Opinion: Big 12 Member or Not, OU Must Stay on OSU's Schedule

It’s all about money so let’s look at the money. I’m hearing alot from the other 3 their not hot on expansion. It’s about tv deals. Big 10 has a good one. Without a new tv deal they would lose money.
Let’s start with ur prediction.
Acc
They have a terrible deal it runs to 2036. So expansion could help them make a new deal. But more then likely they would not be over 40 million. I would thing Cincinnati would be higher on their list then us.
There is an out side chance of sec. If Mizzou goes north. Then we r in. Which would only happen if the big 10 knew they could get 110 million more. Mizzou may leave for 5 million less. To get away from the crap their in.
Pac 12 thinks they are good and are moving up to the 4th conference. But what makes usc from staying.
With the expansion of for teams a new deal would be inline. A bidding war with what CBS and fox.
With the addition of us and tech is good numbers.
Everybody talks about boise ,I’m with them. If boise help make a tv deal great. Byu has great numbers.
If those are not then get Houston tcu or Baylor.
If we r going to lose Texas as a recuirting ground, we’ll it helps we already recuirt in the west.
I think all of r sports will be fine in the pac 12.
Then we have big 12 expansion nothing expect a long shot would be better.
Go to fox and see what they would give for a conference of the 8 we have Mizzou Nebraska a&m byu Colorado utah. then a mixture of boise Houston Cincinnati smu ucf use.
If fox wants to to stay In football it my work.sure th lose of those two r tuff but adding those 8 would grow the conference. Only Mizzou Nebraska and a&m would worry about the money. This would be a line up that would get the money.
So out of all of these, the pac 12 is still the best. Acc is a death nail.

Any result outside full membership in a P5 conference is a step backwards for OSU and doubt seriously any OSU power-brokers would think otherwise… the 2 most important things (brand and $'s) would take a big-time hit that would be unacceptable outcomes … playing OU? I favor a required non-conference game alternating years…maintaining the national brand recognition of BEDLAM should not be overlooked and guarantees network coverage early in FB season for both school brands and of course recruiting benefits believe it or not even for the looser…

Who is Kyle Boone? This article is typical of Oklahoma media. OSU needs OU to be relevant? It is not a knee jerk reaction. If bedlam is so important than why is OU separating itself? I am sick of small minded Oklahoma thinking. Do you think that Boone Pickens had this mentality? He saw OSU stand on its own. We need Boone Pickens vision. Not Kyle Boone or Barry Trammel vision .

4 Likes

There is no way OSU should ever schedule OU in football again. Any other sport, great…go for it. But let this go for goodness sakes. They are a football BRAND. OSU is NOT. It’s a new world of two types of collegiate sports - football brand warfare and then everybody else plus every other sport. As a sports fan, I’m going to enjoy the war of football brands. It’s the same as it’s been for years…just moving to being official. And OSU has way more often than not had the better overall athletic program than OU even without the same football revenue. So relax…enjoy sports. Look forward to potential postseason Bedlam football reunions every now and then. OSU will land in one of the other three “big four” superconferences (Power 5 gone) and business will continue as usual without the headache of annual Bedlam football loss or having to put up with UT ego and entitlement (good luck with that in the SEC, Longhorns…:joy:). The money differences between football brand schools and everyone else is going to get much larger, but the impact will not correspond to the same degree as the increase in dollars. A huge gap has always been there. Look at what Baylor has done in recent years with a paltry budget. This is our chance to be on our own and away from the shadow of the brand in Norman that overshadows the reality and truth about the consistently better overall athletic program in Stillwater.

2 Likes

Screw OU and Texas! Could care less if we never play either one of those traitors again in ANY sport! Neither deserve the revenues generated from playing a non conference game of OSU caliber.

1 Like

I’m for an every other year FB if OU will agree to play us in other sports. I think we have won 9 or 10 of the last Bedlam Cups. Let our total sports domination of the gooners continue. At least Ou will always have the 2nd best wrestling program in the SEC.

I would be surprised if ou wanted to continue to play us. It appears they are leaving and not looking back.

They definitely want to keep playing us especially while Gundy is still coaching. They’re essentially getting a free top 25 win every single time.

