Oklahoma= Midwest or the South?

Find this topic really interesting. People I talk to seem really split on it but I personally think we most resemble the South. Have at it.

1 Like

Southern Plains

12 Likes

Midlands.

How I view it. We don’t fit in the Midwest or South.

7 Likes

According to the District Bike folks, it’s MidSouth.

Southwest

2 Likes

I think if you were going directionally, Oklahoma is in the south. If you’re going on slang terms, It’d be more so Midwest. The south seems to be associated with the southeast directionally, Bama, Mississippi, etc from the civil war days. Some say Oklahoma is in the southwest, but Oklahoma is closer to the East coast than the west coast, slightly.

1 Like

Having lived in Alabama for the last few years and recently locating back to Oklahoma, Oklahoma is nothing culturally like the south. I would have considered Oklahoma part of the south before my stint living there.

6 Likes

neither

2 Likes

the midwest is closer to the east coast than the west coast also

1 Like

Agreed. It doesn’t have the same history or demographics…… or geography or climate, really.

I find Oklahoma much closer to Indiana than any other place I’ve lived (well I did live a year in Fort Smith, but that is basically still the same as Oklahoma.)

I’ve lived in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Indiana, Alabama, South Carolina, and just moved to Georgia.

2 Likes

half the state in the south other half in the midwest

3 Likes

Yeah it definitely varies a bit within the state, but out of visits to Iowa and Alabama I felt more similarities to Iowa from Oklahoma than from Bama.

2 Likes

Eastern and SE Oklahoma is the definition of the South. Hillbillies everywhere. Basically Arkansas/Louisiana once your down there. Northern to western Oklahoma is more Kansasy. Central and Southern Oklahoma is a hybrid of both the South and Midwest. I feel as tho culturally Oklahoma fits the South pretty good. We love football. 80% are conservative,(yes that’s a variable). Hardly anyone I know talks with a Midwestern slang. Most people here have even just a slight southern drawl. Just my opinion tho.

2 Likes

I’ve also dumbed it down to my sports mind by asking myself if we would fit better in the Big 10 or the SEC. I say SEC by a wide margin.

2 Likes

Do you know anyone who takes a chandelier to their tailgate or wears a suit or cocktail dress to the game? That’s SEC…

I was gobsmacked at the insanity that is tailgating in Tuscaloosa.

2 Likes

when people ask me what oklahoma is I just say it’s the Great Plains like Kansas and Nebraska. It’s not the Midwest. It could be considered the Southwest (parts of it) as Texas and NM are southwest and it borders both. It also borders Arkansas. the state really is in the middle of a bunch of other regions.

3 Likes

Not South and definitely not Midwest. Central Plains is best, Southwest is next best. Like @ColinAbische said, Oklahoma connects several different areas. I35 splits the state pretty well between “South-ish” and “Southwest-ish”. Central plains works best.

4 Likes

They don’t even have fun tailgating. They are outrageously fancy, but most people are stressed out and angry. Winning yields way more relief than joy down there. That tends to be true in most of my SEC tailgating experiences except for Ole Miss. The Big 10 crowd is way more laid back for the most part which makes me feel like we align a little bit more with the Big 10 in that regard.

3 Likes

Bama fans are the most stressed out fans I’ve ever seen. They complain when the score is 0-0. “This is the worst. I can’t believe we didn’t score right there. We CANNOT let LSU score!”

It’s been 2 minutes 30 seconds. Let’s calm down, you’re gonna have a heart attack in that bow tie.

And the prayers in church often mention football in fall. Granted I didn’t grow up in a college town, but I never heard a prayer about football in an actual church until we moved to Alabama.

7 Likes