Oklahoma State 2021 Spring Football Preview: Wide Receivers

Is there any thing u won’t cry about.
U keep Sitting on ur bench (saddle).

Playcalling has a ton to do with which routes that guys do or don’t run. For example, Tylan was either “beat you deep” or “jump ball”.

I think playcalling is the problem. I’ve never thought it was Tylan or James fault that their coach only calls 2 pass plays or they are too block.

1 Like

I… I just… I’ve come to the conclusion that absolutely nothing will ever suffice for you. I can at least understand the never-ending Gundy bashing to an extent, but now to say Dunn isn’t a great WR coach? He’s getting half the talent the blue bloods are getting (since the star next to a kids name means so much to you guys) and he has a Biletnikoff finalist ■■■■ near every other year. Blackmon, Stewart, Washington, Ateman, Johnson, Wallace, over and over he has at least one dominant WR every single year. And if Presley is anything like his showing to end last year and his hype around the team this year, he’ll have another one to transition into once again. He had 30% of the 2010’s national WR OTY winners, and should have had 40%. What they do after college is somewhat aided by how they get coached up in college, but eventually it’s on them to continue to improve and perform. If Pro success was the measure of a college coaches abilities, we could say that Mark Few is a god awful coach because only 1 of his former players have ever made an all star team and the rest have fizzled. We all know that to be the furthest thing from the truth.

2 Likes

Throwing over the middle has always been a terror for Gundy. It’s dumb, and we’ll never get away with only throwing to the outside, but the doc showed multiple times why it was an issue. Take the WVU game, Shane had a decent afternoon and threw to the outside all day long. Then he finally decided to throw it over the middle and threw it right into the Chest of a WVU defender not even close to a WR. Right after that Gundy goes “What did I tell you about throwing over the middle?” And Dunn goes “you’re right my bad, I’ll go back to what works.”
Then you notice the next game we never threw over the middle (even though it was just Kansas) and Shane dominated. Very next week, Sanders starts off well and then we call a pass over the middle again and he throws a pick into double coverage. Once again, Gundy goes “there’s that over the middle again.” And Dunn says “that’s on me.”

I agree it’s the coaches job to find ways to get the ball spread over the field, but for whatever reason these guys always get put in bad positions when we throw it over the line. I would use Sanders small stature and a god awful pass blocking Line as an excuse, but Shane is a giant and he did it too.

1 Like

But to your point, I do feel like we finally decided to spread the ball around multiple areas in our last two games and Sanders went 47/70 for 652 yards and 7 TD, and his 1 INT was a jump ball in the corner of the endzone that Martin and the DB wrestled for on the ground before the DB pulled it away. Not holding my breath but maybe, just maybe, they might have figured a few things out for next season at the end of last season. One key there was Wallace was only in for 2 of those 6 quarters so they didn’t try to just force go routes to him all day. Almost every single Sanders pick and fumble the past 2 years came from him holding the ball and running around in the backfield for way too long. Gotta get some quicker routes going for him.

1 Like

If u notice the Martin play was single coverage and I mean single, there were just 2 players over there. Sanders threw short. More air it would have been a td

That is the big difference with shane he knows how to throw it away.

True, but in that situation you don’t throw it away. Just make a better throw. Then again, that occurred 15-20 times with Tylan and Stoner and they would tend to come away with it almost every time. He shouldn’t have expected that out of Martin. But if that’s his only mistake in 2 games I’ll take it.

I never said to throw it away on that play.
Yes u can debate if the other guys would have broken that play up. It was just a bad pass. 1 or 2 yards longer easy td.
But yes one bad pass in last 2 games is good.

That ball was way under thrown it probably shocked Martin.
That like a ss 2 feet away from 2nd base throwing a over hand throw 90 miles per hour. U think the 2nd baseman wouldn’t be shocked if not in a good spot.

You know how you solve the over the middle issue? You go back to 4-5 receiver sets like we did in 2010-2011 and to get away from lining up a “Cowboy Back” that we never intend on throwing the ball to anyway.

This idea that we can have an extra blocker and a receiving threat at the same time only works if you actually throw the ball to the Cowboy Back. Any half-assed decent DC isn’t stupid enough to fall for it when he knows neither Gundy or his offensive staff won’t take a chance at throwing it to the Cowboy Back.

Gundy’s job is to make the opposing defensive coordinator’s job harder and not easier. If I see you only target your Cowboy Back 1-2 times a game I’m going to take my chances and not even worry about him as a receiving threat.

Go back to running offense like in 2010-2011. The Cowboy Back position is not beneficial when it’s not taken advantage of, and I don’t know if you’ve noticed it or not but our offensive line (since 2014) hasn’t been able to consistently open up holes anyway. We end up seeing a lot of 3-4 yards and a cloud of dust with 8-9 players piled on top of each other. We need to get back to having wider splits at the line and faster execution on blocking assignments so the running backs actually get some room to breathe.

1 Like

2 problems
If Sanders only throws to the guy he eyes from the start.
And in is still the highest place to throw pics.

Then give Illingworth a shot. Oh that’s right!! We wouldn’t want Gundy to possibly be wrong on the QB decision again.

Dry ur eyes shane will play

I agree with that. I think Gundy (right or wrong) just doesn’t think we have the right players for that. Either that or he’s deliberately trying to slow the game down to help out the defense. He went up tempo in 2017, but he had the horses to do so. That either means he’s wanting to move the offense to a slower tempo now, or he’s just trying to fit in with the rest of the conference’s shift we’ve been seeing the past couple of seasons. I also think he’s still wrapped up in that 2013 season, he didn’t really have many stars that year so he went to that diamond and tight formation a whole bunch and it worked, but he had guys like Ky Staley and Seaton there for help. Doesn’t have anyone like that now. I think the tight packages worked in 2019, but Gleeson excelled at the pull and counter schemes and chuba was obliterating everyone. Trying to do the same thing last year with Dunn was stupid, and I don’t know if that was Gundy or if it was Dunn just being scared or unable to go his own way. I’d assume a mixture of both. Good thing is we saw more of a spread and gun scheme in the last two games and we looked real fluid in both until we got big leads and Gundy/ Dunn decided to sit on the ball. Hopefully that’s a sign that Dunn is catching up.

I also think that plays are about 99% Dunn. Schemes and game plans leading up to games are about 90% Gundy. Gundy probably tells him all week, “we’re gonna pound the ball and run clock Saturday, so call those types of calls.” So it’s tough to rag too much on Dunn when Gundy tells him before the game to pound the ball and Dunn has to try and guess which play to choose that would work while also satisfying Gundy. At least I’d assume that’s how things go. I did see in one game though where we ran it on 3rd and long and got stuffed, and you could hear Gundy on the headset say “why didn’t we throw it there?” So maybe Dunn has more to do with it than I think. Idk.

Well yea he slow the offense down we huddled. He want to make sure they were running the rite play.

No way you heard that! Gundy has all the say and Dunn all the sudden sucks at coaching wide receivers! The apocalypse is happening in Oklahoma state football man it’s just terrible coaching and players we put on the field

Actually, there’s a hole in Dunn’s back and Gundy has a magical third arm that can detach from his body. He sends it up underneath the bleachers and into the press box before kickoff, and then puts the hand in Dunn’s back and works him like a Puppet. It’s factually proven, Dunn and all the other coaches are robots.

1 Like