PF Book Club?

That’s one I’ve added to my list. Also the Lewis Mumford book mentioned several times in Boom Town, The City in History.

A few others that have come up recently that are somewhat related are Not In My Neighborhood by Antero Pietila and Crabgrass Frontier by Kenneth T. Jackson.

1 Like

Wow. This is a pretty wild looking map of the highways to be honest.

2 Likes

The absolute best solution for that area is to tear down the north loop of the IDL (244) and reroute it to the South which is already there. Continue working with Langston to grow that area into a vibrant and diverse area up Greenwood to Pine. We also need to take down the OSU tower from the hill where blacks were shot from in 1921.

Here’s some more history on the area from Michael Bates (conservative MIT grad) on the area in regard to urban renewal:
https://thislandpress.com/2014/06/18/steps-to-nowhere/

1 Like

You see Sam Cooper Blvd in the middle, there? See where it stops when it hits that park? That’s Overton Park, which is also where the zoo and Brooks Museum of Art are. That was supposed to be I-40.

Also, US 72 is not a “highway”, per se. It’s Poplar Avenue, it’s like one of those city streets that doubles as a highway, it’s weird. It’s like Memorial in Tulsa, a “main drag”.

1 Like

Started this.

Im glad there are great “neighborhood” movies like Do The Right Thing so I have a frame of reference for what she’s talking about. The way she describes things is hard to conceptualize from Oklahoma.

2 Likes