaths that may or may not have happened. I’ve also seen sources say that Rick Fox was on there too. So…we don’t know.

That Alexis Wainwright tweet doesn’t exist now.

That’s…not good.

Cancel the games.

That’s being discussed.

The NBA is probably the closest knit group of players. I guarantee nobody wants to be on the court after that.

Especially considering most of the guys in the league now grew up idolizing Kobe.

Update (via TMZ who I trust): Kobe’s daughter Gigi was on there with him. She was 13. F-ck. F-ck.

Sorry for the constant updates, but I figure that it’s important to keep actual news rotating.

Watching these guys try to play basketball right now is extremely difficult. Emotions are way out on their sleeves.

Tiger too. Clearly not okay.

This video has me in tears.

The Jay Williams thing was great. Tiger is going to be good on Kobe after his round.

Kobe was one of the best basketball players in the history of the game. The death of his 13 year old daughter is terrible and I mourn and pray for the family. Kobe also had a situation at a hotel in Colorado in 2003 that makes it hard for me to know how to feel about him.

1 Like

Please note that this is not directed at you, randy2 - more of a commentary on some people I’ve seen.

His history was complicated and, over the next few months, that’ll all be discussed, I’m sure. What is utterly inappropriate (not saying you did this at all, mind you) is oh-so-‘helpfully’ reminding people about it and trying to frame his life in a certain way, like some complete trashbag ‘journalists’/commentators (Buzzfeed, Jezebel, etc.) have done this afternoon. The man and his daughter just died and millions of people are mourning. Maybe being not a completely worthless piece of crap involves understanding that allowing people space to grieve and come to terms with a devastating loss is more important than scoring some morality points on how much better you are than he was. Just my (pissed-off) perspective.

Just saying I don’t know how to feel about him. It’s a terrible situation.

I know. And I wasn’t criticizing you at all. I’ve just seen some completely heartless assholes almost celebrate or take joy in reminding people of that entire situation. The smug self-satisfaction dripping from those Tweets is legitimately sociopathic. It’s okay to be conflicted. I think a lot more people are than they let on. There’s a time and place to discuss all of that, though.