OSU Defensive Coordinator Derek Mason set to take Sabbatical From Coaching in College

Will we get the 6-6 defenses from K-State? If so, then no thanks. I liked the Mason hire, and I don’t disagree with the post that said he holds some responsibility for the defensive middling performance this year. That said, I hope the next hire is someone, who like Derek Mason, can generate some fire and enthusiasm for the direction of the football team. I personally don’t think JBC or Richmond does that, but rather tells the fanbase, we’re satisfied with our bowl game appearance season and want to run it back again.

1 Like

I agree, but you have to play zone some. Especially in the Big 12 where 2/3rds the QBs can move. You get Duggan a man-look and its an automatic 20 yards for the QB which we saw a bunch of too. If you want to be disappointed with the defense under Mason, I’d argue it was the regression of the D-Line. Oliver wasn’t as good. Ford wasn’t as good. Brock Martin wasn’t as good. Tyler Lacy wasn’t as good. Outside of Ben Kopenski, who had no expectations, who on the D-Line played up to their expectations? That is my criticism of DM, and also why I’m not interested in JBC or GR as his replacement.

It sounds like he heard the alarm bell beforehand and decided to jump of the Titanic before Gundy is done steering it directly into an iceberg.

2 Likes

When you go from scoring 45 per game to struggling to score over 15 points per game it tells me we don’t have as much depth as Gundy claimed at the beginning of the year. A lot of things offensively were masked by Sanders ability at times to create something out of nothing.

2 Likes

Anyone listening to the talk of OSU on the radio today?

I was more impressed with Mason’s results than Dunn’s. And no, I don’t believe this was by choice for Mason. No way.

1 Like

Anyone notice Clemson firing their OC? 1 year and Dabo could see that guy ain’t it. We’re going to be on year 4 of Dunn. Gundy won’t make the big boy decisions required to move to the next level.

2 Likes

Blah blah blah.

Since that guy coached at Clemson should we hire him.

1 Like

He coached there, did a bad job, and now he’s fired. Gundy should take notes because Dunn and Dickey should’ve been taken out behind BPS and fired by now.

1 Like

I think it was by choice. I don’t think he wanted to tarnish his brand in what is likely a rebuilding year next year. 80%+ of our offensive production and 50% of our defensive production graduated or transferred, our OC’s preferred system (mobile QB) and our on-campus QBs talents don’t align, we’ve lost our WR room, and we’re ranked near the bottom in the conference in recruiting. If your goal is to make head coach again, what about this situation advances that goal?

Why?

1 Like

Because results matter. Gundy hasn’t won a title in over a decade. Our offense was mediocre at best this year, and failed to adjust to the changing conditions. The lack of preparation for the bowl game was glaring.

What’s ironic is for all the bitching Gundy does about today’s generation being unaccountable, he seems to have zero ability to hold himself or his coaches accountable for the team’s results.

Edit: I answered. Your turn: Why shouldn’t Dunn and/or Dickey be fired? What have they done that warrants another season? Its not their results based on how we finished. Its certainly not their recruiting acumen, given our current rankings. So why should they be kept?

3 Likes

Have you seen a lick of improvement in our OLine woes? Have you seen the predictable playcalling? Did you not see us fail to crack 20 points for half the season?

3 Likes

What changing condition.

How many bowls games should he have won. Do you know his record in bowl games. In big 6 bowl games.

What is your business. Take a bulider. Do you fire a build because a fire burnt the lumber by the act of god.

1 Like

Interesting list by the O’Colly: OSU football: 6 candidates for defensive coordinator job

2 Likes

So what exactly did you read or hear that caused you to come to this conclusion? I’d like to see it or hear it myself.

2 Likes

what radio and what are they saying? A lot of us don’t live in Oklahoma so it’s hard to just tune in.

1 Like

I’m in the finance industry. We fire the bottom 10% of our employees every year, and we pay the ones worth keeping ■■■■ well. Bowl games wins are nice but they are meaningless. But then again, we’ve had this argument before. You are happy as long as we make a bowl game each year.

How many conference championships does he have? In how many years? So he’s batting a little over 5%? Sorry, but that’s just not acceptable.

As for your builder reference, not after the 1st fire. But by the 3rd or 4th fire (or in Gundy’s case the 9th or 10th), yea, its time for a new builder.

2 Likes

Why didnt we crack 20 point in the last 6 games.
Why did the line lose for well developed lineman last season.
By skill level webber and casey were fine. They went awol. Is that really a coaches fault. I dont mean not good not good or not starting but mental awol. These guys aren’t even in the portal.

Talking about development. We lost 4 good lineman. They didnt want to play behind the starters we got for 3 more years

1 Like

Thanks for this. A very interesting list.

1 Like