Mike Gundy Gets Raise, Becomes Highest-Paid Coach in Big 12

You already done 10-12 years worth just last week alone

2 Likes

Unbelievable!

1 Like

So your leaving us thank God

1 Like

All of those bashing this, can you please name another coach that has won Power 5 conferences (that we could get)? Literally any other coach we could realistically get would be a step down.

3 Likes

Willie Fritz, baby!

He’s not a Power 5 coach.

Dave Aranda, Kyle Whittingham, Mark Dantonio, Scott Petersen, Luke Fickell. Those are coaches who have at least one conference title or more, and two of them have been to the CFP.

Fickle isn’t a Power 5 coach… however, he will be. Why would Aranda or Fickell come here to play in the same conference?

2 Likes

Congrats Gundy,now if they have another Lowe scoring offense like last 2 years go get you a new OC with that baller money

1 Like

This is a big time chess move. It puts a stake in the ground and builds on the vision Mike Gundy revealed after the Notre Dame game. This move declares: We will be the premier football power in the Big 12, and not wait until OU (which is no longer a destination job for head coaches) and the team which annually wastes top 5 recruiting classes (otherwise known as the longhorns) depart. This is just one move of many, but it is a powerful one.

2 Likes

The highest paid coach to average finishing 4th. But we pay to just make a bowl, I noticed conference titles are never mentioned as a expectations or goal,so I can only assume they are not a expectation or goal.

1 Like

You should go be a fan of a school with loftier goals, otherwise aren’t you accepting the same mediocrity?

1 Like

I can’t wait till the conference championship game so we can settle our bet!

1 Like

Coaching salaries are what they are. Pat Jones says that, compared to Lil Wayne making $15 million in a year, even Saban is underpaid.

I am more interested in the posed question. " One Question

• If you could have one assistant for next season… which would you rather have: Dana Holgerson, Todd Monken, or Jim Knowles? "

I am greedy, I want Holgerson AND Knowles, even if Holgy’s offense will put pressure on Knowles. Knowles defense won’t have the stand out statistics, but Holgy’s offense will score more than Knowles defense will allow more often than not!!

GO POKES!!! (even in this world of semi-pro, unrestricted free agents, ‘amateur’ athletics!) :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

From what I can tell, that ties him for 8th highest of all college coaches. Good thing championships don’t matter.

3 Likes

Kind of like my wife… her ex-husband sure set a low bar!! Thank goodness for me… and Mike, expectations aren’t too high, but I am not getting a 7 figure raise from my wife! lol

Hopefully this will light a fire under Gundys you know what and force him to up the bar a bit more. Last season was one of the best I’ve seen coached from him. I’ve seen him coach some clutch games before. But hoping to see some consistency a lot more now. Odd it took all these years to really open the check book up on the football program. I was super surprised on what they paid for Mason. No more dogs, smoothies, or ego trips no more at the media interviews plz.

Exactly. Fickell also didn’t have to wait until his team was down 28-7 to change anything up against ND. He pretty much controlled the game from start to finish.

We gave Gundy a raise after finishing 3rd in the conference in 2017 (three home losses). A guy that routinely flirted with other jobs to get a pay raise when many had him playing for a conference title that season.

You need to have money for NIL to have a chance in college football today. Giving more money to the head coach for winning a major bowl game once every ten years isn’t a declaration of being the premier Big 12 team. It’s just the OSU administration reaffirming what we already knew. The goal is just to make any of the 40 bowl games out there.

1 Like

Cool. Sounds like a terrible organization. Go be a fan of someone who is out to win.