Official Cade Cunningham thread

Keep in mind basketball recruiting isn’t like football recruiting.

You can win huge with 4 stars and some crafty veterans. Like final four huge.

Football you have no chance without primarily 4&5 star dudes.

That not to say we didn’t want him anyway, but if we don’t get him it doesn’t change the trajectory of the program all that much.

Yes and no. On one hand, CC would give OSU basketball a huge kick in the pants nationally with other recruits. From a marketing perspective it gives u one more thing to highlight.
On the other hand, given CC would likely be here one year if it doesn’t provide the upside of propelling the program forward at a quicker pace it doesn’t change the program dramatically.

Worst case scenario – which seems less farfetched today than it did a month ago – would be Cade and Bryce both teaming up … at North Carolina.

The honest truth is that no one has any clue what Cade wants to do. But I talked to a recruiting insider this morning who told me that he’s basically taking this bet off the board. He once thought it was OSU, but because he’s waited it out so long (and because off some vibes he’s put out), it seems like anything is possible. A lot of staffs feel like they’re in a good spot to land him (including OSU’s).

The main difference with the Dax situation is now I’m paying for the bad news, if it happens.

5 Likes

Not great, but also not doom and gloom. It will be up and down, along with mixed news, until he signs somewhere. Even committing isn’t committing, best to just try and enjoy the ride

there are multiple people on other sites that are directly disagreeing with what is being posted on this site about cade cunningham

Everyone has “sources”

yes they do I think all that we can do is wait and see, we know one thing is for sure MB is going to work his tail off in recruiting and we will live with the results as long as he starts winning on the court.

Where?

On ostateillustrated.com the Sutton court forum there is a 40 page thread about cade Cunningham were there people that are still saying for sure he will be a cowboy

What are you hearing? (I don’t have a paid subscription to rivals)

The thing that is disappointing is that an early commit could’ve resulted in a carryover with other recruits. If he commits in November we have probably lost the opportunity to use his signing to help bring in an elite class

The thing is – and I wrote this here – at this point no one knows where he’s going. Not even Cade. But the most notable development is that he visited OSU and left without committing, and is now signaling to other coaching staffs around the country, I’m told, that he’s not a done-deal to OSU. Maybe he goes to OSU still. I don’t think we can rule it out. But he’s still saying to other coaches – Roy Williams, John Calipari among them – that he’s still wide open.

I could be wrong but it seems like his plan all along has to been to go through all his visits and make a decision, so him committing would’ve been out of the ordinary.

Everyone is freaking out that he is talking and looking around but that has always been the plan and he has always been wide open and never publicly stated that OSU was the favorite, if that is making people unsure or doubt now then they should’ve never had confidence in it in the first place.

His brother works for OSU and we were the first to offer him, other schools are obviously more prestigious and have more drawing power but the fact remains, he is sticking with the plan he has always had and that is to weigh every single option and make all his visits before making a decision.

2 Likes

I mean he’s doing his due diligence to find the best route for himself.

I think when it comes down to it, he will choose the route to Stillwater. Great Facilities. Opportunity to be a legend that isn’t necessarily guaranteed at UNC or Kentucky. Young, energetic coach that you’ve built a great relationship with that will care about you well beyond your time at OSU. Your brother is there. Your family is close.

End of the day he’s a top 5 draft choice and no matter where he goes that will be true. He could go to North Texas and still end up number one overall. So he’s just going to pick where he wants to be.

To be clear, Cade not committing was not unexpected – no one thought he was going to. What’s surprising is that, after his visit, Roy Williams and John Calipari both re-engaged him. For two Hall of Famers to do that they had to have been pretty sure that he is, in fact, still open. Otherwise, why would they waste their time on him? Cade has made it clear to staffs that he’s wide open, and that’s pretty notable considering his brother, Cannen, has now been on staff for several months.

I’m pretty skeptical that they ever stopped speaking with or pursuing Cade considering he put both UNC and Kentucky in his top 5… I think that Duke, Texas, Michigan State and maybe Kansas stopped and that’s who he was talking about when he said “if they want to stop recruiting me because of my brother that’s their choice.” I think those that backed off were cut from his list and those that have kept pushing are still in it to win it.

4 Likes

What are the odds CC is holding off on committing as a way to legitimize his brother being hired? If he signs early then it looks as if he only signed because of his brother and that his brother only got the job because of CC. If he waits he helps his brother look more like a legitimate hire, to an extent.

1 Like

I think he was set on taking his visits regardless. But, if MB hired his brother with his lack of credentials, and we don’t land CC, he’s on a leash so short you can’t see any daylight.

1 Like

I mean they stopped by his school which is also a basketball powerhouse with tons of recruits outside of Cade. Roy is also out there this week making in home visits with other 2020 PG recruits.

I have no clue what Cade is going to do. He very well might be wide open. I don’t see the fact that Roy and Calipari where at his school as any big sign one way or another. I think if and when Cade starts taking other inhomes or goes on visits is a much bigger deal than coaches at his school.

1 Like