Off Topic 🚀

Left the TV on after the Masters and randomly caught the 60 Minutes piece on James Webb Telescope.
That thing is amazing! I don’t even understand 99% of what I was seeing but astronomers seem really pumped!

5 Likes

Connect it to the Conference Realignment thread.

We’re adding Houston and UCF → Johnson Space Center and Kennedy Space Center → James Webb Space Telescope. Boom.

The JWST is a technological marvel and I have loved seeing everything we’ve been able to do with it so far. I love astronomy

6 Likes

Somewhere in the vast openness of never ending space, if you look long and hard enough, you might be able to find a habitable planet with another living creature that shares Dave’s theory of OSU and KU going to the B10.

6 Likes

Go check out Star Talk. Neil deGrass Tyson is my favorite human being.

1 Like

What if we had a science/space thread? People could post stuff like this and it could hopefully remain free of any insult-fests that got the other threads shut down. Hope you don’t mind the name change. It seemed appropriate, plus I couldn’t resist the opportunity to slip Sun Ra into a thread.

3 Likes

We recently moved from the east okc area to the northeast Edmond / south Guthrie area and the stars at night are substantially better. We were a few miles from Remington park and those light pollute pretty bad

1 Like

Sounds like you’re in my neck of the woods. South Logan County? If so, welcome to The SLC!

I was at a buddy’s wedding in the middle of nowhere Temecula CA and at night i could see that band of stars that looks like a rip in the sky (my friends referred to it as “the milky way”) but it was my first time to be somewhere and actually see it.
Clearly I’m an astronomy buff by my correct use of the lingo.

3 Likes

I’ve always lived in cities and haven’t done much camping so I’m literally sheltered from some of this.

U bet sorghum and Coltrane

There’s a whole other world out there if you get away from the pavement. If I could figure out how to financially do it and have the same level of quality life like schools, internet and healthcare we’d live out by @NoMansLandDan

1 Like

Speaking of the air, is everyone okay tonight? Praying for everyone to be safe and the winds to calm.

1 Like

Some wild activity around OKC. Tulsa’s been pretty quiet.

1 Like

This is not space. It’s slightly political, but my judgement says it’s okay. When govt agencies get snarky on social it delights me. :star_struck:

6 Likes

Whoever runs their Twitter account does a phenomenal job! It’s gold!

5 Likes

It happens on earth, which is a part of a solar system, which is a part of a galaxy, which is a part of a universe. I think it’s on topic, well done!
Also, I love that account.

Edited to add: Some of those animals are nocturnal. You know what’s visible at night (out of the city at least)…STARS!

2 Likes

That account is a blessing.

4 Likes

Tulsa is looking at getting international flights soon to Mexico.

2 Likes

Space flights?

2 Likes