National Signing Day Live: Stay Up to Date with Who Signs with the Pokes on Wednesday

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/national-signing-day-live-stay-up-to-date-with-who-signs-with-the-pokes-on-wednesday/

Stay up to date with the Pokes on Signing Day.

So we have signed one transfer safety, 2 high school safeties, and 2 CBs. But we still have Jacobi Oliphant CB and LaVonte Johnson out there uncommitted. Do you think we are still after them or are well full at DB in this class?

1 Like

Man I hadn’t thought of that . Did we get those other guys because we weren’t feeling a full commitment from these two ?

1 Like

Can we add the walkons? We have the OL of the year in the state of Arkansas. He had over 140 pancake blocks this year

1 Like

One thing to note. True Freshman safeties grow into LBs and we also run 3 safeties as our base defense, so our depth chart at Safety is likely to be a little longer than what you’ve seen in years past with OSU running traditional defenses.

I will have to go look but were misssing 1. Not including if the Missouri kid comes

1 Like

Has anyone seen if Maealiuaki Smith has signed his LOI yet? Curious because he’s the lone QB that had a commit to OSU.

1 Like

The QB hasn’t signed yet

2 Likes

Still can’t recruit. Still can’t win the conference.

1 Like

I have feeling Josh Ford will come to OSU as a TE, but leave as as a 320 pound OT….?

2 Likes

Not a bad class unless you’re a star watcher. All most all had good offers from good D1 schools
Tell me why the two Fields kids aren’t 4 stars ?
The one that flipped can play multiple positions

2 Likes

I was talking to a guy here at work who is an Arkansas grad and even though on paper they out recruit OSU, he was making the point that there’s probably not much difference between a player rated 87 and a player rated 89 or 90. In a lot of cases they are likely the same caliber of player on average. Would we like to have a team full of 5 stars, sure! Do we have a team full of 4 star talent, I believe we do. Look at Landyn Cleveland’s offer list and tell me he’s not a 4 star. Hendrix was unrated, now rated an 86 today. Ratings are only an educated guess.

I’ll say what I said about the last couple of classes. In general, we are recruiting bigger (taller and heavier) dudes over the last few years. Yes we lean on player development more than Alabama does but we have been bringing in bigger, faster, and stronger players than we used to even though that doesn’t show up in the ratings. I’d like to see us improve on OL talent and DT talent coming in, but we’ve obviously made the improvements at other positions.

6 Likes

Also, did anyone see where our decommits signed? Tulsa and Arkansas State. Both rated 88’s. Did we not want those guys anymore or something?

I think you are right in referencing the star rating. Why was Cleveland not rated higher ? Offers from OU , Alabama late so they saw something these star raters put him at. We need to stop with the
“ how many stars “ do they have. It’s a very flawed system that guys are paid to rate kids and they never see them play. I like this class on D , wish we had a little more offense. More DL
Nardo seems like he gets who he wants

1 Like

Who were the decommits ? Maybe we cooled on them They didn’t sign at D1 schools?

1 Like

It’s fairly common knowledge that if Fields would have committed to OU early that he would have been bumped up a star. Same with the player who was offered by Bama.

2 Likes

Totally unrelated to this thread but was just watching NFL hard knocks S1E5 and Tyreek Hill is watching film with Tua Tagovailoa and Tyreek is wearing a Oklahoma State Cowboys shirt. Pretty cool considering what transpired when he was at OSU.

3 Likes

Are they a 4 star status? If so, we most likely have given up on them.

The real question is this:

Is this good enough to win the conference in the future?

Are you a fortune teller ? Or future ?