Opinion: Big 12 Member or Not, OU Must Stay on OSU's Schedule

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/opinion-big-12-member-or-not-ou-must-stay-on-osus-schedule/

Don’t be silly: Refusing a regular series with OU would only hurt OSU.

1 Like

Why would you voluntarily sign up for a guaranteed loss every single year? Play them in any other sport I don’t care but do not play these clowns in football. Hell Gundy might quit on the spot if they still make him play OU if he doesn’t have to anymore. Like they said on the podcast, OU made the decision to stop playing us, we didn’t decide to stop playing them. F#ck em.

4 Likes

Not playing them would be stupid. Bedlam is the one game we’re guaranteed every year of National audience and a prime time slot. Heck that’s probably part of our marketing pitch to a power 5 conference is hey we can bring you the bedlam game that should help boost tv ratings. At least now it doesn’t block our shot at a conference title, we can play them get the national audience and the revenue and then even if we lose we can still go take care of business the rest of the year and have a chance to compete for conference championships, not playing them would just be foolish.

1 Like

In my personal opinion, it depends on where we land.

If we’re in a power conference with somewhat comparable resources and have a chance to compete…maybe.

If we’re relegated to the group of 5 and we have to watch OU kick our teeth in like we’re Tulsa every year with the resources they got by screwing us over, nooooooo way.

Basically my worst case is us going to the AAC and continuing to play Bedlam. That would be the ultimate little brother result.

I am not on board at all with us accepting a paycheck to get embarrassed. Unless the entirety of that funding goes to academics to make us a highly prestigious university, our football program would be existing to benefit OU. Sounds like a nightmare.

2 Likes

Baloney. Yet another “we’ll always need OU” whimper. You say “ In almost every scenario moving forward OSU is going to take a serious financial haircut.” Do tell - what exactly are all those scenarios and where is your research? Anything that can be claimed without evidence can be disputed without evidence. OSU will be fine and I trust the powers that be to get us there. We don’t need OU or Texas for our welfare or survival. It’s actually a ridiculous notion.

3 Likes

There are some good points posted here for continuing to schedule bedlam, that’s fine and all but personally I don’t want to have anything to do with OU ever again unless it involves a CFP game.

2 Likes

If we went to big 10 we could make little more money. Though i dont see that happening. Pac 12 lose about 5 million a year in revenue but thats workable.

Sorry Kyle. You must have drawn the short straw and had to write this opposing view in order to get more clicks to the website. I don’t want to make this personal, and I feel bad for you if you truly feel this way, but everything you wrote is B.S.

4 Likes

If pac12 adds the rite 4 teams then the revenue goes up.
We need ou before they got undressed a slept with the who@e Texas. Bedlam can be put on hold and they can lose a couple of home games. Heck it should be a 2 for 1 home game series.

I would be against ever playing them again, unless it would make Gundy quit. Then it’s starting to sound really good.

I just hope the SEC has OU play every game starting at 11 o’clock.

2 Likes

Our chances of running the table and going undefeated in football could only happen if we don’t have to play OU. Going undefeated means a playoff birth and also helps recruiting regardless of what conference we are in. So in the long run I see OU leaving as a blessing. We need to shine instead of continuing to be overshadowed by OU. I am tired of family members mistakenly saying that I went to OU because they never heard of OSU.

3 Likes

Although I have similar agreements in some of your points, I differ as to joining the ACC as worst case scenario. I realize that football is the money maker sport and becoming league members with Clemson and whoever else is good at the time probably won’t allow OSU to compete for ACC football crowns….but what about basketball? I believe Boynton is really building something in Stilly. He has proved that he can recruit against anyone in the country. Joining the likes of Duke and North Carolina could only enhance the pokes status. He could recruit Texas as the only school from OK/Texas. Let that sink in. We have never had a recruiting angle like that.

I said the AAC. The ACC would be just fine.

1 Like

Totally disagree with this article. Out of the two, I’d rather play Texas every year than the goons. This is the best opportunity we’ve ever had to totally sever ties with them. The only time we play them should be in the playoffs.

2 Likes

My bad, I agree then. If we are not P5 then bedlam is pointless and a waste of time.

My biggest thing is turning down the prime time slot. Those are hard to come by and if you can have one cooked into your schedule every year that’s usually a good thing. I do think us getting out of the same conference will be good for us though because we can get out of their shadow and if we can take care of our own business we can actually build the brand and further our program further than what was possible previously.

I side with the voices that want to cut uo from our schedule. We’re capable of standing on our own. Uo football has always had an aura of bending/breaking the rules. I don’t want anything to do with them. Corruption plays well in the SEC. I’d rather be strapped for cash than beg for scraps from a ethically challenger neighbor. Good bye…good riddance.

1 Like

P12 revenue has not been that good the last 3-5 years. Not keeping pace with other conferences. What 4 teams can they possibly add to make it more profitable? The remainder of the B12 are not blue blood football schools. No one is dreaming of USC play Texas Tech.
My predictions
ACC:OSU, WVU
B10: Iowa St, Kansas
P12 Texas Tech?
MW: TCU
C USA: Kansas St
Independent: Baylor

I could see that happening, my only correction would be the AAU would definitely take TCU BU and KState.