Mike Gundy Signals Shift in QB Philosophy That May Affect Recruiting

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/mike-gundy-signals-shift-in-qb-philosophy-that-may-affect-recruiting/

What it means for the future and for the here and now at OSU.

1 Like

I wonder who else has been saying for a while we need dual threat QBs. Too bad Corndog was only a starter for 1 season, he couldā€™ve been great, out played 1st round pick Drew Lock. :thinking:

I donā€™t think Rangel is very mobile at all, Kyle. Iā€™m not seeing what youā€™re seeing.

3 Likes

I donā€™t see whatā€™s so ground breaking about this? Youā€™ve always needed to be able to navigate the pocket and avoid the rush for just that split second longer to get the pass off. I mean Tom Brady couldnā€™t run out of sight in a day but he could navigate the pocket, step up when needed to by just a little extra time to get a pass away. To me this is less of a need in identifying new QB prospects and more of a need in teaching QBā€™s how to navigate a pocket with proper footwork to avoid a rush.

Rudolph had that too. He was able to shimmy and slide out of the way a lot especially early in his college career .

2 Likes

Seems like Flores fits that build,& Osu should go after that mold. If only Osu can steal away Zac Robinson to come be OC next season,that fits his build perfect

4 Likes

Iā€™ll happpily eat my hat if that happens but no way in hail that comes to fruition . Thatā€™s just cowboy dreams

Has anyone ever talked to Zac to see if he has any interest in coaching college ? Maybe coach in waiting ? He has evidently made a mark in the pros

1 Like

I do love people who want bill self oh im sorry zac.
Lol morons

1 Like

I donā€™t think Zac has ever been an assistant ever ? Recruiting ? Running a program ? Whole different ball game than what heā€™s done!! :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

I can be a moron at times, but even I donā€™t want Bill Self.

2 Likes

With as much turbulence as there is going on eight the NIL/recruiting situation in college Iā€™d wait until that blows over . I mean recruiting has always been difficult in college and you donā€™t have to worry about it in the pros so thereā€™s that . Plus his team won the Super bowl hard to leave that .

1 Like

HCMG and I often donā€™t agree. It boils down to ā€˜gamblingā€™. He wants to play it safe, play the oddsā€¦ as if we have the personnel to do that. I want to riverboat gamble in leachesque style with the chips I have and either win big or lose big, but to hell with just maintaining the status quo for us!! While every team is forming a defense to play opposite a mobile dual threat quarterback with mediocre accuracy, find me another Weeden-esque statue with pinpoint accuracy, a quick release and an offense that isnā€™t afraid to gamble. It isnā€™t like we have so many chips, ala Alabama, Georgia, even OUā€¦ that we canā€™t afford to lose. We can afford to ā€˜gambleā€™. We actually canā€™t afford not toā€¦ (double negative, anyone??) Leach knew it at Texas Tech and is a legend. Gundy should know it at oSu by now. Give them what they ARE NOT expecting and let our chips fall where they mayā€¦ jmho.

GO POKES!!! :cowboy_hat_face: :softball: :cowboy_hat_face: :softball: :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

You realize youā€™re asking someone who couldnā€™t get into the end zone from the 5 yard line multiple times in the 2021 CCG game to gamble, right? Maybe when we finally find an offensive line and a rush thatā€™s better than 3.6 yards per touch we can think about gambling. Until then expect the rinse and repeat method to be in full swing for next season.

2 Likes

Yeah, I realize. and I am probably way off, but had we ā€˜gambledā€™ at various times in that vary game earlier, not in the sense of going for 4th downs, but in the sense of calling aggressive plays, misdirection, innovationsā€¦ then we either would have not been in the game needing that td from the five yard lineā€¦ or we would have already had it won!! I am not seeking a situational ā€˜gamblerā€™, I am seeking a mentality that starts in spring ballā€¦ from the coaching staff.

Side note, so glad that Mason is gone, but not sure about the new guy. I always want Gundy to be head coach as long as he chooses, just want his balls out of his wifeā€™s purse on game day!! Wish we had a new OC, but it doesnā€™t really matter, as Gundy has his fingerprints all over the offense since Monken left anyway.

THANK GOODNESS THAT WE ARE A SOFTBALL SCHOOL!!! GO POKETTES!! :cowboy_hat_face: :softball: :cowboy_hat_face: :softball: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Not sure there is anything new in Gundyā€™s statement. Sanders, Walsh, and Chelf were exceptions rather than the rule.

Rangel, Gundy, Flores, and Bowman are all ā€œmobileā€ QBā€™s that will grab a free 10 yards if thatā€™s best option. None are single dimensional Weedenā€™esque statues as we have seen on tape for each.

I always break it down as who the QB can out run: DL, DE, LB, DBā€™s. Sanders could outrun LBā€™s and many DBā€™s. Rangel looks like he can outrun DL, DEā€™s and some LBā€™s. Gunnar might be a step faster.

Sanders helped mask our woeful OL and subsequent Run game. And look where it got us. He got banged up, then knocked out. Gotta get the OL and Run game established.

3 Likes

Finding another Weeden was luck. We were the only one that wanted to even give him a walkon, he tried uo before us. Weeden didnā€™t like practice. In my best Allen Iverson voice :blush: of course Weeden had the best WR ever to me too. Cooper was a bad asx himself and Moore
Give me luck anytime over talent. Holgerson called plays, he even went over what Gundy called. The perfect storm, just wish we had got to play LSU , I think we win that matchup :cowboy_hat_face:
Go Pokes :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

Lots of NIL deals for players are falling apart, Florida, USC ā€¦ they promise lots to recruits and a lot wind up falling apart. Maybe it will settle soon Recruits., some will see itā€™s not all about the money. They will want to hopefully want to be in a ā€œculture ā€œ :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Good luck. Donā€™t see it happening. Maybe we can steal one from Kansas this season.

2 Likes

No way these NIL deals give the boosters a positive Return on Investment - $400K for Sanders in Stillwater? Takes 100,000ā€™s of cheeseburgers to cover that check.

3 Likes

Play calling is another facet that needs a tune-up. Letā€™s face it, Monken, Holgy and Yurcich were at another level to what weā€™ve seen lately.