OSU Baseball: Cowboys Fall to Arkansas 7-3 in Stillwater Regional Final

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/osu-baseball-cowboys-fall-to-arkansas-7-3-in-stillwater-regional-final/

Missed opportunities and a stellar Arkansas defense was just too much to overcome.

1 Like

Tough loss after climbing back to the final game. Boys have some cojones after MST. Plastered 12 before we got untracked. Pitching woes again. Seems every year injuries we have one or twig down.
We gave up a chit load of runs, Josh or Rob always leave one in a batter too late. I just don’t see a lot of talent in our pitching other than Campbell. That implosion against the hogs first game was pathetic. …11 runs on 4 hits :flushed::flushed:
Something has to change in the pitching department

2 Likes

I was disappointed this year. We are relatively young.
Should only lose griffin and Thompson. They have to go.
With campbell and nolen up for the draft. Everyone else should comeback. With growth we should be better.
Like jug says there iscalways next year.

2 Likes

Michael 13 has described my thoughts about this loss and this team, poor coaching decisions when it comes to use of pitchers. Bogusz should have been yanked as soon as he gave up that homer. Just one more instance on how leaving a pitcher in who has shown that he has nothing left. Victor M. should have been brought in after Bogusz left. Huey has been ineffective as of late. For all the praise that Rob Walton gets, he sure does not know when to take out his pitchers. A Little League coach could probably know better. So I blame this loss on our pitching coach, plus the fact that as I have said multiple times this season, Cowboys cannot hit good pitching.
In addition, the main reason we are not going to a Super regional is because of too many injured pitchers. I did not expect this team to win the regional because of lack of healthy pitchers. The injury bug has been a pandemic for most of the OSU teams this past season. Really bad luck. But kudos for the games that this walking wounded baseball team did win. Recruiting needs to go up a notch to get some better pitchers in here, especially a bullpen that can be counted on instead of having to call upon position players. Overall, a successful season that ended in an expectedly disappointing way. We might have won 50 games if the blond bomber had not missed 22 games because of injury, or if Victor M. had not been injured, or Bryce Osmond.

3 Likes

An expected end to a disappointing season. Should’ve been better than this.

3 Likes

I just know in my heart this disappointing season is somehow Gundys fault!

3 Likes

As disappointing the end of the season is, it could have been much worse. This team was just a couple of decent pitchers of going to the end. I am really proud of the fight they showed on Sunday. Any team might have folded after being down 12-0. I remember a 10 run inning against Texas. They have no quit. There is no doubt the player from Arkansas kept his team on the winning side with some fantastic plays. A few errors from Roc didn’t help. We will be back in the stands next year as well. I will for sure.

4 Likes

I told my former oSu roommates I didn’t think we had enough pitching to go deep in the tourney over a month ago. I hate to be right in this case…

2 Likes

Yeah, I kinda was wondering if Holliday will stick w/ Walton as pitching coach…

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind Josh bringing his dad to be the pitching coach. They had issues though when Ward was head coach of leaving guys in too long, but that’s before we realized you can let a stud like Darren Dilks throw 130 pitches then come back two days later and let him throw 80~90. Might just be me but I think we ruined that dude’s arm…

Speaking of Dilks, look what I found: https://www.linkedin.com/in/darren-dilks-65a473202/

1 Like

We have a good core of freshmen , Campbell wasn’t good the last month. I’m sure he will probably go through. I think McLean is 21, pitching I have no idea about. We couldn’t throw strikes against Arkansas and hit 4-5 in the one Inning… Rob doesn’t seem to throw freshmen ?
Every strong team has them throwing. Maybe the portal we will get some help.

1 Like

You got to remember with 20nrounds you never know how will be drafted. If your a big 95 mph lefty tge will take you. Lol.
We got some arms just need to get them some more time. Both medas and osmond showed improvement.
Next your these two should make it to the 6th inning more. Stone mite make the leap if not make him another long relief. Trevor started looking better. Should make a closer next year. The one kid start with a b bogus he could be a mid week.

We got to replace some power grif and nolen going.

His bat improved a lot. Got average up less strike outs. Personal i would stay one more year. What would he be draft at 320 and 20 hr. Now matter how good your in minor you cant get a new contract.

1 Like

I’m with you Nolen needs another year, doubtful if we get it. Pitcher’s you mentioned could be better next year but Rob keeps the same 3-4 relievers to use all year. Some showed real signs of being good but so inconsistent !! Nolen struck out 100 times If I not mistaken, he did much better at the end. Hope we get another Dorsching next year and some arms. The kid that replaced Bogus did a helluva job. Struck out 14 to let us come back and win

1 Like

Isn’t the Benge kid that got hurt right before season opener supposed to be another McLean with a little less power ? His HS era was a .50 which is phenomenal. The incoming class is supposed to be strong with arms. We will miss Thompson

1 Like

If benge is as good as his brother he will hit. I had not heard about him getting hurt. Mite have to move him to out field.

That’s what I read on the + board. He is super talented along with Miller-Green who I never saw?
Benge is supposed to have a great arm and bat.
I’m like you if he’s as good as his brother with the bat play his axx

1 Like

Wow, he is set for life with a postmaster career.
Strange that he does not list his pro baseball career, just that one photo of him in Expos uniform. With his pitch count he reminds me of what happened to Mark Pryor of the Cubs. I am sure his college ball in California ruined his career with the Cubs. Probably the same could be said about Kerry Woods who was great for University of Texas and the Cubs until his arm gave out.
Rob Walton has this reputation of being of being a great coach, so I doubt that Josh would fire him. I also wonder if Tom Holliday is too old to want to go back to coaching? He is great at supplying color commentary during TV games. He has a ton of stories and interacts with the guy calling the games. Unlike on the radio side of Cowboy baseball where the Chief’s main contribution seems to speak as fast as he can giving statistics of each player. There is very little conversation between Rex and the Chief. That could use some improvement. I liked the podcast on PFB last night because they voiced the same complaint I have had during the season. The pitchers were just too inconsistent and there would have been no chance for them to advance from a Super Regional. I would guess that the Cowboys were pretty fatigued when they played that final game against Arkansas, and that could be why they could score when they had guys on base. Let’s see what Josh can come up with for next season. The committee next year might not be so generous to us with the seeding.

2 Likes

If Josh Holliday stays in the top ten most of the season and wins most of his games with a disappointing end result, you all biotch and complain. If Gundy does the same thing and has a disappointing end to the season you all rush to hold his testicles for him, and make sure to let everyone know how great the season was. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I haven’t seen anyone call for josh to be fired. Have you? :thinking:

I haven’t complained once about josh, I will say didn’t josh inherit a program that once went to like 7 straight college World Series?