Kyle- you are completely wrong. Just from a practical point of view wherever OSU ends up their chances of success and making the playoffs is far greater if they don’t play OU. When you look at it from a fan perspective, if your not secretly an OU fan, why in the heck would you want to see the losing trend continue. It makes no sense.

Also, the real Bedlam Ice Bowl was not 2013 it was 1985. Look it up. 2013 was a trip to Key West by comparison. I know because I was at both games!

2 Likes

As an on-site participant in Bud Wilkinson’d final game as OU coach at Norman, I regret what OU has done. It doesn’t excuse anything. We will be able to accomplish more by leaving our nest (including Bedlam) and standing on our own. Projections of future revenue are just that Projections and the SEC getting a $1T in revenue is absurd and why should OSU contribute to their coffers. We should not. TLN OSU '69

2 Likes

There r serious chit going on and u r talking how great.ou is and the down falls of gundy.
Like an idiot u want to lose a league and a stable coach
I know u were never in reality but this proves it. Idiot.
That why I have always said let the adults talk

This is a very bad take. I would love to beat ou and get in-state bragging rights but that does not happen enough to justify playing them in football again. We need to get out of the shadow of ou and not meekly cling to them to try and gain relevance. Strike out on our own, compete for championships in whatever conference we are in to gain our own notoriety. The only way we can get any potential playoff talk is an undefeated season. Getting an almost automatic L will do nothing for us other than ridicule and irrelevance.

1 Like

You are a moron if you think that OU doesn’t want to continue getting a free win against a top 25 team every year.

We should not be talking with teams we need to go to fox and see what the will give us if we get certain teams. If fox wants to stay a player they need to show money. We can get team. And I mean real teams.

What was that was a child from the card table saying something. Just eat ur potatoes and shut up. The adults at the big table are talking.

Why are you acting like a big man Robert? It’s pretty obvious you don’t function at the normal level so I don’t know where all this is coming from.

We don’t need OU. We stand on our own two feet. We are better than conniving, devious OU and Texas. Do we want them? Maybe. If we go P12, we are in an interesting physical location, a swing seat. We could be the link that lets folks consider the relative conference strengths. All that BS aside, let’s strike out on a new adventure and claim our place.

kyle boone is me

i always find it funny how everyone’s first reaction to disagreeing with a take is to immediately try and call into question the credentials or motives of the person who had the take

it’s ok to simply disagree with someone

i’m not a closet ou fan

i don’t have some ulterior motive to arguing for bedlam to continue

i’m a lifelong osu fan whose sports experience has been fundamentally shaped – good and bad – by bedlam, and think osu stands to benefit if it continues

Ridiculous article. Not a personal attack, but as a journalist writing about collegiate sports, can you not see what is happening in the college football arena? The SEC has basically morphed into something akin to minor league baseball, but actually worse, as a player can transfer from any school at any time to a SEC school. The combination of media rights revenue far greater than any amount OSU will receive going forward, plus the new NIL which I guarantee will be unbelievably skewed toward SEC schools (see Alabama QB already making $1 million), leads me to say unless we land in the Big 10, we don’t want to schedule any SEC schools in football (I say Big 10 because currently it’s the only school with media rights revenue similar to SEC).
The collegiate sports landscape has seismically shifted - SEC football is basically minor league football now. Holding on to historical rivalries going forward doesn’t make any sense, unless you want OSU to become the out of conference equivalent to SW Missouri State (scheduling automatic losses just to receive the revenue from the game).

I agree with almost everything you said – and I agree that historical rivalries likely won’t mean as much in the shifting landscape and professionalization of college athletics – except that (as I argued in the piece) holding on to Bedlam is important for OSU. I wholeheartedly believe that. OSU folks I’ve talked to believe that, too. I’m not just saying that to be a contrarian. I get that OU leaving the Big 12 in its dust stings and, in theory, I’d love to not need OU at all. But the truth is it is a major brand in college sports, playing them is beneficial for OSU and likely will be even more so down the road. OU is only going to gain more prominence nationally with this move and I think regardless of where OSU lands, its standing in the national hierarchy is going to take a hit.

1 Like