Marcus Watson in trouble?

Agree

Fair, but then you’re assuming that any of the other guys are going to do some unsavory things…

Edit: And yes, this is insanely terrible news. However, I’m going to nip this in the bud and declare that there’s no way Coach B can tell if things like this are going to happen, especially if the guys don’t have any sort of record to go off of. I can already hear the “ThIs Is A tReNd” idiots coming around…no, it’s not a trend.

There was no way to tell if some guys were going to get a BB gun and shoot some peoples’ windows out.

There was no way to tell Watson was like this (again, if all true).

1 Like

Lolz

1 Like

shoulder shrug

Notice I said “if this doesn’t turn out well”. Well, looks like we’re at that point.

That’s fair. I don’t think I worded my argument well. And it was posited before the PFB article dropped. To address the initial point, I wasn’t trying to insinuate that the rest of the guys are bad apples. I do think that at some point player conduct does fall on the coach. I think Mike has exercised good judgement in handling issues once they arise and predicting players to do dumb (or allegedly unforgivable things in this case) is impossible. But to immediately dismiss it as just a coincidence is crazy. My point from the other day stands: other Big 12 schools are kicking guys off the team left and right. Two consecutive years can be a coincidence. Three straight years? Maybe we start taking a closer look at it…

1 Like

I get you, but again, you’re flipping a coin with these guys.

Do the Duke’s and Kentucky’s and UNC’s get lucky because they mostly get “one and done’s”, whose chances for effing up are small because they won’t be there long, and they can sweep most things under the rug?

What if Duke had recruited Watson as their “last” recruit who could stay there for three years, potentially? Would Krzyzewski have known he would do something like this? I guess my question is, what tools are in place, besides interviewing people and doing background checks, that can predict this stuff?

Maybe we need a mechanism like the one in “Minority Report”, for recruiting purposes… :slight_smile:

Keith Brumbaugh made it really easy for Sean Sutton, remember? He actually did stuff before he came to Stillwater.

1 Like

So assuming he’ll be charged on the 7th if The investigation isn’t far enough long by then or completely done? I guess the court date is to advance to trial or eliminate the restraining order? I guess

Yeah, I get your point. And Eddie made himself a legend by taking guys with checkered pasts and turning them around. It can be a coin flip, but it seems that the coin is landing on the wrong side the last few years. It could very well all be coincidence, but I think there is at least a conversation to be had about the entire process. I’m not here to condemn Boynton, but I’m not just writing it off as dumb teenagers yet either.

1 Like

Fair.

Good talk. high five

1 Like

All it takes is someone being upset to ruin someone elses life, with how things have gone the last few years with people in the spotlight being accused every other week I will reserve judgment.

Uh, no, it takes someone committing rape, actually. And more women are reporting nowadays because they feel more comfortable doing so.

Your comment is why a lot of women still won’t report it.

9 Likes

That is your opinion and I respect it. But to accuse someone of rape does not require someone to commit rape, that is a fact (actually). Look I am not here to argue you have your opinion and I have mine, If being rude makes you feel better about your opinions that is fine with me.

We don’t need to fire back and forth at one another over it. We can all agree rape is a very serious and horrific thing. If he did what the woman alleges in the protective order she filed, he’ll pay the price for it. We’ll see how the judicial process plays out.

13 Likes

What Kyle said. It’s irresponsible to say ‘he definitely did it - put him in jail immediately’ and irresponsible to say ‘he definitely didn’t do it - she’s lying’. The truth will out in court and it’s incumbent on us to not let our love of the team or our hatred of such a vile act lead us to make definitive statements about things we simply don’t know yet. They’ll both make their statements, both tell their stories, and the consequences will happen when it all comes out. Until then, let’s just hope for the best/most just outcome possible. Deal?

2 Likes

Yeah this isn’t that hard.

Wait for the law to run its course and don’t speculate, because no matter what the outcome is this situation sucks, and someones life has been forever, permanently, catastrophically changed. And that’s sad.

4 Likes

Horrible situation. One of the times where there’s really no good outcome ( life wise). Unfortunately another start to the season marred by some sort of off the court situation.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with any of this, and I seriously hope, for OSU and Marcus’s sake, that he is exonerated.

But for someone to suggest that “hey, people just casually throw out accusations because they’re mad” is such misogynistic crap that we are better than. It simply perpetuates the notion that OSU and its students are “backwards redneck” a-holes from the boonies of Oklahoma.

False claims happen. We all know this. But they are the exception to the rule.

With that being said, let the cards fall where they may.

10 Likes

Well said. It’s gross to read a bunch of, primarily, middle-aged white men wax philosophical on why a woman would not report a rape.

As someone close to a person who made a decision not to report, fear is a huge motivator for a non-report. Imbalance in the power structure (big man on campus) between the two parties can make the alleged victim feel that justice won’t be served and the process would not be worth it. When the alleged victim’s name is out, at some point, people on the internet will drag her. That’s the sad reality that no-matter-what, a portion of our society will say “she was asking for it,” or ask “what was she wearing?”

Let it play out. If Watson can be proven guilty, lock him up.

3 Likes

I just can’t imagine how Boynton is doing. Just sucks for everyone involved…

Thanksgiving is going to be really uncomfortable.

2 Likes