Monday Notes on Coaching Positions

• I talked to a few people over the past few days. One who is close to the side that would be approving an OC hire said there hasn’t been anything credible regarding Monken. That was of late on the weekend.

• I said this on our podcast today, but there’s been a lot of uproar over the “well there’s a contract ready for him” stuff that’s been out there. I mean, yeah. Of course there is. It would be university malpractice if there wasn’t always a contract available for Monk. That doesn’t mean there’s interest on both sides. I think in a perfect world there would be, but I haven’t gotten the feeling from people I’ve talked to that Monk is chomping at the bit to come back. Could change, and maybe I’m wrong about that, but I remain dubious.

• There’s been some Zac smoke for an open coaching position. It’s easy to envision Dunn as OC and Zac as QB coach, right? I was told on Monday that there’s nothing there regarding Zac as a potential coach … for now.

• My prediction on all of this stays the same: Dunn as some sort of elevated offensive coach (maybe even co-OC) and an outside hire as OC (or co-OC)/QB coach. Monken and/or Zac would be a dream, but as of right now I would be surprised if either happened.

8 Likes

Welp… come on Chuba come back lol.

I don’t like this, try again. :joy:

6 Likes

So basically Gundy is going to go out hire some lower level OC that we are all going to complain about because Gundy is going to be able to control that person and become complacent in big games and waste another year of what could be one of the most dynamic trio this school has ever seen. Great I don’t know why I let this program football particularly get my hopes up that things will change. Because I afraid that as long as Mike Gundy is in charge of this program nothing will change.

3 Likes

I mean, maybe. I don’t know who he’s going to hire. I’m just starting to feel as if it’s not going to be Todd Monken.

2 Likes

Kyle I am fine with it not being Monken after the first shock factor of the possibility that Monken could come back I came to realization that it was more likely than not it would not work out. But I along with I am sure more than half of the fan base would like fore him to hire someone if he is going to hire a Co-OC it at least be someone that someone knows something about, not just some jo blow out of someone little bity school. Am I being to hard on Gundy?

Call me crazy but I would love either Zac or Weeden to come back and coach…

2 Likes

Kyle, do you know what the reason for the lack of smoke around Zac is? Is it a lack of interest from either side, or is it something that hasn’t even been kicked around yet?

1 Like

So basically Gundy deciding he wanted Dunn more than Gleeson is all we know so far. Maybe not a “one or the other”, but kinda feels that way. If it was that kind of choice, then yeah, I am happy with direction so far. Would of course love to see Monken, but I agree it feels like a long shot .

2 Likes

Probably because he has a nice entrance into NFL coaching right now.

I agree, I hope that if it doesn’t happen it’s because Zac just loves his situation right now and isn’t looking to change, and not because he doesn’t want to come back to OSU at all or because we don’t want him.

Hell what is the general doing? He still at TCU?

Abeleine Christian in Texas.

1 Like

And we don’t want him. Not yet. He’s incredibly raw as a coach and would be wildly, WILDLY unprepared to handle a job like this one.

1 Like

You think? He’s played under Gundy. He’s been on the sideline in some capacity.

I’m telling you what I’ve heard. He has potential to be good maybe a decade down the road. But absolutely, positively not now and not this early in his career. Let him work his way up the ranks first.

1 Like

I feel you on this at the moment… want someone who is proven at the level we want to play at… it’s going to cost but it’s time to do it.

Does he have 15 games of playing experience? That should count for something, right.

/s

2 Likes

Not a bad idea but who? If they are proven at the level we want to play at they are making more than we can pay them (Bama, Clemson, LSU, Ohio State etc), and/ or they are holding out for a head coaching job (or just got one). I looked at last years team offensive rankings and not really seeing any power 5 OCs that are from a team ranked above us in those stats last year that would be available. The one that does look interesting is Wake Forests OC WARREN
RUGGIERO

1 Like

I don’t really want Zac to come back… yet. I want him to climb in the NFL - get to an OC role (or main QBs coach) over the next five years THEN come back and take over as HC when Gundy retires. Irrational?