OSU, OU ADs Say Bedlam Series Will End When OU Joins the SEC

Yea i for got the north south stuff. Well why didnt the pick each other up in non con. Tv ratings would have been big.

Its a big game for ticket sales and state commerce, no doubt. But, I am leaning in the opposite direction. I think not having the bedlam game will force OSU to adjust its strategy on filling the stands. We sold out the game against an FCS opponent last weekend for example. Also, whether we’ve been competitive or not, the removal of bedlam should change the annual expectations of the OSU fan. For good or for bad, many fans have had the attitude that winning bedlam in football was “good enough.” Now hopefully that block of fans can take a look at the bigger picture and expect to win the conference and be in the mix for the playoff.

The new Big 12 should be nothing but a positive for OSU in football. As much as I love to hate the Sooners, I don’t think I’ll miss the football game.

3 Likes

@TayJ You are one of the good ones. Thank you in advance for actually having a solid take and discussion.

Selling out last week was a massive, massive positive sign for the program. Absolute bigtime.

"The new Big 12 should be nothing but a positive for OSU in football" Do you worry at all about the perception nationally? Do you worry that the ceiling for OSU as a football program just got much lower by what the new look Conf will be?

“Thats the only reason there will be no more Bedlam” . Thats not true at all. If that was the case…then why didnt Bedlam go away in the other sports too?

First, we don’t know if Bedlam will continue in other sports but if it does its because scheduling is easier AND one loss does not knock a team out of contention for a playoff spot (or whatever post season each sport has) like it does in Football. There is no way that OU wants to lineup against OSU as on OOC game then have to play an SEC schedule. Also, I hear that the SEC is moving to 9 conference games and you can bet your paycheck OU does not want to play 10 or 11 P5 teams.

1 Like

Well, we’ve known what they’re all about, it’s been on their helmets a long time, zerOU.

1 Like

Hang on…you said Bedlam went away solely because of money. Thats not true. I completely agree with what you now stated as the reason/difference between Bedlam in football and the other sports. But thats not what you originally said.

And yes…mark it down…Bedlam will continue in other sports. The non-revenue sports MUST have it in Stillwater. OSU is upset and I get it. But theyre not cutting out Bedlam draws across the board.

You touched on an interesting point as far as OU “wanting” Bedlam. Do I think deep down the OU brass WANTS to do whatever they can to make Bedlam happen? Of course not. OU doesnt need Bedlam. I think deep down Joe C would give a good faith effort to play that game for a few years. Long-term…I think the OU people couldnt care less
I think youre exactly right on the the SEC going to 9 or 10 games. I think when that happens you will see more of these Non-Con rivalries go away such as UGA-Ga Tech, ND-USC, Clemson-Couth Car

As an OU fan, the rivalry I will be livid to lose would be Texas. Thats always been and always will be the biggest rival for OU. Thats no disrespect to OSU in any way. OSU is in its heyday as a program and can beat OU in any year.

“Castiglione” and “good faith” don’t go together.

2 Likes

Nebraska wasn’t tired of zerOU, it was all due to Texa$$ and the Shorthorn Network.

Just out of curiousity…what does the term/phrase “ZeroU” even mean? Why is that a derogatory term to OU? Honest question

Uo is texas butch. Everything texas want uo did.
Nebraska was just crying.

You got to kidding. Your a genius about everything but zero u.
Everybody dnt tell him leave him hanging on horns down

They had a longstanding partnership with OSU and they broke it. If they wanted to keep that partnership in tact, that was as easy as literally doing nothing. They capitulated to the SEC and to Texas and did so at OSU’s expense. Ten years ago, OU and their fanbase was trying to be the SECbuster, now they’re signing up. If you can’t beat 'em…

The non-revenue sports are much easier to reschedule because they’re non-revenue sports. I don’t think they should play those, either, but that’s a much easier change.

Does OSU need this game? If we start winning the conference, we don’t. Does it lower our ceiling? No. They’re expanding the playoff, so the landacape is changing entirely. We can make the playoff as a 1 or 2 finisher in the Big XII and it’ll be that much easier without OU.

Let me ask you this, though. You’re under the impression that OU leaving hurts us, and I agree that it makes things less stable for us, though I can we can still find our footing. Why on Earth would anyone, in any business, continue to partner with someone who sold you out and hurt your business? No one is doing that. Maybe you put up with it–while you make contongencies to get away from them–if they have you over a barrel, but OSU is telling OU that they do not prop us up and they do not have us over a barrel. I think it’s a big league, brave move.

2 Likes

I’m not under the impression OU leaving hurts OSU. I am certain of the fact that OU/TX leaving the Big 12 hurts the Big 12. That is inarguable. How much it hurts OSU specifically will remain to be seen. It may be quite a bit. It may be very little. I’ve never suggested it was a deathnail to the Cowboys.

