PF Book Club?

I found the suicide stories and the context parts to be some of the most compelling. We tend to evaluate everything based on outcomes (which is important), but it shed light on the notion that outcomes are often inseparable from the contexts in which they occur.

I also thought the Brock Turner stuff was really compelling. While it doesn’t exonerate him, it does provide a lot of context for how complicated consent can be in settings where alcohol is consumed in such massive quantities.

I suspect most of us would have a hard time confidently saying we would act on a significantly higher moral ground had we and the other person consumed the levels of alcohol they consumed.

1 Like

I want to play! What’s the next read?

Boom Town; got it

1 Like

We gonna talk boom town?

Yes, let’s do this tomorrow.

1 Like

We out here.

Question No. 1 – Did you feel like the way the author painted OKC was fair or unfair?

Fair. 100%. It’s a city that’s trying too hard to be something it is not. A pufferfish, of sorts. He hit the nail on the head.

I thought so too, although I cringed at times at a few of the descriptions. But I thought overall it was fair.

I realized that I was so utterly clueless about my state and OKC that I can’t even really judge his angle. But, If everything he said is true about the great annexation and the urban renewal plan, then yes. Those plans were 100% attempts at vain glory driven by megalomaniacs. My impression of OKC has developed over the last 20 years or so since the MAPS program, which seems to be a big improvement.

That was pretty much my take as well. Being from Tulsa, I’m not as familiar with OKC and its history, so there was a lot of eye opening stuff in there. His description of walking through OKC pretty much aligned with what I’ve seen of parts of the city when I’ve visited in the past, but to be fair, I think you’d find similar landscapes in many large US cities.

1 Like

Did you all feel like he was overly sympathetic to Timothy McVey?

Not really, but I can see why you (or anyone) would think that, especially with the way he opened with the Bills thing.

I’m only 3 months late to finishing this.

I felt like there was a lot of unnecessary shots taken at the beginning of the book about OKC. Those toned down as the book went on. As a Tulsan, I definitely had moments of “Hey you can’t say that about OKC, only I can say that about OKC!” Of course, he’d say the same or worse about Tulsa. The rest of the picture was pretty accurate, I thought.

As much as anything, it made me want to read more about what “Urban Renewal” has done to cities. It seems like it has been a disaster everywhere. It is clearly a part of why OSU-Tulsa and 244 are where they are.

1 Like

I don’t think “urban renewal” or “gentrification” is necessarily bad. But it definitely needs fine tuning.

Having just read this, and The Power Broker being seared into my mind leads me to believe that a lot of the problems were caused by autocrats who did what they thought was best without considering the people who would be most affected. This seems especially true of where highways go.

@Dribble!!! That’s your thing!

I really, really need to look into this now. That’s two people who’ve brought this up.

Also, “Pink Houses” by John Mellencamp mentions this in passing.

2 Likes

I highly recommend all of The Power Broker, but this PDF is of a chapter that discusses the destruction of an entire neighborhood for a highway.

2 Likes

If you look at a map of Memphis, you’ll notice the interstates surround it…but don’t go through it. I’ve heard it wasn’t built through because it would’ve messed with the zoo, specifically.

3 Likes

Yep. Along with this one.

Jacobs took Robert Moses head on and that’s why NYC is so vibrant today without highways slicing it up. Places like Tulsa just tossed highways through areas like the Greenwood and essentially ruined any chance of a long term revival naturally happening.

2 Likes

And I-40 could have easily sliced right through the middle of town. I gladly loop around when driving back to North Carolina.

1 Like