Oklahoma= Midwest or the South?

I love this argument. If those are my only too options, I say South. The correct answer is probably Great Plains (if that’s a thing), but I would say Oklahoma is Southwest before Midwest. And I agree that Midwest is a dumb name for a region that is essentially in the Northeast.

7 Likes

East of Tulsa? Don’t want to offend our Tulsa area brethren by calling them hillbillies.

1 Like

well, since St Louis used to be Gateway to the West it makes sense in that term. Anything west was No Man’s Land and a barren landscape.

5 Likes

Similar to people calling their fridge/freezer “icebox”, dating back to when ice was delivered to your house and you would put it in your fridge to keep things cold.

1 Like

Talk Sports…

1 Like

Funny “icebox” story I still remember almost 50 years later… my grandfather liked to graft different tree species twigs/branches to a healthy tree trunk (I think he was putting a paper shell pecan branch on a native Texas pecan tree trunk). Anyway, he had a branch of the new tree wrapped in a wet paper towel and asked me to run inside and “put it in the icebox”. I proceeded to put it into the freezer… that did not go well. I think I learned some “colorful” words that day…

6 Likes

It is a perfect debate since there is no right answer. Google “maps of USA regions” or something similar and see how many different perspectives there are. [Unlike the Weeden vs. Rudolph debate which has a clear and undeniable winner which you have yet to embrace. :wink: ]

4 Likes

Can we just go with South Plains?

5 Likes

Yes, it is clear and undeniable that Rudolph is da goat.

If you hope to grow your subscription base, bad takes like this aren’t going to help. :joy:

6 Likes

I view it as being geographically in the middle of the country.

1 Like

Texoma? As much as it chaps my backside, culturally Oklahoma is closer to Texas than it is the South, Midwest or Southwest. In many ways, its somewhat its own creature.

7 Likes

Well, the part of the state I’m from is called Texoma by our meteorologist

3 Likes

Guys. We’re the Heartlands.

7 Likes

We should just call it Oklahoma. Or “Home”.

2 Likes

Hey @marshall reading all the responses to this thread has been pretty fun. Do you think we could do some sort of question/debate of the day, sports related or along the lines of this thread, as a way to drum up engagement on the Forum? Especially since it’s still the middle of summer.

I’m down for any and all of these type things so long as they are fun and don’t involve politics or people starting to yell at each other.

8 Likes

Sounds good to me!

It’s weird that a non-sports thread can exist in here.

2 Likes

There are plenty of non-sports threads here. Like @marshall said, the problems only arise when we bring politics into it and people start fighting and driving folks off the board.

5 Likes