OU isn’t joining the SEC because they can’t beat em. If that was the case the entire college football world would be joining the SEC. You’re smart enough to know why they’re joining the SEC. So let’s not turn this into some type of discussion that a few of these other fools have.

I don’t look at it as a bold move. I look at it as though it’s a sign of where the OSU program is. If this was 1980, both schools would jump at keeping Bedlam. But it’s not. This is ab era in which OU hesitates to schedule OSU because of how good the program is. OSU doesn’t rattle in fright due to losing Bedlam. Like I’ve said……there is zero slight on my end of what the OSU program is.

What is deathnail? Maybe you meant “death knell.”

More good news for you and Sooner Nation: academics don’t matter in the SEC.

2 Likes

You got me. I’m currently using my phone instead of at my desktop. Guilty as charged.

I’m sure most of the college world would join the SEC if they could. Yeah, it’s about money. I just think it’s funny how the rhetoric changed. It was all “our conference is just as good, we can beat the SEC and shut them up,” then relative silence for a few years, now joining up. I get, to a degree, saying what you have to say to make the best of your situation, but I feel that’s just duplicitous at some point. That’s sports, all business, and life in general, I guess. Bigger than OU. Just fed up with the, “well, you have to say the right thing even if you in no way believe it” mentality. It’s one thing I like about Gundy. I believe he believes everything he says. He may omit things do as not to trash players too harshly in public, but I don’t think he lies.

Hurting the conference hurts OSU. It hurts TV money. It hurts national perspective, but expanding the playoff offsets that a bit even though I agree with Gundy that a 12 team playoff is absurd. It benefits us, but it’s wrong. I just don’t know why you would trust anything OU would do from here on out if you’re OSU’s administration. If you say what you don’t mean and if they’ll put you in a bind for money, why would you rework your schedule for them? Why would we be able to rely on an informal partnership when we couldn’t rely on a formalized one?

2 Likes

Rhetoric is PR or political. The company line never changes, regardless of the entity you’re referring to. You referenced many months ago somehow OU’s pressers and statements in the aftermath of Riley leaving as a sign of doom & gloom in Norman. It’s PR. Nothing more. Nothing less. You copy & paste the playbook at every weekly presser. Every postgame. Every halftime interview. Every recruiting signing day statement. Gundy is far less robotic than most. I completely will give you that. But he lies too. They all do. His remarks in regards to the job openings at other programs he’s flirted with is not a sig of complete honesty. That is not knocking him either……it’s how these things have to be done. It’s the profession. It’s the era in which we’re living.

You and I have disagreed on here before but I think you’re a smart poster. Having said that……what in the hell would you have done if you were running the Uni of Oklahoma and had the opportunity to jump in up the money that the SEC will bring!!! You hehe continually said or come after the OU brass for doing……EXACTLY WHAT ANY OTHER UNIVERSITY WOULDVE DONE. Again……no one from Norman cares if Bedlam is played. That’s not what the fan base would want. It’s not what the program needs. It literally adds nothing in OU’s eyes.

I think Gundy was sincere in looking at other jobs. I think he was unhappy with Holder and was really exploring other jobs. Unless you mean something else. The cynic would say he made flirtations to get what he wanted. I think he stopped flirtations because concessions were made, but it’s not why he started them.

I agree that they don’t care about Bedlam. It’s what is going to kill college football in 20 years. Everyone is too focused on monetizing their product instead of worrying about what makes their product monetizable. The kids won’t be watching in a generation because the heart won’t be there and it’ll be the Great Value version of the NFL.

The wisdom has always been that OU would never make any move without OSU and that it was a package deal. I think that changed because OU has gotten a little desperate. Gundy threw that jab about “clearing up debt”. It’s common knowledge that OU overextended themselves. They have to make the move because they got too ambitious and unwise with their money. They deserve to be needled for giving away their leverage. They needed the SEC more than the SEC needed them and everyone knew it.

3 Likes

@jake4 Nebraska, A&M, USC, Missouri, Colorado, Texas & OU among others have all moved. None of those schools did it out of desperation. They did it because it’s where the landscape is headed. There is more to come. OU is obviously a program and university in which you loathe…….but they do manage to make a few decisions that are the correct ones.

We have stated our opposing stances on where college football will be. You think it’s headed downward. I think it’s going nowhere but up as a product. It will likely lose some lesser programs…….but the popularity of college football is here to stay.

“They needed the SEC more than the SEC needed them……” That’s an obvious statement that everyone knows. That same statement is applicable to every program within the SEC. Even Alabama. The SEC is it’s depth and quality of programs as a whole. It’s the richest Conf due to the success of it. People think Bama is the only big boy over there. They’re the biggest currently.

Very good discussion. Even though your hatred for OU limits your ability to be impartial, I appreciate the discussion. Also, appreciate that it doesn’t get into the sewer like some of these can.