OSU Football: Defensive Growing Pains Should Have Been Expected, Communication is Key

Originally published at: OSU Football: Defensive Growing Pains Should Have Been Expected, Communication is Key | Pistols Firing

Half of OSU’s defense 1s logged their first start against CMU.

1 Like

Everybody knows me, im the first to want buy in to 90%.

Cmu’s 2 backs were big and string running. We missed tackled them.

There where same pass plays that black was on his man, and their qb got the ball in.

I dnt mind no blitz, if we get more coverage pressure.

The lb zone was not working out.

Just like the recievers last year we will get there.

1 Like

“Communication is key…”
Well…Start Communicating!

2 Likes

You dnt have yell at them. :upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face::rofl::rofl::rofl::innocent::innocent::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Maybe the teams you were on had communication down immediately. Not my experience. All required some time.

2 Likes

I don’t have any doubt communication is part of it, but if we get to game 4 or 5 and our coverage still looks the same I’m going to start questioning what else is wrong. Because I’m being told that 90% of it is correctable.

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

I was being facetious

2 Likes

You and a lot of others, including me, will be questioning things if we get to game 4/5 with these same issues

3 Likes

What I’m looking for most is those in game adjustments. Knowles was a master at in game and especially half time adjustments. Last week I didn’t see anything that made me feel good as far as in game adjustments…it actually got worse as the game went on. Hopefully coaches and players will get through the growing pains and improve but part of me is scared they won’t.

1 Like

2018 Knowles adjustment werent that get.

We shut down nd with out knowles in the second half, but we still had all those great players.

Lets give them a lil time.

2 Likes

We also shut down many teams in the second half WITH KNOWLES. You’ll do anything to make sure other coaches never receive any credit unless they have the last name Gundy.

1 Like

Lol poor joy. Your more worried about gundy getting credit then i am. I pretty sure ive giving covid alot of credit to the success of the defense. Defense had 3 players drafted, all were because they got an extar year.

I pointed out how the defense preformed in the uo and nd because of the similar teams.

Your always giving credit to someone else. Like the offense you credit dana and monken. You actually have some weird idea the gundy has slowed the offense down the last couple of years. Now gundy turned the switch on.

Then your ideas about recruiting. Your a mess.

1 Like

Name me the last time we had three defensive players drafted in the same year?

It’s because they were the only ones to give Gundy a middle finger.

All Gundy did was steal the Lincoln Riley playbook once he went to USC.

So it’s unreasonable to think a top 25 program should have a top 25 recruiting class for the first time in 11 years?

1 Like

Lol your a mess. You are wired differently. What did knowles have to do with those 3 getting drafted. Or, are you saying Knowles made the covid year.
Look at you go gurl. Dana and monken where provided great players while they were here. There were no middle finger.
Now your going with riley helping gundy. I really wonder if your serious. I cant imagine someone so stupid. But, you always come back with worse comments.

1 Like

WHAT ?? You can’t be serious joy. You always pump Riley for some reason ( goon fan) Gundy has always played fast when we have the personal to do it. You’re a blithering idiot sometimes with your screwball comments. Two LBS missing off this team that are in the league. Two lost in the portal and we should be as good ? Come on , you aren’t that stupid?!?
But thinking Gundy stole Riley’s offense :joy::joy:

1 Like

Nice excuses. We have, supposedly, one of the best D-lines around. MAKE.SOME.ADJUSTMENTS. CMU went to getting the ball out quick. What’s the recipe to disrupt that, Mike? Derrick? Get your DBs up to the line and bump the receivers!!!

What does that do besides disrupt timing? Takes longer for receivers to run their routes which provides more time for DL’s and if you blitz an LB, more chances you’re gonna get a sack or have someone block the pass with their hand. These D-coordinators are so conservative and generally won’t do it. It’s asinine not to try IMO, esp in 3rd-and-long or 4th-and-long in obvious passing situations, but let’s make it easier for opponents’ offenses.

1 Like

It was TURRIBLE. Didn’t look like they made any halftime adjustments either. The Mason hire, okay, only the first game, doesn’t look great thus far. I wanted Joe Bob…

True, but who was the D-coordinator for that game? :wink:

1 Like

Well just a year ago we started the season with 2 (maybe 3) of the worst offensive games against pretty bad teams but we let Dunn keep at it and look where we are now. I agree it doesn’t look like a great hire now but 1 game isn’t enough. If we’re still giving up 44 pts on average at the end of the year, then we can definitely say it was a bad hire. However if Gundy has done anything well over the years it’s hire good coordinators (as long as you dont count Vance Bedford)

2 Likes