OSU Football: What Eight Wins Means in 2020

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/osu-football-what-eight-wins-means-in-2020/

Gundy called the Cheez-It bowl the most satisfying win of his career.

It’s the 11th 8 or more win season. Good yr overall.
Get one of the QBs to step up it’ll get better next yr.

1 Like

Jesus Christ. “ This win might be as satisfying and gratifying a win for me personally, selfishly, as any that I’ve had in my career.” This guy is mentally checked out.

Take Gundy’s 9 best winning percentage and he averages 3rd in the conference. Kind of sums up his career. Most years just not quite good enough to compete for a championship. Started while he was a quarterback and continues today.

1 Like

“Early in the game offensively we couldn’t do anything wrong” - but then unfortunately we went back to either hail mary or runs up the middle. nothing in between. no passes over the middle to TE’s. i don’t understand why Gundy/Dunn can’t see what was working early and think “let’s keep doing that”.

1 Like

Instead of the game being one of the most satisfying in Gundy’s career, I would say it is one of his most lucky wins. He had lady luck on his side otherwise it would have been a loss because of the second half play calling. Go out and get the team an experienced and successful offensive coordinator Gundy. You have done it in the past so just do it again.

Take the Gundy era out take OSU’s 9 highest winning percentage in the 100 year history and where does that rank?

2 Likes

I guess the fact that after we got up by 21 they started blitzing and gave us fits.

Gundy is the master of good-enough-to-not-get-fired, but not good enough to be truly fun. He is pretty unique as I cannot think of many comparisons in college football. The closest might be Kirk Ferentz at Iowa.

There is not much precedent for firing a coach who consistently wins 10 games every year at a school like OSU, but there is also not much precedent for not firing a guy who goes 2-100 against his only rival and never wins conference championships.

3 Likes

Take Gundy era out and were a lose program

1 Like

Exactly, I just looked it up on sports reference, since the inception of the big 8, which is 1960 to present, if you take the Gundy era out, so 1960-2004, 44 years of history, Oklahoma State had 4 seasons where they won 70% or more of their games.

2 Likes

The obvious counterpoint to that is that Gundy’s success coincided with T Boone’s cash infusion into the program. Due to those massive donations, this is not the same program that existed during the pre-Gundy eras. To me, it is hard to say how much of our recent success should be attributed to Gundy vs. how much should be attributed to T Boone.

1 Like

John Cooper at Ohio State. 70-30-4 while he was there. Tied for the conference championship 3 times. Couldn’t beat Michigan (1-9 or something like that) and they let him go. Aside from the first and last years he was a pretty consistent winner. That’s fairly similar, but they couldn’t put up with losing to Michigan. I’m believer that it’s not Gundy, it’s OU, but you probably won’t see him fired any time soon if he keeps losing to them but winning 8+ per year.

2 Likes

How is this a bad thing? Wasn’t the off-season critique of Gundy that he was too aloof from his players and now he’s saying he’s revelling in their personal success. The team came in fired up, so there was good energy there. That’s important.

2 Likes

Pappy Waldorf coached 5 years for us, played OU every year and never lost and won 3 conference titles.
Jim Lookabaugh coached 10 years and won 3 conference titles.

1 Like

I’m not against a change, but I’m against the notion that because he’s not winning a championship fire him immediately and the next guy will be better. After 15 years change may not be a bad thing, and the next head coach needs to be well scouted and someone you feel very confident in, another 3-5 years of 8-10 win seasons while you find that person is not a bad thing in my opinion.

1 Like

What years was this? Because we only 3 seasons of 70% win percentage since 1960, in the 40’s and 30’s yes they had good win percentages and success but they were playing teams like Oklahoma central and Oklahoma Baptists… I said 1960 to present because I consider that modern football, so please give more information and explain more about your post.

I’m glad that Gundy seems to be interested in the players. After the summer I thought he didn’t care at all. But to say this is one of the most satisfying wins he’s had. Come on. He barely squeaked out a win in the cheezit bowl.

Nice go back 70 yrs. And u didnt mention lookabaugh ou record or how many times Waldorf tied and he is 90 yrs back. Way to keep it present.

2 Likes

I looked it up yes, Waldorf coached in the 30’s and Lookenbaugh had two good seasons in 1944 and 1945, in the middle of WW2. This is slightly outdated and skewed, you’re points are invalidated.

1 Like